Starting Over Again . . .

austinslater

Well Me and my workout partner have decided to switch gears and start bending. We started last wk and today was we did our first blue bends. Here is how the workout went:

4/23/04

T,1,sm,gm,3x1

5 Yellows

5 60d's

3 5.5" timber ties

1 grade 2 6x1/4"

1 blue nail 5 sec. to bend

block weights

I was pumped. I was doing the timbers to add volume and decided to push it somewhat and the grade 2 and blue were extremely easy. I switched to the underhand style because of a hand injury and I was horrible to start but its coming on real fast. ALthough I have short arms I think this style will allow me to use my upper body strength to its full advantage as well. I still cant believe how easy the blue was for both of us. We are almost identical in strength as well so this should be fun. The title says road to the red but were really just trying to see how far we can push each other even if we never do the red. Feel free to offer advice.

Austin,

You and your bending partner should think of it as a race to the Red. I don't think it is as unattainable as people thought it was six months ago. With the increased popularity that bending now has I think a lot more people will reach this level soon.

Very Sorry to hear that you quit gripping and the goal of closing the #4.

But Iam sure that gripping will give you the power to bend the red Nail.

Im still going to train grippers. I would like to do the elite under tettings rules and my crush doesnt seem to be effected by bending awhole lot. I finished the bending workout with a couple of #3 singles. Ill just have to play it by ear. i just got bored with the grippers but sooner or later Ill get after them again. Thanks!

4/24/4

Today played with the sledge and bent a 167.5 kg. challenge bar that Eric was nice enough to send my way. It was easy and I would rate it at a yellow if others are interested. I also have a 200 kg. challenge bar but I think Ill wait till next wk. wrists are extremely sore from the bending session so probably pretty stupid to bend today, oh well! Next wk will be blues for volume and maybe a crack at the 200 bar. just putting my w/o' plans down so I dont forget. :blink

Wk 2

Monday 4/26

warmed up with 3/16ths squarex6, 2-timber ties

40d

1/4"x7"

Blue

7 grade 2's

5 5.5" timber ties

Rear levers with secret weapon 5x10

various movements messin with the sledge

Just a light workout. Friday will be a heavy day. I actually kinked 2 grade 5's as they were misplaced in with the grade 2's. these are tough! Hopefully soon ill hit one maybe in the next month or so. Did some grippers to warm up just stayed light with a couple of 3 singles and some reps with the sm.

Originally wrote 7 grade 5's and it should of been grade 2's! :tongue

Now it makes sense. I read your workout and saw you did 7 grade 5's, and thought wow, that Austin's been hidin' an ace! But congrats on a great workout anyways, buddy! I couldn't even kink a grade 5 the first time I tried.

Edited by EricMilfeld

Thanks for the encouragment guys! I wrote a story awhile back about Dave Andrews who bends 2 tough 60d's at the same time at 62 yrs. old and he gave me some good ideas so I will incorparate them as well. He suggested something like this:

4 wks: day 1 levering day 2 bending

4wks same but add another day of blended bending/levering

He also suggested to take it slow and become real proficient with the 60ds so that they are effortless before making cracks at the red which seems like solid advice as I have a tendency to push to fast. This stuff is pretty standard to what ive heard from Bballad, dave, steve etc. Im also still gonna train no sets in hopes of hitting the elite under tettings rules.

Austin

Glad your still enjoying the bending,it seams to be working as your makeing excellent progress,as well as still being able to maintain your awesome crush.

Excellent work on the Grade 2,s and like Dave says those will soon be Grade 5,s.

Hi Austin

I was thinking on designing a bend machine but when done I put

on paper a rough drawing.

I will send the Bend Machine design as soon as Iam finished.

Bending machines? Talk about taking something simple and making it complicated! :laugh

Austin, keep up the good work bud.

Good work Austin. I like the idea of turning it up a notch everytime I train though. Everytime it feels good so I try harder things, if I didn't do this I would not know that I was more then capable of tackling cut grade 5's.

4/29

crush:

super gripper:

10&12 3 singles with set.

10&12 6 attempts with no set

Supermasterx4 singles

Just a quick one while we were working around the house. I never use a set with the sg but it felt pretty good. I would like to no set the sg though.

Tommorows bending goal:

Yellow, blue, 6" crs, 5.75" blue, 60d attempt

Anything after is just going to be by feel. Should be fine as Im taking it slow although my wrists are sore from mondays bending.

3 singles with the 10,12 huh....Nice, I see it didn't take you long to close that thing even with all the bending. You da man.

Thanks! I usually dont use a set on it and havent tried it that way in a long time. it felt really good yesterday. Today is bending so we will see what happens. Im nowhere near where your at!

Austin

4/30 bending

square 3/16thsx6", 5.5"x1

2-timber ties

yellow, 1/4x7" crs

1/4"x6" crs same as blue

blue

5.75" blue

5.5" blue

5.25" blue

5" blue miss

total 11 bends and 1 miss

Not bad, got first blue last wk and almost got the 5" blue today but I put a hole in my palm fighting it. All in all im pretty happy although I would of loved to get some more volume in and hit a 60d but a 5.25" blue is a pr. Cody hit the same thing I did as well

Finished the workout with some block work.

Congrats on that 5.25 blue that's awesome. You seem to be making progress extremely fast.

Great workout Austin!!!! :rock

What a workout! Made your day, didn't it!

Goal for next saturday is 60d's and blues for volume. Thats if the hand heals up. nothing like a blister in the palm!

I have to lay off the grippers becuase of a hole I opened up in my palm. so the workout was alittle different:

Yorks 35-40 few singles of each

Morton softball pinch 5x1 with 30 lbs.

Sledge work front, rear, overhead 2-3x of each

Pretty easy and quick. Hopefully this hand heals up by sat for crush and bending.