Short Term Goals Journal

Clay Edgin

Clay,

Go easy on some rotations for a couple of days and do some soaks - your hands will recover and come back stronger.

Good to hear the Scottish Games training is going well

Brett

Thanks guys. Over the course of the afternoon I was getting motivated to try and hammer my fingertips and thumbs (not literally of course) and I came home and hoisted the 50lb hex head to lockout on my first try. Subsequent attempts got the head off the ground but not very far. Inch bell went up several times but not to lockout. Soon!

I played golf on the high school team for 3 years and mess around with it from time to time but especially now that the sun sets later and I can play after work once in a while. My drives aren't that tremendous - usually around 220-250. If I really lay into one, I can get it close to 300, but swinging that fast really increases the chance of the ball slicing two fairways over :laugh My best tee shot in memory was reaching the green on a 340 yard par 4 - downhill with some tailwind and one HECK of a fast swing. I ended up 3-putting the hole though!

It should be noted that the course I played today was a local par 3 course. I usually shoot around 90 on a full length course.

Clay, I just now saw your post! I played golf in high school as well. I was a decent golfer when I was about fifteen years old. I could never hit a long drive, but I had a three wood that I could consistently hit around 250 yards. My golfing claim to fame is that I knocked one in from about 115 yards. Sounds impressive, but I did that to save par! I haven't played in many years though.

Clay, a bad workout is good for you every once and a while. It brings you back down to reality and tells you to get your butt is gear. No SLacking!!

Having a bad workout just means that it's easy for me to improve in the next one.

I just got 15 G8 bolts from Shrug today, and I ordered 50 reds from Ironmind, so I should be busy for a while. I told myself that I would try to only work on the fingertip strength and some levering for a while, but come on, who can resist the temptation to try bending new stuff?

Decided to go for some volume

30 - 60d nails

1 - 5" 60d nail (tough!)

My wife hopped on the computer for an hour tonight so I decided to continue the fun. My hands weren't dead tired so why not?

34 more 60d nails (64 total for the day)

I wanted to do 20 more so I could say that I bent 50 in one evening, but when I finished those I realized that I only had 14 left until I had completely bent 5lbs of 60d nails, so what the heck. Those last 14 were a killer though.

Finally, a workout I am satisfied with.

Son of a gun! Thats a lot of nails, my friend!

(you probably got the easy 60ds.....hehe) :laugh

no, just kidden. You are a GREAT bender!

God Bless :)

MEAT

I'm no superman - they ARE easy!

IT IS DONE!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Strongmitts, Eric Milfeld, Shrug, Big Steve, Terminator, and everyone who has helped me with my bending. Thank you Thaibox for inspiring me to reach the next level in our road to the red. I'm afraid I've won!

After playing around with technique a bit, I found that a thicker roll helps me more since it minimizes the pain in the palm of my hand. So I put a piece of the ballistic nylon on the cordura, wrapped it up, and went for it. This allowed me to use more of the "push" style and the results speak for themself:

3 - 50d nails

1 - 60d nail

1 - G5 6" long

2 - YES TWO!!! - Ironmind Reds unbraced

1 - 267k challenge bar (melted like butter)

1 - Grade 8 6" long - almost as fast as the 267k bar

I'm so f-ing stoked. Been through some ups and downs with this stupid nail and I'm glad to have finally conquered it. The first one went down in about 30 seconds and the second one took maybe a minute and a half. My order of 50 red nails should be here tomorrow and I am really looking forward to doing some real fun stuff with them.

Nice work Clay, youve been working hard and its payed off man!! :rock

Thanks Sean! I came back after posting this and did:

4-60d nails

1-G5 6" long

2-5.5" G5 bolts

and a few other smaller bends

awesome clay,you are an example for us all......keep killing those reds, and lets see your name on the list before the end of the summer!

Congratulations, you've reached the pinnacle of crush and now bending. You da man :bow

You big bastard. Its true... you are the man.

Congrats bro.

Clay...the first man to bend 5lbs of reds in one sitting. :D

:bow

7-9-04

2-50d galvy nails

1-G2

1-G5

2-G8

1-5/16" x 6" long (felt like a 267k challenge bar and was the same size)

1-red

The red is from my new batch of "harder" reds. It took me a little longer to get this one, but it was still under a minute. Tough nail all the way through.

2-50d galvy nails

1-60d nail

1-G5 bolt

1-red

Now that you've taken down the RED what is the next goal you're gunning for?

Probably something pinch related. 6-10's would be nice, as would 2-45's in each hand. I am still fighting to get that Inch to lockout without tilt too. This weekend I am going to be acquiring another 50, a 55, and a 60lb hex head so I imagine I'll be playing with those too.

Did a show today with my dad. It was us versus the Salinas Rotary club - on the rolling thunder. One of the Rotarians posts here and has been doing grip for a few years and held his own quite nicely. Whichever team lifted the most weight in 3 attempts wins and only the highest lift of each lifter counted towards the total. We won by 30 pounds I think. I did a frying pan, couple decks of cards, and some nails afterwards for everyone and it seemed like it was a hit. I really enjoyed myself. Came home tonight and did a little more light bending to hone the technique and get ready for this weekend.

6-TT's

2-50d

4-60d

1-G5

1-red

I wasn't planning on doing the red, but I have to get used to bending this tough monsters. I want to start cutting some meat off these bad boys.