Gripboard Grip Bash V: Official Rules

EricMilfeld

I have been practising 4 finger deadlifts, and find it difficult to keep the unused fingers out of the way.

Yes, I've noticed this as well. For clarification, it's okay if the top of these "unused" fingers contact the bar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EricMilfeld

• Jedd Johnson

• Clay Edgin

• austinslater

One week to go contestants! I think Chris, Weldon, and I will meet up next Sunday or Monday to contest the events. Should be fun. Anyone else gonna make a get-together of it?

Dave, Gordon, my brothers and I are going to get together for it. Haven't done most of these before should be interesting.

Sausage Fingers, blobue, and I are going to try to do this at the same time too since we live in the same town. I am going to try to con my dad into doing it too although his knees might not let him do the deadlift stuff.

Edited by ClayEdgin

Clarification question.

I interpreted the rules for the four finger deadlift "reverse grip" to mean the opposite of double overhand. During a conversation this weekend with others who are planning on participating it was apparent that they interpreted "reverse" to mean mixed. Which one is it?

I believe he is referring to the standard deadlift positioning, the alternated grip, where one hand is pronated and the other is supinated, Gordon. But we should hear from Eric before we go and mistakenly do the wrong movement. Good question, bro.

-Jedd-

Sorry about the confusion. I guess I've always used the term "reverse" to mean "alternated" or "mixed". So yes, grab it the way most people would a deadlift (one hand overhand, the other underhand).

As a reminder, my e-mail address has changed twice recently, so please e-mail your contest results by clicking on my e-mail link here on the board.

Also, please note that I made a couple of clarifications concerning the rules, earlier in this post.

I'm especially excited about the contest this time around. I think it's gonna be a big turnout!

Guys,

One note - Don't wait until the end of the contest period to do all of the lifts. You might have a less-than-par day. We have the flexibility to spread things out over the week in this kind of contest, as well as knocking the weight s down and up.

Good luck to all.

-Jedd-

VERY IMPORTANT: When performing the straphold event, please insure that you are lifting the strap as close to vertical as possible, without allowing the metal strap to "rest" on the edge of a gripper handle. In other words, if you are bending the strap at the point where it contacts the gripper handle, you are gaining an unfair advantage. Chris, Weldon, and I discovered this yesterday while we were contesting the events. I failed several times to get any more than about 20 pounds in this event, but with a slight tilt of the gripper up went 25 pounds with ease. I obviously didn't count the 25 pounds. So please police yourselves strictly.

DOH!

Totally forgot about the grip bash in my grip workout today. Oh well, I hope to pull a big reverse curl tomarrow. Might be a little late but I guess I should post my hopeful PRs for my sake.

345lbs. overhand deadlift

225lbs. four finger deadlift

150lbs. pinch

I just hope I can straphold 2.5 on my #1!

125lbs. wrist curl

After looking at other people's estimates and my own, man my crushing sucks!

What are everyone's goals/PR's for the upcoming contest?

I am looking for 405 in the double overhand dead. I have still not tried the two-finger dead. I want 200 in the pinch. The reverse curl scares me because my forearm is still tender. I'm thinking 50 pounds with the straphold is doable, although, I really don't know.

What's everybody else think? I figure this is a friendly contest, so maybe people would be more open about their lifts.

-Jedd-

Well, I got my double overhand goal. Outdid my expectations in the 2 finger dead. Reverse curl, I think I should have done better in. Didn't get my pinch goal or my strap goal. Strapholding with a metal banding strip is tough!

How's everyone else doing?

-Jedd-

Haven't got numbers for the two DL events yet... going to do these on the weekend. Quitely confident on these, especially double overhand... I just managed to get 5 reps with only 5kgs less than what I predicted for my max... so should outdo my prediction on that one :)

Straphold and reverse curl about what I thought I'd get.... but the pinch wasn't what I predicted :( ...ripped skin off the inside of my thumbs trying though :)

Didn't have any suitable metal strap or a metal ruler, so I ended up using a strip of plastic packing "tape" or whatever it is called for the straphold... it's very hard, slippery plastic strap, so hopefully that's OK with y'all?

Edited by mcham

I guess I was worn out from the other events, because my pinch was down a bit. The staphold was very humbling. I far exeeded my expectations on the two finger, and got PR's in the double overhand and the reverse curl. I tried pinching again today, but discovered I was STILL worn out! :laugh

mcham, if the plastic strapping withstands the pressure applied from the gripper's edges without denting than its use is okay. I had trouble locating my ruler and was about ready to drill a hole through the handle of a butter knife before my wife finally located the ruler. :D

Not having a #1 gripper, I had intended to use a #2 for the straphold. I then remembered it was very much a cut down gripper! Oh well I will just have to skip the straphold event. :D

DOH!

Totally forgot about the grip bash in my grip workout today. Oh well, I hope to pull a big reverse curl tomarrow. Might be a little late but I guess I should post my hopeful PRs for my sake.

345lbs. overhand deadlift

225lbs. four finger deadlift

150lbs. pinch

I just hope I can straphold 2.5 on my #1!

125lbs. wrist curl

After looking at other people's estimates and my own, man my crushing sucks!

Foggy. It's a standing curl, not a wrist curl, buddy.

-Jedd-

i did quite a bit better than i was expecting. PR's in every event. of course, most of you could manage my PR's in your sleep, with one arm behing your back

Did the first three last night. Was in the neighborhood of what I expected on the double overhand dead. I might try it again on Fri or Sat. Did way more than I though I could in the two finger and might try that again as well. The strict nature of the reverse curl killed my ego. Way less than I thought I could get.

I don't know about anyone else, but after getting walloped by the straphold and the reverse curl I am anxious to see how other people did. Jedd, if you got even half of your straphold prediction I'll be thoroughly impressed.

Reverse curls are one of the few things I am good at! I did not do the straphold with gripper. Mainly I took part to support Eric, although there has been more interest this time around. :D

I am good at reverse curls, and yes I ment to do 125 reverse curl. Unfortunately that prediction was made based on some poundages on a smaller easier bar and a nagging tendon in my left wrist cost me about 10-15lbs. I am determined now to reverse curl 135 by the end of the year. On the up side I had no way of knowing I could pull so much weight in the 4 finger deadlift. I exceeded my estimate by 60 pounds, but man it hurt like hell!

Foggy, i hear you on the 4 finger dead. I got alot more than i was expecting but i think i could of gotte even more if it didn't so much.

The posting of the results will take me a bit longer than usual, due to the fact that my work schedule has changed since choosing the dates for the contest, as well as the fact that the turnout was pleasingly plump. So I'll be taking all the results with me to work today and calculating the placings, for posting when I arrive home late tonight. Thanks.