It's Time For The Gripboard To Dominate Once Again

Bill Piche

Here is my new idea for the GripBoard.

I just got one of these (www.powerballs.com). It is not some toy. It is a SERIOUS grip device. It's fun. It's addictive. It's challenging. it is BLASTING my hands and wrists!

There is a top 60 list AND a WORLD RECORD for RPM's generated. This got me thinking since it is SO challenging and gets dang tough when you get above 10,000 RPM. I am SURE there are guys on here who could be top 5 in the WORLD list on their site.

Is it time for the GripBoard to TAKE OVER another list? :rock

Just like we did the COC list? I think it is. It will be fun to compete against each other for the top RPM score.

Here's what I propose.

1. We open up a top 20 gripboard list for powerball RPM's in the stats forum.

2. We shoot for the top 60 list on www.powerballs.com: http://www.powerballs.com/scoreboard.php

3. Here are the rules. It must be an official powerball and not some copy. Scores above 10,500 must have a picture. I have achieved 10,895 so here's a picture of the computer read out: http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...&cmd=si&img=764

4. Scores above 13,500 must have a video showing the display of top RPM reset to zero at the start of the run and then the person showing the top RPM achieved display at the end of the run -- continous camera. The video should show it's a genuine powerball too at the start of the run. No witness necessary.

Scores in the 14,000 range as you see on their site are "stud" land.

I really like this idea and it should be really fun to compete against each other. Oh, and since it is required to have only a true powerball from powerball.com it removes the variation aspect so everyone is on a level playing field. Also, after working with one, I don't believe hand size is a factor at all from what I can tell.

What does everyone think? I think the GripBoard could take over the list! :mosher

P.S. By the way, I am not affiliated whatsoever with powerballs.com.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Piche

• OldGuy

• porkbone

• CMunger

Sounds like a great idea Wanna!

I been wanting one of those powerballs

since seeing Big Steves last year.

:rock

Sounds like a good idea, Wanna. I just got a powerball myself and agree with everything you've said. My hands and forearms haven't been this sore for a long time! I've broken 10k, but I don't remember the exact number. I haven't been able to put mine down for about 3 days, so I'm anxious to see what I'll get after some rest.

Are you still spinning it up with the pull cord, or have you advanced to starting it up with your freehand?

For anyone interested in getting one of these: apparently it's a tiny bit harder to score high on the LED powerball. If you can get 11000rpm on a regular powerball, you may only get 10900rpm on the LED version. Not too much of a difference, really.

Do you guys see any need for the wrist loop?

Do you guys see any need for the wrist loop?

Nah, only unless you have a weak grip. :)

Sounds like a good idea, Wanna. I just got a powerball myself and agree with everything you've said. My hands and forearms haven't been this sore for a long time! I've broken 10k, but I don't remember the exact number. I haven't been able to put mine down for about 3 days, so I'm anxious to see what I'll get after some rest.

Are you still spinning it up with the pull cord, or have you advanced to starting it up with your freehand?

For anyone interested in getting one of these: apparently it's a tiny bit harder to score high on the LED powerball. If you can get 11000rpm on a regular powerball, you may only get 10900rpm on the LED version. Not too much of a difference, really.

I have not tried mastering spinning it up without the cord yet.

I have not tried mastering spinning it up without the cord yet.

The easiest way I've found for spinning it up without the cord is to just quickly push it forward along your freehand palm while pulling the freehand back. Very similar to rubbing your palms back and forth, as if you're trying to warm up your hands.

This is just going to get ugly once some more members get some of these. I hope they're prepared to essentially rewrite their lists.

What model are you guys using? It looks like there are a few options. Thanks

I'm using the Neon Blue Pro model. You will want one of the "Pro" models as they come with the digital score display. The neon models have LEDs that get progressively brighter as the RPMs increase--not necessary, but they look cool :)

wanna....how good of a grip training device is this? does it really test your grip? Is it good for the forearms as well?

Also, I looked at the records on their website and was just wondering if you could generate force with 2 hands? I know people do whatever they can to find another way around the rules without anyone knowing.

Thanks.

Btw...i'm ordering mine tomorrow.

Bill I bought one of those last month only mine does not calculate the RPM's. I could not find a store that had one. Thanx for the website info. You are right it is addicting.

Bill

What model should we get to be all the same or are they basically the same anyway

You guys are horrible influences. Now I want one!

You will want one of the "Pro" models as they come with the digital score display.

Yup. The Pro has the digital display of RPM. I got this one: Blue or Orange 250Hz Pro

The other more expensive Pro model comes with light action (Neon Blue Pro)

Think of having to close a #3 gripper and at the same time have a very large force on your wrist and wrist action -- all at once.

These things work your grip big time.

There is some athletic ability needed, but I am seeing that on my best scores I was trying to CRUSH the hell out of the thing to keep getting the RPM's up higher all the while tweaking with wrist action (you can't even see the wrist move at higher RPM's).

I am anxious for some of you to get one. Excited actually. Fun stuff and with the depth of grip strength on this forum, I can't wait for guys to get training with these things to see if we can set a new level beyond 14,000!

Also, I looked at the records on their website and was just wondering if you could generate force with 2 hands?

No way I can see to do that.

haha awesome I'm expecting a powerball in the next couple days actually - great idea

My fingers, wrist and forearm are really FRIED. I can't put the thing down. :)

:whacked Alright, hope your happy. I'm interested now, but what the heck is it? I realize it's a gyroscope, but how do you propel it. All I can get from the website so far is that you flick your wrist? Does it build strength? I can probably go curl 5lbs. who knows how many times and not build strenth. Not that it will deter me, I'm just curious.