Clay Edgin

Rest until the AOBS dinner? Check

Trash my hands all day long in New Jersey? Check

Reset goals and turn up the intensity? Check

New goal is to accomplish 5 feats in one month:

-6-10's pinch

-Inch lift with no tilt to lockout

-50lb blob lift to lockout

-#4 close with an honest 1" set (I've been guilty of deep sets)

-red nail bend unbraced

The one that will take the most work is the red nail bend, and I've got some idea on how to go about training for all of them. I want to do these things at the next Southern California Gripboard gathering July 16-18. I've got 5 weeks. For now, I rest.

To reuse a post of your's, and to quote one of my favorite poets......

Git'er Done!!!

-#4 close with an honest 1" set (I've been guilty of deep sets)

You are not alone. I still see people post video clips showing sets somewhat deeper than parallell (and blocking the set with the other hand). Remember that a parallell set is the absolut maximum depth allowed for MM certification and the European Championship. Setting it at parallell is pushing it as far as the rules are concerned.

1" set is the old IM rules and is deeper than parallel. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

No, a parallel set is deeper than 1''.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Has anyone ever done all those in one month? or at all?

Huh...Parallel is deeper than 1 inch? I'm talking about setting the gripper where there is 1 inch between the handles are you talking about setting it only 1 inch(there is 2 inches between the handles?)

Has anyone ever done all those in one month? or at all?

I don't think so...thus its appeal! :)

Guys, the solution to the gripper set thing is easy. Take a gripper, set it to parallel, and measure. Or set it to 1" and see if the handles are parallel. But different grippers will have a different definition of what "parallel" are based on the spring's diameter and its thickness. I'm not worried about parallel - I'm after 1"

Huh...Parallel is deeper than 1 inch? I'm talking about setting the gripper where there is 1 inch between the handles are you talking about setting it only 1 inch(there is 2 inches between the handles?)

No I am not. A parallel set is roughly 20 mm (even less on weaker grippers) and thus deeper than one inch (25.4mm).

When I paralled the handles of several #3s locked down

in a vise, I went by this configuration:

When the space between the top of the handles equaled the

space between the bottom of the handles and were parallel,

the measurement of the 2 spacings(Top @ Bottom) of the handles was 3/4 inch,

So the handles of my 3s can be set to 3/4" and will be parallel.

At 1 inch set you will see the handles are not alligned parallel

Guys, the solution to the gripper set thing is easy. Take a gripper, set it to parallel, and measure. Or set it to 1" and see if the handles are parallel. But different grippers will have a different definition of what "parallel" are based on the spring's diameter and its thickness. I'm not worried about parallel - I'm after 1"

Good point Clay.

If parallel is a deeper set than 1 inch, what was everyone so upset about then when the MM rules switched to parallel instead of 1 inch because we're actually allowing a deeper set and many of the posts I remember brought up the handsize issue.

Did a half dozen 60d's and a G5 tonight to see how I felt from the weekend's activities. I am still too spent from Saturday to be productive and risk injury if I continue to bend. The nails are getting really easy now, especially overhand.

Also worked on some Inch lifts without tilt. The hex blob didn't want to cooperate today

Clay when you succeed with your goals will you be the first to close a #4 and bend the red or did Dave M already take the honor? BTW congrats on that huge dyno pull at AOBS

Dave Morton has done that. Nathan Holle may have already bent a red too, but I don't think anyone besides the boys in Wales can confirm that. I wouldn't be surprised if Tommy Heslep is bending reds now too, since he posted that pic of a 30 degree bend in a 270k bar on his first try months ago. I'm trying to be like these guys!

Clay i won't be satisified until you reach all of these goals:

#4 close

u'd Red

Inch Lockout

Blob Lockout

400 pound farmers walk

This would put you in a very elite category.

I think you will do all of them before too long. I have faith in you.

Thanks Dane. I think those are all attainable by the end of the year if I train smart.

Did a little bending last night, but everything felt really hard.

2-60d

1-G5 6" long

1-prekinked G8 6" long (woohoo!)

0-IM red

Still trying to get my left hand to heal up properly, and the overhand style is about all I can use which is a shame because I started the red nail underhand and it gave way, but I pulled back before I could really crunch it because I was afraid of f-ing up my hand again. That G8 was hard the entire way through and I almost quit on it. Glad to finally get it though, even if it was prekinked by a prior effort.

In other news, I went out yesterday afternoon and played 9 holes at the local par 32 course. Shot 6 over par because the sore left hand made me swing slower and as a result more of my shots went straighter.

Clay,

Congrats on the G8 - They are loads of fun!

And very true about the golf swing - often "injuries" of different types actually improve the game.

Brett

Thanks Brett. Did a few 60d's today and then went to the golf course. Shot 1 over par on 9 holes!

Clay, I would've never suspected you were a golfer. I bet you can really wack a golf ball! Obviously to shoot one over you are a pretty well rounded golfer, but how far can you hit your driver?

I played golf on the high school team for 3 years and mess around with it from time to time but especially now that the sun sets later and I can play after work once in a while. My drives aren't that tremendous - usually around 220-250. If I really lay into one, I can get it close to 300, but swinging that fast really increases the chance of the ball slicing two fairways over :laugh My best tee shot in memory was reaching the green on a 340 yard par 4 - downhill with some tailwind and one HECK of a fast swing. I ended up 3-putting the hole though!

It should be noted that the course I played today was a local par 3 course. I usually shoot around 90 on a full length course.

Edited by ClayEdgin

6/22/04

My hands are still shaking and I feel sick.

8 - Inch bell attempts with no tilt. Best was around 6" high

2 - 50lb hex head attempts - got it to hover again

1 - blue nail

3 - 60d nails

1 - stainless 60d nail

2 - Grade 5 bolts at 6" long

1 - Grade 5 bolt @ 5.5" long and WAY off center (see gallery)

All bends done overhand. That 5.5" bolt was incredibly hard for me. I had it locked in good in the overhand position and it took a solid minute of balls to the wall intensity to get it to kink, and the rest went down much easier. When I unwrapped it, I noticed that it was way off center - nearly 1/2".

6/24/04

Been rotating those 2" balls all day and my hands felt good, although I probably went overboard rotating them all day, but it was fun.

Several Inch tries

Several 50lb hex head tries

3-6"x1/4" CRS (blue clone)

23-60d galvanized nails

Oy, my hands are tore up.

I haven't a doubt in my mind that all these goals will be met. Well, I think one very quiet member of the board may beat you to the last one...but other than that....you got it spanked bud. :rock

That one quiet member hasn't posted in his training log in a while!

What a f-ing joke of a workout tonight. Everything has taken a step backwards and I feel scattered. I'm learning that when my scottish games throws improve, my grip work gets worse, and vice versa.

Edited by ClayEdgin