The Road To The Inch Dumbbell

Rick Walker

07/11

(EH = Each Hand)

2.5" "non-revolving" handle: 135x1EH, 145x1EH, 155x1EH, 165x1EH, 175x1EH, 185 (max weight 2 days ago) x3 EH, x3 EH, then bumped to 190 x3 left, x2 1/2 right.

2" "non-revolving" handle: 190x1 EH, 195x1 EH, 205x1 EH, 215 (Max weight 2 days ago) x3 left, x1 1/2 right, got pysched, 215 x3 EH, x3 EH.

35's pinched around back: could only mange 1 time around. Butt got in the way of the larger plates. So I switched back down to 25s.

25s pinched around back: 25 times, 22 times.

56 card decks: x1 torn, x1 torn.

Rick Walker :rock

07/12

Rolling Handle 1-arm wrist curl over preacher bench: worked up to 55 pounds for 5 sets of 6. Wow. Hit my hands as hard as it did my wrists and forearms.

Hammer levering: 8 and 10 pound hammers, levered in all directions

07/13

2.5" "non-revolving" handle: 135x1EH, 145x1EH, 155x1EH, 165x1EH, 175x1EH, 185x1EH, 200x2.5 LH, 2 RH x 2 LH, 2 RH, x 2 LH, 0 RH.

200 LH 2.5" bar

2" "non-revolving" handle: 200x1 EH, 210x1 EH, 220x1 EH, 230 x 3 LH, 3 RH x 2.5 LH, 1.5 RH, got pissed off, x 3 LH, 2.5 RH.

Prs again in both lifts-and for triples to boot!

Tore 1 deck of cards and called it a night. Very busy today workout wise...surprised I had enough in me for prs.

Jedd, if you read this: tell that Inch dumbbell he better have his wood screws!

Rick, I seem to remember that you have a loadable 2 3/8" handle from Ted's Shed. You could train on this using the type of collars that prevent handle and plate rotation. I had Ted make me a pair of these collars some time ago, and they make the loadable dumbbell feel solid.

For the past better part of a year, I have tried everything in my quest to lift the Inch.

Things I have tried that have left me unsuccesful:

-Ted's Shed bar

-Deloading the actual inch

-Severe thumb work on all planes of movement

-Rolling handle work

-Plate wrist curls

-Barbell wrist curls

I gave all of these things a month or more and came out the other side not much, if at all, stronger.

So, I need to get after exercises that I have not tried. Jedd had good results from the non-revolving handle, so I might as well give that a try.

I dont have the Ted's Shed clamps, and I am doing my best to not purchase anymore grip stuff (hence the reason for selling a ton of it).

Having smaller hands, I realize the only way to get to the point where I can lift the Inch is to strengthen my wrists.

07/14

Bunch of closes with the ISG, different spring settings, just messing about.

Rolling Handle 1-arm wrist curl over preacher bench: I should have specified that I use a 2.5" rolling handle.

Anyway, 35x6 EH, 45x6 EH, 55x6 EH, 65x6 EH (this was absolute hell) I tried it agian and could not get more then 3 so I did: 60x6 EH, x6 EH, x6 EH, x6 EH.

Still a 5 pound PR.

I then did some hammer curls over the preacher bench for shits and giggles, and I found I really like the way they hit my forearms, so I am throwing them in. I used a measly 35-pound DB, still having some bicep tendon problems so this is quite painful. I expect I will go up quickly-

35 x6x6x6 EH.

Jedd, if you read this: tell that Inch dumbbell he better have his wood screws!

Not sure what wood screws are, but the Inch said:

"Rick Walker lifting me??? Ha ha ha ha ha ha."

It was really loud and hurt my ears so you better teach him who's boss, bro.

-Jedd-

rick, you mentioned deloading......can you tell me the name of the bands again? wernt they jump stretch bands? and how big are your hands anyway? are you still trying for the 6 10's plate pinch?

rick, you mentioned deloading......can you tell me the name of the bands again? wernt they jump stretch bands?
JumpStretch bands, the mini bands. Get em here: JumpStretch Minis
nd how big are your hands anyway?

around 7 and 3/4". When I grasp the Inch handle, there is almost an inch between my fingers and thumb.

are you still trying for the 6 10's plate pinch?

I did not train my grip at all for about 2 months. When I decided to come back, I took a look at what I have done, and what I wanted to do, and the Inch db sat atop that list. I will pinch 6-10s, I will get 2-45s. It is only a matter of time. I am more interested now in going for total hand strength from my elbows to my finger tips. I just want to have 2 big ole meat hooks hanging off my body, and be able to do anything with them, anytime, any place. This may take 5 year, it may take 20, but I have switched my focus from worrying about certifications and feats, to just training hard and enjoying the ride.

thanks for the info on the bands rick......you make a good point about the certs......i still want to certify with IM for my #3, but after hearing those words it doesnt mean nearly as much. thanks for a different point of view.

Rick,

from what I know about the way that you train I would guess that two different factors may be at work here:you are doing too much either in frequency, volume, (most likely both). If you are doing active rest, you may be overdoing that portion and also underutilizing stretching and dexterity development. Certainly a strong wrist is important but it is only one of the several keys to successful thick bar lifting. The exercises you have listed are sound so it is very likely that your application is the problem. I also see no opposing muscle group action though you may just not have listed it.

John,

What sort of dexterity movements/stretching are important for thick bar?

What are the other keys to thick bar lifting?

Opposing muscle action? Such as finger extension?

Thanks-

Rick, have you considered patient microloading of a 2 3/8'' loadable handle? That is what my son and I did to get to 170lbs and beyond.

I think OldGuy has hit it on the head. If you just add maybe only a half pound a workout and workout twice a week that a pound a week. Say the program works for 12 weeks. You just jumped 12 pounds. Maybe you can get 15 weeks or 15 pounds out of it. I have been told this is the hardest style of training one can do. Consistent and constant bust ass effort week in and week out is the name of the game.

Without oly plates that small, How do I micro load the Ted's Shed bar?

Any suggestions? Again, I do not want to purchase more then what I have.

I have 2'' washers that weigh 9oz. You could take the washers and grind or cut some off of it if you wanted to get even samller incriments. I took mine to the post office for weighing.

What small plates do you have Rick? What I did was train doing many singles. With each single during the workout I would add no more than a pound and could add as little as 1/2 pound. I used 1 1/4, 2 1/2, 2 3/4, and other odd sizes combined with regular sizes. I used nothing less than 1 1/4. For example, to add 1/2 lb I would remove 2 x 2 1/2 and add 2 x 2 3/4. I also used both 5 1/2 and 11 lb plates. Take off 2 x 10 and add 2 x 5 1/2, increases the load by only one pound.

I have 1 1/4 plates-but they are standard size, not olympic. The Ted's Shed bar only takes Olympic sized plates, and I dont have any magnet plates either.

Patience is not one of my strong points. I guess I will get there when I get there.

You can't afford 2'' washers?

Sure. I was referring to micro loading plates. Washers-no problem.

Finding them in my population of about 2000 town is the problem. Local hardware carries about 2 pounds of 60d nails, so finding large washers will be tough.

I will have to drive around and see what I can kick up.

Just tie the washers to the bar, big deal.

Regardless of the exercises that you choose, if you overdo it , you will go backwards more than forwards.

Sure. I was referring to micro loading plates. Washers-no problem.

Finding them in my population of about 2000 town is the problem. Local hardware carries about 2 pounds of 60d nails, so finding large washers will be tough.

I will have to drive around and see what I can kick up.

Rick,

Contact Infinite Strength.

Perhaps they will sell you some of their Micro Plates that they cut for their INFINITE SLEDGE?

THey are 1oz,2oz,4oz,8 oz,16oz,32oz.,30mm i.d.

Small plates supposedly accurate within a gram and a half or so.

They have ACCULAB scales to keep the weights on.

They crank these plates off a C&C lathe so its automated.

They aren't on the market yet .

What sort of dexterity movements/stretching are important for thick bar?
A better question would be "What sort of dexterity movements/stretching are important for ALL grip movements?" The answer would be all as many as you can think of since by increasing your dexterity, you strengthen your neural connections between your hands and brain and thus are able to use your actual strength to a greater potential. I have recommended the Hand Health course in the past for this very reason.(among others)
What are the other keys to thick bar lifting?

Besides the obvious, you need strength in the tendons throughout your fingers, not just in your strongest leverage points. A strong thumb is necessary, so dont over do it.

Opposing muscle action? Such as finger extension?

Yes, opposing muscle groups such as the finger and wrist extensions work isometrically to suport the forearm and finger flexors in heavy attempts.