My Olympic Lifting!

Meat Loaf

i have the strength to C&J 300+. i just need to perfect my form. Oh, btw, one of the times i fell (doing a snatch) i hit my ass SO hard on the floor that it STILL hurts, 5 hours later :cry . Form, form, form! It is also hard because i think i must have long forearms cause it's VERY hard to rack the bar on my shoulders in the recovery (of the clean). i usually end up supporting the weight with my shoulders.

Plus i sprained my ankle again yesterday after a LONG LONG LONG hard day of construction and i practically broke down and cried :cry . I don't know what's wrong with me....i guess stress makes me turn inward....eh

:D

MEAT

Dan, take a few days off, get your mind off lifting, and don't stress the small stuff. Stretch your hands and wrists often during the day.

• 1 month later...

Well, last week's oly workout was a little crappy. I know i have the strength to snatch well over 250. I tried 240 like a million times, getting it all the way up, but the bar is too far forward. I had an old time, wise oly lifter show me how shoes make a big difference and how my shitty sneakers were making me lean farther forward than i usually do when i do oly lifting (i usually wear some good, strong hi-tops, but not today for some reason).

Lesson: WEAR SHOES WITH BIG HEEL SUPPORT FOR OLY LIFTING!!! :angry:

I managed a lightning fast 135 one-arm snatch, though. That was fun.

I only did snatches. Next time, i will only do c&j so that i can do then fresh instead of doing them after lots of snatches.

Today, i did squats and managed a 425 squat with feet super wide (Westside Wide!). 425 is no problem for me regular narrower stance, but with a super wide stance, i find that my adductors and hamstrings are really working (a weakness for me), but only if you go as far down as your body will allow (which is a bit below parallel...i can't force myself to go farther just cause...welll....try it and youll understand!). This is a PR in wide squats cause my best last time was 405.

I am within millimeters of a #3 close, bt my wrists are still buggin me, so no more bending for a few weeks, especially not terminator style. I did a hook grip one arm PR deadlift with 255 though. I know i can do more when fresh, so ill have to try it soon! That stuff hurts like hell though. my poor thumb...

My palms are actually still sore from doing 600 pound overhead supports last week...funny, doing lockouts with 640 on te bench would seem to hurt them more, but i think that flat bench press stresses the wrists more and with overhead supports, the weight goes straight down into the palms. :whacked

I also just got hired (thank you Jesus) to be a Trainer at 24 Hour fitness (now i actually have a job when i get married!) up in Pasadena, CA. YAY!!! :yikes:yikes

Good lifting everyone, and don't forget to pray today! :)

MEAT

Well, i don't do oly lifting too often, so im gonna turn this into an all-inclusive training report.

I was at Home Depot and i got a 5/16" by 5" carriage bolt (i think these are galvanized but im not sure). It was tough, but after a few tries, i kicked its ass. Afterwards, i was pretty spent so i bent a 40D (yeah, i know im he-man :laugh ) and then a blue nail.

My right wrist is still achy, but its getting way way better. My deadlift day is coming up this friday night and im gonna try 620. Then after my usual heavy lockouts and a few negatives, im gonna put 2 25s under each foot (instead of a box) (and so that the bar isnt even an inch above my feet in the starting position) and try it out. I figure with stone lifting or other real-life deadlifting, you usually have to pull things from a ground level position, not a position 6 inches above the ground! I also want deadlifting to affect as many body parts as hard as possible and i think the ultra low deadlifting will be a nice additon to my workouts. My last deadlift workout was crappy cause i didnt warm up nearly enough, it was early in the morning, and i should have stretched out more. Im also gonna replace my squats with wide stance squats to spare the same muscles that i need desperately to be totally fresh for 2 hours of deadlifting 2 weeks later.

I did bench press for a couple hours last friday and it kicked ass. I warmed up with 135X20

an unusually hard 225X6

an unusually easy 325X1 (i narrowed my grip some....my triceps really help shoot the weight up with a slightly narrower grip...for ME that is),

and a million lockouts with 495, 585, 605, and for 650, i had a guy help me lock it out, and i held it for a couple seconds before lowering it and saying "holy crap thats a lot of weight".

A million negatives with 405 and then eventually 365, and then 2 singles with 315 (that seemed easy for some reason). I didn't feel spent so i grabbed 225 and tried to rep it out. I got 4 easy ones and then during X5, all my muscles basically collapsed and i barely got it up! I changed grips from really wide to pretty narrow throughout the negatives and singles too.

Working out kicks ass

MEAT

Edited by Meat Loaf

Deadlift day

Warmups seemed easier than normal, and i was going for a totally raw 625 PR. I got it up to my knees slowly, but it stalled and had to be set down. Dammit. I got kinda close though. After that attempt (which seemed to take freaking FOREVER), i was dead and jsut finished with lots of 500-520lb singles. I did a couple lockouts, one with 855 :D yay. My hands have long, horizontal red creased along the palms from griping this crap!

I did some one-arm hook grip deads and managed a good PR of 275 with my left hand. I couldn't get it up with my right, but i did manage to lift it a few inches. For some reason, i am stronger in my left with suporting grip stuff and wrist, but i am a better crusher with my right hand. ??

My thumbs didn't hurt nearly as much as last time i tried one-arm deads...which is good news. I think that i would have gotten the 625 if i had not in prior workouts also included lots of deadlift negatives. I think that they are unneccary and when my dead jumped from 550 to 575 and then to 600 i dont think i did them at all. Lockouts DO help though...both back strength AND grip strength. I also felt some pec strain (good kind) after some back pulling movements, so i an theorizing that the pecs contract too when doing one arm rows.

God Bless, everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Squats today....managed some 1,100 pound 1/4 squats (with no belt or anything else) this morning. Kickass. I filled the bar with like 9 plates on each side and with chains, hung 2 45s and a 35 on each side of the bar. The back of my neck is like hamburger now.

This past week i got a chance to hang out and workout with Josh Bryant, who is 23 and a kickass powerlifter/strongman. The dude throws up 405 on the incline like it was an empty bar. It was nuts! He will probably make it to compete at the next World's Strongest Man, Not only is he huge, he has a big torso and short arms...great for pressing and stuff. Great guy too and a new friend of mine.

I finally did a strict overhead press of 190. i woulda had 200 but i already had sore chest and delts from heavy bending. I just know i can do 200, but we'll see about that next shoulder day. Also managed some cheat curls with 210 lbs. These are great also for forearms as mine are sore as hell 3 days afterwards!

MEAT

Meat, great job on the 275 pound hook grip deadlift! What are you weighing these days?

i weigh around 225-230, bencrush. i tried some hook grip deads 2 days ago and they were crappy. when i did the 275, i had actually let my thumbnails grow longer and i feel that this helped. with this workout, i actually had just cut them and they just slipped around and i didnt have the same secure feeling on the bar that i usually have.

MEAT

Edited by Meat Loaf

• 3 weeks later...

A couple days ago i tried an overhead pressing workout. See, im working on a strict 200 overhead press, and i am so close. the most ive done is 190, but i KNOW i have 200 in me somewhere. I just have to find where... :blink

The workout was on friday but on wednesday. i manhandled 155 for 3 lightning fast reps and thought..."come friday, i will RAM up 200" but NO!!! 200 felt like a house! I did a warmup of 3 reps with 135 and usually it feels really light, but it felt unusually heavy...a bad sign. The 200 didnt go, so i was so mad that i just went home. A couple hours later, i was itching to workout so i just went back and did a couple hours of one arm overhead work.

I worked up to a new PR: 185 lbs one-arm clean. I couldn't press it but it felt pretty good to al least clean it! :) I got it with either hand, too. I tried 205, but my grip was going and well hell...it was 205 lbs... :erm I just did tons of one-arm barbell cleans and snatches, lowering the bar down slowly back to my chest every time in order to get the most out of the heavy negatives, and i was sore all over my upper body. Great workout. By the way, the heavy one arm cleans were done with a hook grip.

I finished with some rolling thunder and lots of screaming gripper negatives.

Kick ass

dont know why i felt so weak on my pressing though...it was really weird. I was kinda tired from work though.

MEAT

Wednesday is SQUAT DAY. Wish me luck.

Oh by the way, tomorrow (tuesday) I am gonna see freaking Van Halen in San Diego. YES

Edited by Meat Loaf

Meat - what kind of lifting program do you use? I thought I remember you saying you lifted just once a week (performing every lift 1-2 times a month) but in your post you say you worked press on wednesday and then again on friday.

On days like your wednesday workout when your warmups are going up "lightning fast" and the weights "feel" light thats the day i'd go for the PR even if it's not in your schedule. I know when it comes to lifting the big weights it seems like it's more important for me to be "mentally" prepared and in the zone than physically.

Dan, I was stuck at 190 in the press for 2 months. I could not get 200 to go up, so I put 205 on the bar and blasted it! It seemed like a mental barrier for me.

Edited by ClayEdgin

Manvil, actually i didnt actually work the press on wednesday. I was working (at 24 hour fitness) and i walked by a 155 pound bar and decided to tear it up for a few reps and it felt so light! i just did 3 reps, smiled, and set it down...ego completely fed. :blush

I expected to be even stronger on my actual workout day, but it was weird...eh....tis life.

Life has been kind of kicking my ass lately, so im learning new and wonderful things daily :mellow

Hey Clay, thanks for the advice, man! Ill try that next time!

Dan

• 4 weeks later...

That's one hell of a one arm snatch! Most guys, myself included, are somewhat satsified to snatch that with both hands. :D