Quest For The #4

SHRUG

Tom, you know you're my bud, but you're going to have to find a new guy to talk about. Josh Bigger is not the messiah!

Edited by ClayEdgin

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SHRUG

• Tom of Iowa2

• Clay Edgin

• jad

Tom, you know you're my bud, but you're going to have to find a new guy to talk about.  Josh Bigger is not the messiah!

You are correct sir.

I'll take that under advisement.

if I worked out around...or had some insite into their training or contest performances

Pexter?Sward?SHRUG and few others I'd be talking about them.

Anything normal or average is sort of like reporting on the grass growing to me.

Others talk about their partners or friends all the time.Seriously.Think about it.

In some cases what they are reporting about is interesting...but in some cases its not.

A hypothetical example?If porkbone-your friend or buddy(just tossing out a name)- beat Pfister in the hercules hold? or beat Andersen and Marrunde in the Yoke.You'd be talking about it.If YOU beat someone of that magnitude somebody would be yipping it up and reporting it.We hear about a lot of strength feats and training

If anyone on THIS forum(a grip forum no less)beat the best Pros in the world in the Hercules hold...we'd hear about it and be discussing it for weeks(heck for months)...we actually hear about a lot less,IMO.over and over and over.(and over)

But i get your point.

We may ALL be a little redundant? ;) And I don't care to talk about myself.

edited note

Was meant to be light hearted but couldn't get my Clickable Smiles to work

Moderator note: Tom no problem reporting on Josh, just report

it in your own thread please

Conversation continued via PM so as to not get off topic any further! :)

Most of my 'reports'or posts or observations are about 'unusually strong' athletes,very heavy lifts and just crazy subjects.

Names/subjects that i get a 'kick'out that come to mind: Mark Henry,karelin,Lesnar,Big Tony,Pfister,Samuelson,NFL athletes,Gary Frank,Ed Coan,Breznek,Kaz,Ahola,Svend,Chemikin and some guys here on the forum are popular topics.

UNUSUAL specimens.unusual lifts.

Not that J.B.is in that league.....but crazy stuff ...rules. :rock

I also enjoy History or the dissection of history.Odd ball current events...

And quiet walks under the moon light

Point taken.

SHRUG,

Great news man - you'll mash it!

Having seen SHRUG in action - he will accomplish his goal.

We need to train sometime.

Take care and train well

Brett

My next training day is tomorrow guys, in case you are wondering how I am gonna train for the #4 this is what I am gonna do.

I am gonna train Monday, Wednesday, Saturday.

The grippers I am gonna use are the following.

I will do overcrushes with all of my hard #3's and my filed #3.

Then I will do severe negatives with a old filed BBSE and my hardest #4 which I am gonna file today.

I will do severe negatives on the filed BBSE and the filed #4 until I cant even close my hand.

I am gonna do 6 hot cold soaks per day even on non training days and I am really gonna rest my hands.

I am not even gonna touch any of my unfiled #4's until I have two months of hardcore training in on the filed BBSE and #4.

What do you guys think of this routine, I will update my progress every Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday right after my workout, so you will be hearing from me again tomorrow.

The #4 will fall :rock:rock:rock:rock

shrug, your workout sounds intense bro. You will mash that thing.

I am also willing to bet that shrug will close the world class also. (if he trains for it). With hit size, strength, youth and determination, he will destroy whatever he sets his mind to. I haven't met anyone with his determination and dicipline.

:bow

I am also willing to bet that shrug will close the world class also.

Do you even fathom what you are saying here? :blink

I am also willing to bet that shrug will close the world class also.

Do you even fathom what you are saying here? :blink

Somewhere the are images of the word class next to a normal gripper. This should tell most people that it would be impossible to close.

Your work out sounds good shrug.

I think because you already HAVE a good grip your handstrength WILL go up As your lifting strength goes up.i haven't trained grip and months and my thick bar is better than ever...the #3 feels the same .A little gripper work and some rest and i fully believe you will achieve your goal.

My scientific explanation? its what happens when we are young

Would SHRUG be the youngest to close the number 4....if it happens in this time frame?

A couple of questions for ya

Are you going to do the overcrushes and severe negatives on the same day?

If so which will you do first? You said you're going to do the severe negatives until you can't close your hand so I assume these would be after the overcrushes?

I know you're strong but can you do severe negatives with a filed #4 with any type of intensity after overcrushing hard #3's??

If you do break up the overcrushes and severe negatives which will get priority? For example, which one would get Mon and Wed and which one Saturday?

I will do the overcrushes on the #3's before I do the severe negatives on the filed BBSE and the filed #4. This will all be done in the same day, and it will be done all 3 days. Dont worry, I am up for it. :D

geez...its not like i'm saying he can close it tomorrow or he will be closing a grand galaxy. The world class isn't that far above a #4...for someone like me its alot, but not for someone with the strength of shrug..or anyone who can close the #4.

The world class isn't that far above a #4...

I would have to disagree with you there Ishred.. :unsure

ishred,

Hopefully this will give you a sense of the difference. I can chest crush a #4 for about 50 straight reps. When I try and chest crush the world class I succeed about half the time on a single. Until prove otherwise, I don't think anyone will shut this with one hand.

Most world class grippers would be like a 5.2 gripper compared to most #4 grippers.

:dry I was never aware that a COC #5 even exsisted. That being the case how can a gripper be described as 5.2? Enquiring minds want to know. :erm

Just finished today's workout, this is how it went.

Warmed up with the following:

#T - 1X10

#1 - 1X1

Filed #2 - 1X1

Work sets:

Filed #3 - 1X1 overcrush

Hard #3 - 1X1 - overcrush

Hardest #3 - 1X1 overcrush

I split up my severe negatives between my filed BBSE and my new insane Elite which is just below the filed BBSE, it is only slightly easier.

BBSE - 1X1 severe negative

Hard BBE - 1X1 severe negative

It is my goal to increase both the difficulty of gripper I use for my severe negatives and the reps that I perform every workout. I am going to add at least 2 reps on saturday, my hand is still not used to volume. I will also be able to perform the majority of my severe negatives with my filed BBSE on saturday, however my new BBE is only slightly easier and the BBSE is filed, that is kind of scary. It is a very tough BBE. Let me know how you guys think today's workout went. :rock:rock:rock:rock

It will be really cool to follow your progress! How does your BBSE and BBE compares to your #4 that you aim for?

I have an Elite and Grand Elite. The Elite is harder than any of my 3's and the Grand Elite feels like my #4. These grippers are very new I can add. Maybe they have changed in strength in these new grippers.

Keep up the good work! :rock

My hard BBE is brand new and is insane for a BBE, it feels very close to my easiest #4. My BBSE is definately harder than my easiest #4 and now that it is filed it is a super beast. I can already do my severe negatives on my BBSE pretty good and with some hardcore training I will destroy it.

Oh and I am gonna include some hardcore thumb work with several suped up pony clamps. :rock:rock:rock:rock

Could not resist, did around 10 sets of negatives up to 300lbs today on my new grip machine. I am also working in 20 sets of pony clamp a day. I will do a full workout tomorrow and I will update my progress. :rock:rock:rock:rock

Could not resist, did around 10 sets of negatives up to 300lbs today on my new grip machine. I am also working in 20 sets of pony clamp a day. I will do a full workout tomorrow and I will update my progress. :rock:rock:rock:rock

What kind of grip machine do you use? According to your poundage I assume its

G-rex or parallel type grip machine.

BTW..thanks for sharing your workout, I'm working for #4 too. :rock