British Results

David Horne

Ribbons and trophys don't mean anything.

Curiosly I have gone past different stages with that. As a kid I loved trophys.

In my early twenties I didn't care too much.

In my thirties I enjoy the trophys I got and if get any new.

They remain, "hold" memories well and people comment about them when they see them.

Trophys rocks!

(well really large cash prices are nice too, but that means large costs for someone as well to get the funds so it isn't rarely that relavant, trophys on the other hand are very cheap)

So all in all, I like the notion of small trophys for each event in the grip competitions!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• Mikael Siversson

• David Horne

• Bill Piche

I have discussed this with David and my own oppinion is that we should have championships within the allround championship at the Europeans (European champion in v-bar etc.). I am voting for medals to the top three in each event (18 medals in all; 15 for the individual five events and three for the overall title). Needless to say, the allround title would still rule.

Pinching on a pinch grip machine where the audience can see what is lifted and when a success happens does make it a good spectator event.

A pinch machine is even more obscure. If anything, bending nails is more along the line of what people can relate to.

I have discussed this with David and my own oppinion is that we should have championships within the allround championship at the Europeans (European champion in v-bar etc.). I am voting for medals to the top three in each event (18 medals in all; 15 for the individual five events and three for the overall title). Needless to say, the allround title would still rule.

Nice.

Feats With Hands 2003 did recognize and award prizes to each individual event winner. I'd like to keep with that trend for this year's contest. But actually having separate contests are what we informally do all the time anyway (e.g. going to the Petersons' home for a bending party, etc.). If I were to announce a pinch grip contest who is going to come but the people who are in close proximity to me and would have come anyway? I don't picture the Vigeants' or Jedd's flying to Minnesota for a gripper contest. Maybe I'm wrong on that though...

Regarding a grip organization, I don't see how people will stop having their own opinions just because they're a part of a 'unifying organization'. That said, there may be a tendency for a bit more compromise though.

The sport of grip strength doesn't have enough practice (at least in attracting sponsors and competitors that aren't already in close proximity to the contest site) to be able to develop a theory of how the sport should be governed. So we'll keep trying various things and hope that one day something we do stands out and captures an attention that can last.

BC.

Nice.

Good pics steve

woul be nice to have poundages with the shots

well done with your 3rd place .... you looked good with the grippers :)

18 medals seems a bit of an overkill

fine, have a european lift champ (say jim W in the vbar) but not a 2nd and 3rd spot!

18 medals seems a bit of an overkill

fine, have a european lift champ (say jim W in the vbar) but not a 2nd and 3rd spot!

No silver and bronze medals for second and third in the individual events? Why not? Where is the benefit in only basically recognising the overall winner? Is it the slightly lower entrance fee? Why not letting the competitors decide? If a majority of them wants it then that's the way it should be (with me applying massive pressure on the organzier :tongue ). Your oppinion is of course highly appreciated but respectfully ignored (as you are neither competing nor organising the event).

As always Mikael, your rebukes are the most polite i have known ;)

its hard to get anoyed 'cos, in many ways you are correct.

your right in saying, im not a competitor, organiser or even a half decent novice. but i am passionate about the sport and in my humble, 'general public' opinion, it seems overkill to have so many medles

from the stand point of a spectator, i want to see who is the best lifter in europe, who is the best lifter of the vbar, 1HL, grippers, pinch and nails

the final decision should rest with the qualified competitors and discusion with the organiser

and not extra pressue from an ex pat :tongue (the last bit is a joke btw)

hows life down under?