My Olympic Lifting!

Meat Loaf

well a month ago (i train oly once a month) i managed to snatch 215 (barely) and clean 265, just missing 275. Today, I snatched 225 and managed to clean and jerk 280!!! NEW PR PR PR PR PR!!!! :yikes. With the snatch, after i got 225, i kept trying to get 230, but alas....didn't happen (i had some pretty cool looking misses though...me flying over the barbell and swearing... :blush ) With the C&Js, I tried successfully my old foe that i have never gotten, 275, and got it, and then i loaded it up to 300, but...well.....shit. Next time its mine, Lord willing. I loaded it back up to 280 and rammed it over my head. I still need to work on my form...i know i could do more weight if i could manage to get my butt down in the low squat position quicker, but it will come with practice. I worked out for 3 hours and also managed to do a pretty full dip with 3 45s and a 25. Also a super-strict standing military press of 175. yay

:rock

God is good and we all should thank him for our strength

MEATLOAF

Wow! Especially the dips! How much do you weigh? I just got into OL. It's more fun to me than powerlifting. But I am nowhere near your PR's.

Keep lifting!

i'm 22 and i weigh around 225-230 kilos j/k pounds :D

i couldn't believe it with the dips cause i work chest 2x a month but dips only once a month. last month, i tried a PR at a dip with 3 45s on me, but this month i put 3 45s and a 25 to see if i could, and i did it.

i am learning to really get my butt down with the oly lifting. for example with the snatch, after you yank it up as hard as possible, you have to fly your ass down into the deepest squat position possible to be able to get under the weight.

get a coach for 2 or 3 sessions. i had an old timer oly lifter show me some pointers and it helped IMMENSELY!!!

good luck man

MEAT

Nice lifts Dan. Our PR's are nearly identical, but your bodyweight is much lower than mine. I also have to get my ass under the bar.

Thanks Clay. I've found that oly lifting required lots of trap and shoulder strength. I have the leg strength to do it, but i feel like my shoulders and traps are really getting challenged. In 2 months i will have a 245 snatch and a 300 pound clean and jerk or else i will kill myself. :ohmy whoa Dan...don't do that... :D j/k

i also learned that a complete body warmup with the 45 pound bar is required. i failed to warm up enough and after my snatches, my biceps became painfully sore and right in the beginning of the workout, since my legs weren't warm, my left knee hurt for a little. so WARM UP :ohmy

Clay you have only been lifting weights for a year or something and your lifts are the same as mine?? wow...cause i'm....like...the strongest guy on earth.... :D hehe j/k but im shooting for the moon. even if i miss i'll land among the stars (or maybe on the hot fiery sun and burn to death.....eh :ohmy )

Clay take care man n and your daughter is damn cute :D i saw the little 5 lb dumbbell lift!!!

MEAT

Your traps are definately worked. For my olympic lifting, one of the support exercises I like to do are hyper shrugs. Quite a unique lift, working calves and traps together. Very effective. A good shrug is vital to a good snatch.

Tried thick bar O lifting yet? I like it, I've gotten to the point where I can thick bar C&J about 10lbs. less than my thick bar deadlift. This helps during normal bar lifting because the weight does not feel heavy in your hand.

That's mighty impressive, Dan! I focused on military presses for a couple of months befor I could manage a PR of 180, but couldn't dream of jerkin 280! I'm always impressed by guys that can pop up a big C&J. It's probably the most visually impressive lift around.

Thanks Eric!! Well, the jerk was a push press and maybe you might call it a partial squat jerk. I am kind of afraid to to the split, and i don't feel like i need to...at least yet. I feel kinda embarrassed because there are bastards out there who can C&J over 500 pounds. Guys who aren't too much older than me. Maybe guys who are a year younger than me. :cry But oh well. I could probably deadlift or squat more than them. I'll just keep telling myself that.

Well, Eric, if you can strict military 180, you're press is better than mine and im sure you could jerk 280. I managed (though i simultaneously gave myself 5 hernias, popped a blood vessel, peed AND crapped my pants) to strict press 175, but i know lots of strongmen can do like twice that.

See, the recovery and the jerks are easy for me. I just have a hard time getting the bar racked on my shoulders at the beginning of the lift.

Good luck Eric!!!!

MEAT

You'd be suprised how crappy an Olympic lifter's strict presses would be. Rules indicate that the jerk must be made in one movement, no pressing out. It's alot of leg drive, whice doesn't mean it doesn't work your shoulders, but yeah, don't expect strongman pressing to come from an O lifter. Luckily I have both good leg drive and strong shoulders, this enables me to press out very high weights in strongman overhead lifting. I hope to break the axle press teen record next week.

i couldn't believe it with the dips cause i work chest 2x a month but dips only once a month. last month, i tried a PR at a dip with 3 45s on me, but this month i put 3 45s and a 25 to see if i could, and i did it.

Nice dipping Meatloaf! :bow Do you do weighted chins or pullups also?

What's the record? For exactly what age and weight class?

MEAT

Lightweight Teen < 185lbs.

The record stands at 205lbs. now, but I'm hoping to do 275lbs. May 1st.

What's the record? For exactly what age and weight class?

MEAT

Lightweight Teen < 185lbs.

The record stands at 205lbs. now, but I'm hoping to do 275lbs. May 1st.

Go get it Foggy!

Thanks, Odin! The most i've ever done with a weighted chin is with a 75 lb dumbbell.

Foggy mountain muscle...are you telling me you are gonna strict military press 275 and you are a teenager?? I hate to call bullshit, but.... what the hell???

MEAT

205 is a hell of a lot to be able to strict press. 275?? i just smell bullcrap. no offense, just clarify for me!!

Dan

Meatloaf, i'm not sure how much foggy can strict press but that doesn't really matter when it comes to doing an axle press. All that matters is that he locks it out, believe me its no bull. He will get around 275 and break the lighweight teen record.

Whatever you want to do to get it locked out over your head. If you want to kick it over your head and catch it, then lock it out, you can do it.

well hell, why didn't you say that before??? i ALWAYS do front kicks with 595 lbs!!! I set the bar down on the floor and wear protective boots, and then KICK the bar SO HARD that it flies up into the ait and into my hands. seriously.

MEAT

also, my best one arm snatch is 135 (which i can do with either arm) and my best 1 arm clean is 165 but im sure the clean has moved up given that my 2 arm clean has jumped up a bit too

MEAT

Meat Loaf, I'm sorry to tell you this, but it appears that Wannagrip has used his uber-mod powers to change your signature to reflect an unnatural and downright scary declaration of man-love ;) haha

Yeah, I've been lifting for a little over a year now, but I outweigh you by more than a couple pounds so your lifts are really good! It does suck though to think that in order to be considered even in the top 75% of O-lifters that you need to be jerking what most people can't deadlift! Guess we need to just work harder, eh?

Greetings, Clay

how's the family?

Well, my oly lifting has gone up because i have gotten stronger, but also because my technique is getting a lot better. also, i think that it's kinda shitty how some oly lifters have natural advantages cause of their height compared to armspan...etc. Plus i know i can C&J more than 280, but i always do them after my snatches, so my traps (major pulling muscles!) are kinda worn out. Maybe next time I'll do my C&J first and attempt a 300.

oh and by the way...my new sig was added by me. it is a sarcastic remark about Bill and about all the crap i got and went thru about my "horrible" ex-signature. Bill wasn't being mean, but i thought he was being weird about the whole thing and was bothering with things that don't really matter.

For example, at one of my ex-colleges, Biola University, the campus safety officers were gay nazi butthole eaters from hell and were always throwing their weight around, writing millions of tickets for even the most minor of offenses, so it was a running joke for students to put a sticker on their cars reading, "I love campus safety". I actually just put a big sticker on my truck that said "I hate campus safety". I felt like it was more direct :yikes

Peace be with you

MEAT

p.s. :rock

Edited by Meat Loaf

The family is good. The wife is looking to get hired at this place she is doing her externship with, which would mean several dollars more an hour at a full time gig. Courtney is growing like a weed in springtime and finds new ways to keep us on our toes. I have to hide my blobs and Inch bell because she will try to roll them out and sit on them. She also laughs when I'm repping a gripper. Somehow it's funny!

I liked your old sig!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

well i gpt my ass thouroughly whompes today. set a snatch PR...235, but i coulda done 240. i tried 245 but i just couldn't make it after many tries. Clean and jerking was a disaster. I managed to actually clean 300, but i kept falling backwards cause my feet were 2 wide. embarrassing. and my wrist hurt like hell and it was very unflexible (maybe contributed to my failures). well, my right wrist REALLY was hurting and i KNOW that i coulda C&Jd 300 if my wrist wasn't hurting. see, i would get to the bottom of the clean, and have to drop it cause of intense wrist pain. but my strength is goin up!

im gonna take a shower

ow. :cry

MEAT