Gripboard Grip Bash V: Official Rules

EricMilfeld

TIME:

ooo1, Sunday, May 9th through 2359, Saturday, May 15th, Central Standard Time

EVENTS:

Double Overhand Deadlift:

Perform a deadlift using standard rules of performance, with a double overhand grip. The bar may stop during the lift, but must not me lowered at all until the completion of the lift. Don't support the bar on your thighs. After initiation of the lift, the knees must not re-bend until the completion of the lift. The knees must only continue to straighten from the initiation to the completion of the lift. Stand erect with the shoulders back, knees locked, and hips forward at the lift's completion. The thumbs may be placed in any position other than under the finger(s). No hook gripping is allowed. The bar and plates must be standard olympic style. The bar's sleeves must rotate independently of the bar itself. The bar must be placed on the floor for the starting position. Sumo deadlifting is permissable. A lifting belt is allowed.

Four Finger Deadlift:

All of the above rules apply, except for the grip itself. Grip the bar with the first two fingers (forefinger and middle finger) of each hand, reverse grip style. Just as above, the thumbs may be placed in any postition other than under the fingers. No hook gripping is allowed.

Plate Pinch: Using both hands, pinch grip two metallic plates, with the smooth sides facing outwards, clearing the ground by atleast 3 inches and holding for atleast 2 seconds in the completed position. Additional weight may be added by a means of your choice, provided that the additional weight is balanced between the front and the back of the two plates.

Gripper Straphold:

Using an Iron Mind #1 gripper, pinch a metallic strap with attached weight to atleast three inches off the floor, and hold for two seconds in the completed position. The strap must not exceed 1/8" in thickness, and be no wider than a standard ruler. Banding strap or a metal ruler is suggested. The top of the strap must not exceed past the point where the gripper's handles contacts the strap by more than 1/2". Insure the strap doesn't rest on the hand, but rather, that it hangs freely from the gripper. Incidental contact with the stap by the gripping hand is permissable. You may set the gripper to depth of parallel handles.

Reverse Curl:

Using a standard olympic bar and plates, perform a strict curl with the hands in an overhand position. No hook gripping is allowed. The buttocks, shoulder blade area, and the back of the head must contact a vertical wall throughout the entire lift. The arms must be straight at the start of the lift. The bar must reach chin level at the completion of the lift.

Scoring:

As in the last contest, a points system will be used. Ten points are awarded for the best lift in each category. The other finishers receive a score by dividing their poundage by the winning poundage, and multiplying by ten. Final rankings are determined by the sum all the individual event's scores.

E-mailing Results by Example:

Eric Milfeld (Gripboard nickname here if applicable)

overhand 350

four finger 320 PR

straphold 20

pinch 145 PR

curl 105

Additional Notes:

Only regular gym chalk may be used as a grip aid. Report all lifts in pounds. Include the weight of the loading pin itself and any other apparatus that is lifted as part of the total weight lifted. Designate any personal records you set by placing a "PR" next to the lift in your e-mailed results. Your e-mails (not PM's) must reach me by 2359 Central Standard Time on Saturday, May 15th. And as always, enjoy yourselves as you compete with a spirit of integrity and camaraderie!

Edited by EricMilfeld

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EricMilfeld

• Jedd Johnson

• Clay Edgin

• austinslater

Perhaps the most interesting array of grip selections were chosen for this installment of the Grip Bash, in part because a public vote was used to determine them. What a great idea.

I'm in.

-Jedd-

Edited by Jedd Johnson

Can wimps compete, too? I didn't realize that there wouldn't be a bunch of bending and #3 closes - I can actually do all of these, even if I'm not so strong on all of them. If it's open to all, sign me up :)

Very cool! I'm looking forward to competing again.

I believe it's always open to all members, ian.

All the best to you.

-Jedder-

Can wimps compete, too? I didn't realize that there wouldn't be a bunch of bending and #3 closes - I can actually do all of these, even if I'm not so strong on all of them. If it's open to all, sign me up :)

You're officially "signed up". :D

I can't wait! I don't even mind getting last place. :D Good luck to everyone who's going to compete.

Can wimps compete, too?  I didn't realize that there wouldn't be a bunch of bending and #3 closes - I can actually do all of these, even if I'm not so strong on all of them.  If it's open to all, sign me up :)

You're officially "signed up". :D

Thanks - looking forward to competing :rock

oops

Edited by Woodchuck

I'm in.

My one concern is about the straphold. Steel banding is appx. .030" thick while a ruler is .125" thick. I would guess that a thicker strap would allow for more weight to be lifted. Maybe we should commit to either using a ruler or banding, but not both. thoughts?

Clay is right, the banding from tetting is well under 1/8" while a ruler is going to be thicker. I say we go with banding. Im curious what others think

My one concern is about the straphold.  Steel banding is appx. .030" thick while a ruler is .125" thick.  I would guess that a thicker strap would allow for more weight to be lifted.  Maybe we should commit to either using a ruler or banding, but not both.  thoughts?

Point well taken. But we should probably keep the rule as written. We all have the option of using a ruler at a full 1/8" thickness as the rules now allow. I mentioned the banding should someone, for whatever reason, not have access to a metal ruler. We do want to keep this contest "accessible" for as many people as practically possible. With a gripper of the relatively weak strength of a #1, a 1/16" difference in thickness shouldn't make a super significant difference in results. That is my guess, anyways. Is this cool with you guys?

And Clay, is that little Japanese fellow who called you a "crazy white Godzirra" okay?

Edited by EricMilfeld

Eric, good point!

It will be interesting to see what kind of numbers Joel puts up. I'm guess a 600 double overhand deadlift!

Count me in.

Hey since weaklings count... I'm in.

Does someone calculate the standings or what? I've never check up on these before.

ya Eric the one who's running it does.

Eric, one question. For the plate pinch, will a chain through the plate holes hooked to a loading pin be O.K. for additional weight?

Eric, one question. For the plate pinch, will a chain through the plate holes hooked to a loading pin be O.K. for additional weight?

Yes, that would be fine.

Eric,

For clarification, on the plate pinch are we running a pipe through the 2 plates to add weight or are we adding weight by some other means?

David, you can use a pipe or some other means, provided the weight is evenly distributed between the front and back side of the plates. Please see the rules regarding the plate pinch.