Do Coc Grippers Loosen?

Mikko Korhonen

Ok, then your absolutely right. Everything from Ironmind 1990 to the present is a lie. How could I have been so blinded. Of course he wouldn't have tested Kinney's gripper for validation purposes (remembering that at that time some people were saying the #4 was uncloseable, and Kinney was a fake) and I am sure it wasn't tested for the book in 2003 either. Dr. Strossen only said it was to quell the whispers...

...so your right, grippers weaken, and that's the end. That means when you finally close your tough grippers after training for it, then you really haven't achieved as much as you thought. Make sure you buy a new gripper once every couple of weeks or so so you really know where you are... in fact, since torsion springs are so fickle, then why don't we just all scrap the grippers and do tests of grip only on plate loaded machines with Ivanko plates... then everyone could agree on basic gravity I think, and 165 kg would always be 165 kg in the case of a #4 rating.

To answer your very polite question, between my neighbor and I, we have 17 grippers now. we have the Trainer through the #4 three times, and an extra #2 and #3. On one set (trainer to #4) the handles are filed down. Then we have a normal set, I have the extra #2 and #3, and the other 5 are still in the package.

Just because I am new to this forum, does not make me a total virgin to the concept of grip training. It could be that you are right... could be... but I just don't believe it. And even if there is a weakening, then it obviously is so imperceptable that my neighbor/training partner, work colleagues, and myself have not noticed it.

Anyway, this topic is over for me. I'm not here to argue with you. I don't buy it, that's all.

Well, you're not going to turn a #3 into a #2's difficulty. And I love torsion spring grippers! They just weaken a bit, haven't the gaps between any of your grippers widened or narrowed since you've gotten them?

Anyway, not everything that Randy says is a lie, but just try to square up what's written in his Paul Anderson book to what Joe Roarke will tell you...

Answering Mobsterones Points:

1) you wont always get the answer you want.

I don't want an answer one way or another. I just hate hen picking at something so fickle without any grounding other than "feelings".

2) Don't presume Randall is completely honest or dishonest.

Of course not. Humans are all subject to biases and BS.

3) He may well pre fatigue the new grippers.

Ahh, perhaps this is the Answer.

4) I made mention of the guys here with 40 or more - they say they do weaken.

Do these 40 people buy your grippers now, are they your friends?

5) Do a search on Joe Kinney - at one point he was aid to have lost it, lent it to a friend and so on.

Ok.

6) Randall doesn't state how Joe's gripper was tested and the methods he mentioned came from his catalogs, this site and PDA

No, but he states how the grippers themselves as a whole were tested.

7) He slags off PDA within a few pages then goes on to say that they may have a point

No, that's incorrect. He says we can learn something from other peoples experiments even if they are done poorly.

8) If flabbergastenpoopy all was wrong with the grippers why did they need changing/bettering

The majority of the changes were in the handle, and in dress design. There was one experiemt done with the directional rotation of the spring which didn't last long.

9) perhaps Joe's 4 was a bitch of a 4 and was tested and came within, after seasoning, the expected range.

Again, could be.

10) PDA's reference comes from the spring companies themselves - so how does Randall do better - has he beaten spring companies at their own game - in which case there's a lot more money in springs than there is in grippers.

What is the layout of their study? And where can I find more info on this?

11) Why do you ask the 30+ CoC's that post here and the 100's of other would be 1, 2 and 3 CoC closers (a fairly big group) if the gripper weakens then argue it doesn't because of one mans word.

I didn't start the topic. I answered into it.