Quest To Scale The Monster Pyramid

EricMilfeld

I've never been one to meticulously record my workouts, but what the heck. Atleast when I'm no-set closing the Mash Monster #5 with two fingers I'll be able to refer all questions about my training techniques to this here log.

I'll be focusing on grippers and pinching to meet my goal of developing my crush to its fullest potential. First workout results to be posted later today.

Look forward to reading it Eric! Will you keep bending as well or are you focusing solely on grippers now?

Great to see you finally start a training log Brother.

:rock

Where was this when you went from Timber Ties to the red in what 3 months??? You must have some secret ;) At least we'll know how you went from the #3 to the MMxx in 3 months, this time :) Looking forward to reading your log.

Thanks for the interest guys!

David, my prime focus will be crushing. I need to lay off bending for atleast two weeks, as I've developed one very sore and inflamed right forefinger from the pressure being applied from starting my double overhand bends with slightly open fingers. When I do resume bending, I may have to return to getting the initial kink via reverse grip. But in any event bending's gonna be taking a back seat for a while.

Well, here's my first workout recording: Note that my #3 is the one and only I own, and is by my best estimate average in strength. I really need to get an Elite! Also, my left pinky is slightly injured from squeezing the gripper's edge, and so I'll be hitting this hand with thick dumbbell deads for a while. So, unless noted, all grippers are done right handed. Pinching will be performed two handed, using a 2 1/4" thick wooden block.

3-5 second overcrushes: #3- 8X1 (unless noted, all grippers are set to slightly wider than parallel)

no-set, full range: #1- 1X20

3/4 range: #2- 1X5

Still too sore for pinching. Will probably pinch once a week, with grippers being performed twice weekly.

5-15-04

#3X1 (missed attempt at second rep)

#3X2X2

#3X3 (this was a big confidence booster, as my all-time best is four reps, performed prior to my bending addiction)

no-set #2X1 (missed attempt at second rep)

5 second overcrush #3X2X1

3/4 full range of motion #2X10

Eric,

Excellent log so far, I like how you notation on the various kinds of closes you are doing. MM5 with 2 fingers indeed!!!

Jon@han

Thanks, Jonathan. I'm basically just going by feel each and every workout. Nothing drawn up in advance.

5-19-04

Grippers

#3X1

#3X1 (5 second overcrush)

failed attempt at a no-set #2 close

#3X2

#3X1 (7 second overcrush)

failed again at that #2 no-set

#2X6 (3/4 full range motion)

Pinching

185X1X3 (wooden pinch block, held to failure {about 5 seconds})

Finished up with some bending of some partially bent stock, to save my right forefinger.

5-22-04

#3X2X2

#2X2 (1/4 full-set)

#3X2

#2X5 (1/4 full-set)

#3X1 (7 second overcrush)

#3X2 (5 second overcrush on 2nd rep)

#2X5 (1/4 full-set)

#3X1 (3/4 full-set)

#2X6 (1/4 full-set)

I've decided to replace complete no-sets with what I'm calling a 1/4 no-set. I squeeze the gripper with the other hand about 1/4 to 1/2", or about 1/4 of the way to my normal set. I feel the complete no-sets were not as beneficial as these 1/4 sets, due to the fact that I could barely get my fingers up on the gripper. It seems my ability to endure higher volume is improving. I'm feeling pretty good about these wordouts in general. When I get some extra money I will order a MM1, and possibly a MM2 replica.

I finished up with some bending, and almost lost a knuckle when the bar ripped through what I discovered to be very brittle leather.

I also like the 1/4" no sets as well. Your still working your hand through a big range of motion and your complete no set ability will rise as well. I have done alot of those as well. Keep it up!

Austin

That was my thinking as well, Austin. I read John Wood's article about this very subject in the latest issue of Iron Grip, and decided to start training no-sets. I think they're very beneficial, as I'm requiring less of a set to shut my #3. Thanks for the support, Austin!

5-26-4

#3X1X3

#3X2 (barely)

#2X8 (1/4 full set)

#3X1 (failed second rep)

pinched 185X1 for three seconds

failed next attempt

pinched 170X1 for five seconds

Grippers and pinch felt a little weak today. Overtraining? Intense bending catching up with me again? Or just a bad day? Don't know. Time will tell.

5-29-4

#3X1 (3 second overcrush)

Grandmaster X1

#3X2

GrandmasterX1 (failed second rep)

GrandmasterX1 (5 second overcrush)

Didn't push it too hard today, as I was saving something for the second half of my workout, which of course consisted of bending.

6-2-04

#3X2X2

#3X1 (partial set)

#2X3 (1/4 full set)

Finished with some dynamic thumb work with my homemade TTK.

Eric, good job with the log. Why arn't you including what u do in your bending sessions? It would be great to see your routine for bending.

Eric, good job with the log. Why arn't you including what u do in your bending sessions? It would be great to see your routine for bending.

Okay, I guess I'll start reporting on my bending too. Thanks for the interest. :D

Yeah Eric, i'd love to read what your bending workout is like too!

6-5-4

BENDING

warmed up with a bend of a 1/4" carriage bolt (provided by Gazza)

bent a 80 D nail with the tip and head cut-off (provided by Austin Slater)

bent a 5/16 X 6" piece of Crown Bolt's HRS

bent a 5/16 X 5 3/4" piece of same

failed to kink a 5/16 X 7" grd 5 bolt

took a couple attempts to get a kink with some drill rod at 6 1/2"

GRIPPERS

#3X2

#2X5 (1/4 full-set)

#3X2

#2 X6 (1/4 full-set)

#3X2 (first rep was held for a 5 second overcrush)

I'm very pleased. It seems I'm finally able to train both grippers and bending without any negative cross-over effect. Perhaps this is due to the fact that I no longer use a reverse grip technique with the bending. Or maybe I've just adapted.

6-9-04

#3x1

#3x1 (missed second rep)

#2x2 (1/4 no-set)

#3x1 (5 second overcrush)

#3x2

#2x7 (1/4 no-set)

Finished with some dymamic thumb work.

I couldn't help but try a little bending last night. The poor results of that workout lead me to believe that I really do require a full week's worth of rest between bending sessions. I think the heavier stuff I'm bending these days is putting such heavy stress on my bones, tendons, ligaments,etc. that going heavy twice a week is no longer an option. I may also be getting to the point where some lighter volume is needed, to prevent overtraining and staleness.

I'm no bending madman like you, but I think that bending is the most stressful of all grip activities on the joints, bones, and connective tissue. I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in this experience/opinion.

i feel that bending is the most stressfull thing i've ever done- i'm learning to take more time b/t bending workouts. what king of leveraging do you do Eric?

what king of leveraging do you do Eric?

I do no levering. Other than benchpressing, grippers, and some thumb work, I do no assistance work for bending. And I suspect I could drop these three movements and still progress with the bending. I'm been this way with all of my lifting routines. For example, to improve my squats I would do no more than squat. I don't advise this for everyone, but it's always worked for me.

I agree with you Eric. I think if you have the money to buy lots of steel then you really don't have to do a lot of levering to get good at bending. But since i am really cheap i like to bend mabey once every 10 days and do some levering inbetween.

My squat has gone up 60 pounds in the last 7 months or so. My squat workouts consisted of squats and one assistance exercise, either yoke walk or sled drag.

6-11-4

Bending

Crown Bolt 5/16x5 3/4" HRS (comparable to a 6" Red nail)

80D cut down to 6 1/2" (comparable to a 6 1/2" Red nail)

two 60D's cut to 5 1/2" (comparable to a 5 1/2" grd 5 bolt)

That HRS whooped my butt. But after a ten minute battle it was mine. By the way, I consider long, hard fought battles with a single nail to be high volume training, in and of itself. The two cut 60's were just for fun. The first two bends would have sufficed for a full, productive workout. Itensity!!!

Grippers

#3x3 (barely missed attempt at fourth rep)

#3x1 (1/2 full-set)

#3x2 (5 second overcrush on second rep)

#2x3 (1/4 full-set)

#3x1 (1/2 full-set)

#3x4 (not quite full range reps)

#2x5 (1/4 full-set)

That felt good! On the heels of a mediocre gripper workout comes my best to date. Where's that Mash Monster?!!! :laugh

Edited by EricMilfeld