Petition To Make York Make Blobs Again

bport

This may have been discussed before, sorry if I missed it, but why hasn't anybody

written York with a list of peoples names who would buy a 100lb dumbell.

If everybody on this board who wants Blobs would sign up maybe we could get

a few hundred orders for a 100 lb dumbell. If everyone paid $75.00 that

would be a $22,500 order. Is York aware of the possible demand? I don't

know if they still have all the equipment to make these though but if it

is just lying around they should fire it up again.

Somebody has probably already asked York this before but I figured

why not throw it out there and see what people think.

I thought Gordon V tried to set something similiar to this up with a foundry but there wasn't much interest.

There might be more interest in simply making one end of the 100 pounder- a literal blob. Surely they could block the handle in the mold and make 2 blobs at once?

He did try to get people interested, but at the time the foundry wanted something like $80 a piece for the blobs and people balked at the price, myself included. Now, $80 for a blob is a GOOD deal!

I'm not sure we could "hundreds" of people to buy blobs. Realistically, I'd say that about 50 dumbbells would get sold to individuals, and a few guys would buy another 10 dumbbells each to stockpile them :)

There might be more interest in simply making one end of the 100 pounder- a literal blob. Surely they could block the handle in the mold and make 2 blobs at once?

Yeah, that would be perfect. No one wants the handles anyway.

It might lower the cost too.

I'm not sure we could "hundreds" of people to buy blobs. Realistically, I'd say that about 50 dumbbells would get sold to individuals, and a few guys would buy another 10 dumbbells each to stockpile them :)

I few hundred is probably too much to hope for.

Did the 80 include shipping? If not what is shipping on a blob? I realize this varies but I'd appreciate an estimate.

I'd like to have one. Sux that they are gone forever. Seems like Ironmind would be all over that one seeing as how they sell the Thomas Inch Dumbell replicas.

I think the biggest factor as mentioned is shipping, I live in Nova Scotia, and to get 2.5lbs of weight delivered from CA. cost around $30, so a BLOB would be crazy, when I start my blob training, I'll just buy some hexes, and cut, but a real BLOB would be great to have

If there is renewed interest in replicas I am willing to support the effort.

As mentioned above, I worked with a foundry on getting blob replicas in the works. The casting is not the expensive part, it is the pattern making. They can't do short run production with a blob, they need to make a gated and mounted two part wood pattern mounted on an aluminum plate in order to form the blob in the cope and drag (sand mold).

I originally figured that if I could find 30 or 40 people willing to step up and say that $80 + S/H was a good price, I would be able to sell through the run of 50. As it is I had about 10 people say they were interested.

Shipping would not be terrible b/c I would be able to send them for a discount through work. All told It would probably be less than $100 for a delivered blob.

Here is the original thread.

Link

Is there more interest now?

I'd be interested. You can never have too many 50's.....

Any thoughts on a 55 or 60?? Or am I just out in left field?

The wife just got a better paying full time job, so I'd be interested in getting a blob replica.

Edited by ClayEdgin

I'd be interested. You can never have too many 50's.....

Any thoughts on a 55 or 60?? Or am I just out in left field?

I'm in for a 50 and a bigger one also.

T!

Of course I'd be interested too in a replica, it wouldn't have

to be from York. Would it have a 100 lb

mark on the top like the York? It would really help to sell them if there

was some sort of unique identification mark on the top to make

them kind of a collectors item themselves. Like "50lb Blob" printed

on the top or something?

Edited by bport

I wonder if someplace like Detroit Barbell co would be interested in doing it.

I wonder if someplace like Detroit Barbell co would be interested in doing it.

Let's email them and ask. The are equipped to make such an item and need to be made aware of the current interest in doing so.

matt@detroitbarbell.com

jay@detroitbarbell.com

im in all the way.....i want at least one fifty and maybe a larger one.....i am buying one from sean dockery, but a cheaper one would be good.

Remember that very few people have lifted a 50 lb Blob without training to do so. If you do get hold of one the chances are you will not budge it one inch from the floor. Why not then buy a PDA Blobette that at 7 lbs empty is not expensive to ship, and can be loaded to well over 50 lbs?

Yeah that is an alternative. Although a real blob would be more cool.

And as far as the training goes, just try to lift it of a scale, and measure how much you manage to deload the scale. Simple.

the blobette PDA has is a great idea, but first have to see if they will ship to your country, as i know they don't ship to certain places, Canada being one of them.

Edited by vince