• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• Mikael Siversson

• David Horne

• Bill Piche

David, Steve, et al, Great job! I have some questions--how did you rate the grippers to two decimal points-- for example you listed a right hand close with a 3.29? In the Unbraced Bending event how did you arrive at a lift of 267.5? You know me--I'm a record keeper so I'm just trying to understand how these scores were derived. Maybe I missed some previous explanation? :D

Dale

Grippers - I have no idea. Something the Swedish thought up I think. Example I missed a 2.99 gripper with my left which I will presume is almost a CoC 3 and which added to my right hand will have meant a 6.53 or better score - a sure winner. However, I completely b@llsed it up.

The bars is easy. Both David and Jim certified on 267.5 kilo rated c/bars 2-3 weeks ago and did them again at the IG 2004. I did a new PB with a 235 kilo rated bar. They attempted 290 kilo bars and I did a 240 kilo attempt. Poor Dean Bolt tried and tried for five minutes and was knackered at a another bar.

Congratulations to all who competed.

David are you still organising the Comps even if you don't compete?

No. He has asked me and another lad to get together and organize it next year. We wanna hold it on a beach (crowds would be huge!!).

Let's hope you will stick to the five events that are now in place. Otherwise we are back to square one, with the European Championship on its way to a very early retirement. It is with mixed feelings I witness David's abrupt departure from organising the Brittish Iron Grip Championship (and future Europeans I would guess), just months after sorting out rules, events, equippment etc.

Let's hope you will stick to the five events that are now in place. Otherwise we are back to square one, with the European Championship on its way to a very early retirement. It is with mixed feelings I witness David's abrupt departure from organising the Brittish Iron Grip Championship (and future Europeans I would guess), just months after sorting out rules, events, equippment etc.

You wouldn't be and if I make any changes they will be ones we can all work with (and would discuss). Have a look at the 15 or so DH has used previously. If I can buy and train on equipment for myself then an organizer can certainly arrange the equipment - ie: Thick bar is easy and cheap.

Also there is nothing to say that the European has to change it's lifts at all.

Well the whole point of selecting five standard event was that we could compare directly results across Europe (and Australia). Why would you include thick bar, as an organiser, when everyone knows that this is your pet lift and that you have fairly large hands? I argued for the elimination of thickbars and their replacement with the one hand lift and I did so because I honestly believe that it is a better measure of hand strength, independant of hand size. I do much better at thick bars than at the one hand lift (which is by far my worst event of the five, my PR total is 387.5) but tried to put my own interests aside. Sounds like bullshit but it is actually true.

I would just like to say what a great time i had at the comp,and am very much looking forward to next year's comp.

What a great bunch of lads(and one very nice lady,who will kick arse at the uk strongest woman) they all are.

First thing 2moro i'm of to B&Q,to see what i can buy!!

Stay strong,my new friends!

I'll be back,bigger and better.(240 is going down)

Well done to all who took part, some great lifts and some interesting prospects for the future. Like Scott, I would be interested to hear the amature comp results.

Welsh Dragon, if your local B&Q is anything like my local one I would be looking for three things, 6"x6mm nails - you will find these easy but they are good for volume/warm-ups and ideal for showing off (I usually keep a couple in my coat pocket). Armed with a kilo or two of these (shocking prices, especially when I hear what you guys in the US of A are paying), make your way to the metal rods, there will be 2 kinds of 8mm stock, one with a black coating and one with a shinny finish. Get a good few metres of the black stuff and a metre or two of the shinny stuff. The black stuff I have is tougher than the 8mm stock that the challenge bars I have around the 200-225 range are made of, the shinny stuff is insane!

Best of luck, I'm sure that your bending will progress quickly, as will the rest of your grip lifts.

Well the whole point of selecting five standard event was that we could compare directly results across Europe (and Australia). Why would you include thick bar, as an organiser, when everyone knows that this is your pet lift and that you have fairly large hands? I argued for the elimination of thickbars and their replacement with the one hand lift and I did so because I honestly believe that it is a better measure of hand strength, independant of hand size. I do much better at thick bars than at the one hand lift (which is by far my worst event of the five, my PR total is 387.5) but tried to put my own interests aside. Sounds like bullshit but it is actually true.

As per my post I am sure we could work together. I haven't said I'm making changes yet anyway. I also haven't said I'd compete if I organizied. I will ask why only 5 lifts were chosen and repeat my comment that there are NO reasons as to why other lifts can or can not be included. If sufficent notice is given to all competitors verybone can both get hold off and train on any new equipment required.

One idea which I talked to DH about was if, and I mean if, we are able to get the competition onto th beach we have the potential audience of 1000's!! Using any lift where a tiny steel bar (for example) is used is not something that the crowd can see and or appreciate. Therefore we'd want lifts that are more visual - big ass weights. Better 1000's than a handful of enthusiasts.

Use my posts as constructive comment and not as a knock back to all your and DH's work.

I would just like to say what a great time i had at the comp,and am very much looking forward to next year's comp.

What a great bunch of lads(and one very nice lady,who will kick arse at the uk strongest woman) they all are.

First thing 2moro i'm of to B&Q,to see what i can buy!!

Stay strong,my new friends!

I'll be back,bigger and better.(240 is going down)

As I told u at the comp, with a little experience u will be showing us all how to do it next year!

Thanks for all the responses. Yes they were good contests.

Scott,

We will put the amateur results up later, as we're only just recovering from the night out. But the top 3 were.

1. Elizabeth Talbot

2. Andrew Christie

3. Dave Johnson

Mikael,

I feel happy that we have done so much for the sport and hope that I have left it in good shape. Of course I still have one more contest to do, the Europeans in August.

Dean,

Nice to see you on the board, and of course a pleasure to meet up with you. As I said, please contact me if you need any advice. Next years contest should be between Dean and Jim, or maybe someone else who comes through.

By the way, the Punk night was great, my ears are still ringing! :mosher

I managed 2 tracks by the Undertones pogoing and moshing then my bad knee gave way! I couldn't get out till another 3 tracks had gone by, in which time I hopped about to Jimmy Jimmy and Teenage Kicks.

Buzzcocks were great, except for Pete Shelley's mike going off half way through.

Great fun though.

David

As per my post I am sure we could work together. I haven't said I'm making changes yet anyway. I also haven't said I'd compete if I organizied. I will ask why only 5 lifts were chosen and repeat my comment that there are NO reasons as to why other lifts can or can not be included. If sufficent notice is given to all competitors verybone can both get hold off and train on any new equipment required.

One idea which I talked to DH about was if, and I mean if, we are able to get the competition onto th beach we have the potential audience of 1000's!! Using any lift where a tiny steel bar (for example) is used is not something that the crowd can see and or appreciate. Therefore we'd want lifts that are more visual - big ass weights. Better 1000's than a handful of enthusiasts.

It is a knock back, nothing more nothing less. Five events were chosen as they cover most apects of fore arm strength. Any more and the competitions would go on for ever. Remember, the Swedish comps. and the European allows five attempts for each event (and yes five attempts allow you to hit your max which fewer attempts usually do not). Taking the competition onto the beach may not be appreciated by everyone, as it turns it into a circus to some extent. I can see where this is going. Fortunately, I think the Swedes will stick to the events laid out. As I said, the European championship is doomed I believe or perhaps it will still attract some of the Britts, too shy to show off on a beach. Your thin bar argument is just too silly to comment.

Any chance this discussion could be taken off-list so yet another thread doesn't get stunk up?

Edited by ClayEdgin

I want to stick to 5 total events per competition (just rotate them around from a longer list), some people might like to see the sport grow, rather than stay in back gardens.

I'll comment on the steel bars and the five attempts rule (which I had made no comment on in my previous posts so I don't know why it was brought up).

If you have a group of athletes, such as here on the board, who understand what is involved in the short steel bar bending then it is highly appreciated what some can do. Get them to gather round and watch. If, on the other hand, you have a large passing crowd of people that have never seen a grip competition before and they see someone like Dean Bolt appararently pushing his hands together and straining for all he's worth with something they cannot see or truly appreciate then perhaps we lose out.

The five attempts may work for some but there are only three at the IG and we lift, on average, more weight than the Swedish comeptitors even allowing for the difference in judging (previously discussed last year). Go back over this years results and compare numbers - only 2 of the Swedes would have been in the top 5.

Regarding the 'circus' comment: are we going to stay in gyms or back gardens for the shy or are we going to be seen in bigger world by many.

Any chance this discussion could be taken off-list so yet another thread doesn't get stunk up?

If it was just as a PM between myself and Mikeal then we would have nothing to say as he has already disagreed. This way others may also agree or disagree - esp those that might actually compete in the events. What would u prefer - garden or beach? Big visual lifts or tiny only appreciated by those in the know lifts?

If you want big visual lifts why don't you just do a strongman show, many grip events do not have big visual lifts.

If you want big visual lifts why don't you just do a strongman show, many grip events do not have big visual lifts? Why don't they and why should we not have such events?

Then both you and Mikael would be missing the point if we only have little non visual efforts. I'd get it and so would you but what about Joe Average?

Look at this list The one hand lift is visual (already included), the vertical bar is visual (already included), bearhug deadlift ditto, 3.5 inch thick handled dumbell lift & walk, plate curl (very easy to standardize), two hand pinch Lift (already included) and table top wrist curl are all visual. Grippers and challenge bars are not. This is not to say that we should not have these in grip competitions at all - I am most definitely not saying that - but that big events (open to the public) might be better served with 'big' lifts.

Is any of the equipment for the above lifts not possible to be standardizied?

I'll ask the question again - do you want grip to remain a back garden sport or not? Check out the possible Hugo Girard effort - I'll bet that wasn't going to be a back yard event and all grip competitions are 'strongman events'.

To me the sport itself must be by far the most important aspect.

Bending and grippers are excellent examples, they are probably the two most addicting types of grip training that also tests different kinds of strength and thus it seems sensible to compete in them.

To place major importance in making a show for spectators seem very strange for me at this stage where the grip sport is just starting to grow quite rapidly, mostly thanks to the non visual events, especially grippers.

The five attempts may work for some but there are only three at the IG and we lift, on average, more weight than the Swedish comeptitors even allowing for the difference in judging (previously discussed last year). Go back over this years results and compare numbers - only 2 of the Swedes would have been in the top 5.

OK, so you mean that the Swedes did worse then the Brits in general because of the many attempts and not because the Brits were stronger and much much more experienced in grip competitions. That was a surprising conclusion.

Here's what's happening. David Horne has asked myself and Andrew Christie if we'd consider putting on the 2005 Iron Grip championships. Because of connections etc I may, may, just be able to get the event from a back garden in Stafford or an otherwise empty gym onto a packed summertime beach.

Again with the possible connections we might be able to get media, magazines and large crowds to attend. If we end up with a large open space surrounded by 100's if not 1000's of people watching then with grippers etc they'll see a man standing in the middle of an arena, with judges etc nearby possibly obscuring the view and not fully understand, as we do, whats happening.

On the other hand if we have someone like Dean, 300+ pounds, or even a lightweight athlete, stride up to a fully loaded 300kilos / 660 pound bar ready to do some table top wrist curls they will KNOW it's a heavy ass weight and that, big or small, he's a strong man with a strong grip.

The foundations of our sport will still be in grippers. I'm not suggesting a re-invention of the wheel. The history of such events, as I am sure Joe Roark will verify, was in beer cellers and on stage at theatres. They did big visual lifts with sacks, barrells etc. Only with smaller groups (20 or so) did the cards get teared, nails bent, coins dented and so on. On the rare occasion that they did such close-up tricks they almost always got someone from the public to show (holding the item aloft) and speaking in a loud voice, to state that yes it was a real coing and now it's been bent etc.

I'm of the opinion that wanting to keep the events small and intimate is, as you say during our time of growth, going to hold us back a little. 'Intimate' events could be saved for the press when a photographer can reproduce pictures like this: http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...&cmd=si&img=453 (one of mine from Saturday) or this <a href='http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...&img=454' target='_blank'>http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...&img=454</a>