Vince's Grip Log

vince

March 30, 2004

just noticed my last pinch routine i made a boo boo on the date - my bad :whistel

Wrists

single hand, Wrist curls 3x8 45 lbs

single hand, Wrist extensions 2x2 30 lbs, 1x1 - failed on second rep for both hands on the third set

extensor work with a bucket of rice

March 31, 2004

Crush

IS gripper positions 6 & 4, 113.48 lbs

Right hand, 5x5

Left hand, 5x3

No-Set Work

Right hand, #1 BTR 2x2 (i couldn't fully close this, but had it not been a ground down gripper, i would've actually closed it - so it won't be long)

Left hand, T BTR 2x2 (same here, had it not been ground down i would've actually had the handles click - won't be long here either)

Left again, BB beginner, BTR 2x2 (here got it with ease)

dexterity balls for 5 3 minute rounds and then hot/cold treatments.

all in all i feel my left hand is slowly becoming better - maybe i could've done more but i didn't wanna aggravate that old injury. this is good news cause i'll be able to really pick up the pace with my right. i held my right hand back because i didn't want to be working just one hand and not the other - i want both my left, and right to be strong.

as for RT dead lifts - i won't be touching those for a while, last time i did, i got a strain in the area where i had surgery for my hernia :whacked

thanks for reading and stay strong!! :rock

April 1st, 2004

Thumbs

TTK - both hands 17.5 lbs 3x8 - i know that most people tend to go a lot heavier on the TTK after veiwing their logs, i tried this but it just aggravates my left hand still... so i'll stick with higher reps until whenever

Pinch

IM pinch block holds for time

right hand 20 lbs 3 x 22 seconds

left hand 20 lbs 2 x 18 seconds, 1 x 15 seconds

lately i been really concentrating on the IM pinch block, for 2 reasons. firstly cause of the slippery texture, really got to pinch that much harder. secondly, because of the dimensions, which in terms of thickness, is almost the same as having 2 45 lbs plates together (at least with the plates at my gym) which is my ultimate goal, to pinch grip two 45 plates.

stay strong!! :rock

TTK - both hands 17.5 lbs 3x8 - i know that most people tend to go a lot heavier on the TTK after veiwing their logs, i tried this but it just aggravates my left hand still... so i'll stick with higher reps until whenever

Hey Vince, I just started doing some of my reps using the "beer mug" style, so my poundages will drop. Don't pay any attention to what others are doing as far as weight on the TTK. For example if you are doing your reps with only your thumb and index finger touching, and someone else is using all four fingers on the bottom, they will do more weight. AFAIK, unlike the squat or other standard exercise, there is no "standard" method of comparison w/ the TTK.

Two 45's would be sweet, I'd like to do that also, especially since I couldn't do two 25's not so long ago. Do you ever use two 45's for negatives or two-hand reps?

I hope your left hand pain is soon just a memory, and your strength continues to grow by leaps and bounds.

i've never tried to do negatives yet with 2 45's yet. so far i've only tried to see if my hands are capable of that feat in terms of the stretch to grasp both plates and they are.

i've tried 2 25's recently when i was at the gym and was able to fully dead lift them with both hands.

mind you odin, and you're going to think this odd, i can't pinch grip 5 10 lbs plates, or even 4 for that matter, despite the fact that i can pinch grip 2 25's.

reason is, with 4 or 5 10 lbs plates, it isn't the weight that is a factor but the stretch that my hands have to do to grasp the plates and at that point i find that i can't really exert any strength :blink

April 2, 2004

Wrists

wrist curls 45 lbs 3x9

reverse wrist curls 25 lbs 3x4

April 3rd, 2004

today i didn't do any work on my hands, just active rest. some dexterity balls, a cheap version i found at some store of IM's snow ball and some stretching of the forearms as well as hot/cold.

i'm finding that working pinch, wrists, and especially crush 2x a week is the way for me to go. if i tried to push it further my left hand wouldn't last very long.

stay strong grip freakz!! :rock

April 4th

Crush

Well my crush feels like it is becoming stronger, and coming closer to where it used to be I might add. It seems like I've found the perfect frequency for myself, regarding crush, which is 2x a week.

Anyhow here's what I did, after warming up.

IS gripper positions 6 & 4, 113.48 lbs 1x1 - felt easy

positions 7 & 4, 130.15, 6 singles

attempted positions 7 & 5, 140.32, 2 singles right hand. 2 misses left hand.

no pain so far in my left, which is great.

April 5, 2004

despite havin a shit day, i wouldn't let it spoil what i like to do, and one thing i like to do is grip training.

so without any further adieu,

Pinch

TTK (2 fingers plus thumb/one hand)

10 lbs 6 sets x 5 reps right hand, 4 reps left

IM pinch block

35 lbs 6 singles right hand, managed to get 1 single with my left, but failed all other attempts after that, so...

32.5 lbs 5 singles left hand

April 7, 2004

Pinch

on a side note was supposed to work wrists yesterday but had one hell of a headache i said to hell with it.

anyhow here's what i did.

IM pinch block

15 lbs ISO holds for 25 seconds x4 both hands

20 lbs ISO holds for 15 seconds x4 both hands (last few seconds was a real struggle)

TTK

right hand 3x5 10 lbs

left hand 3x3 10 lbs

stay strong :rock

April 8, 2004

Crush

IS gripper isometric holds

4x15 seconds positions 7 & 4, 130.15

left hand was a little sore so i cut back a bit today

IM pinch block

15 lbs ISO holds for 25 seconds x4 both hands

20 lbs ISO holds for 15 seconds x4 both hands (last few seconds was a real struggle)

sorry for any confusion as i was asked about this, when i said both hands for the ISO holds on the pinch block, i meant that i did each hold with a single hand but managed to hold the same weight for the same amount of time with both hands.

stay strong!!

April 9, 2004

Wrists

wrist curls 50 lbs 3x6

reverse wrist curls 25 lbs 1x6, 1x5, 1x4

this two movements alone have really helped with my punching - i feel the difference when i hit a heavy bag my wrists don't give way as they used to. hence, i can transfer more power with less chance of injury to my wrists.

April 11, 2004

Crush

I worked on some negatives today with the BBM for my right, tried it with my left but my left hand was starting to act up again. so i went to the BBSA for my left which felt fine. i did this for 6 sets.

next, ISG

positions 5 & 8, 161.75 lbs, 5 x 10 seconds left & right.

April 12, 2004

Pinch

IM pinch block 35 lbs both hands. i tried 37.5 lbs and even though i got it up with my right, i wasn't happy as i wasn't able to hold it for very long....

what i did was take some chain i have and started to wrap it around, not all of it, the loading pin. this way there's accomodating resistance on the way up and microloading as well.

i did 4 singles, attempted a fifth, i just couldn't get the weight up.

TTK

right hand 10 lbs, 2x7

left hand 10 lbs, 2x6

April 13, 2004

Wrists

dumb bell wrist curls 45 lbs 1x12, 1x11, 1x10

dumbell reverse wrist curls 20 lbs 3x10

April 14, 2004

Crush

had an idea about improving the condition of my left hand... so started working on a specific gripper until i can do 20 reps straight, after that, move on to the next one. hopefully in time can attempt max efforts on grippers with my left hand.

Right hand

BTR #1 no set close 4 singles

Left hand

BB B 4x10 - i stopped it there because at the 4th set i started to feel a bit of a strain.

April 18, 2004

i skipped a wrist and a pinch work out because my left hand was real sore the day after my crush routine. so i decided to give it some rest. today though when i worked it my hand felt much better during the work out itself and after as well :yikes

Crush

Right hand BB SA 4x13 reps (maybe i have a real tough #1 but i find my SA much easier than my #1)

Left hand BB B 4x14 reps

my goal is to reach 20 reps. after that i'll move onto the next gripper. don't know if any of you would agree with this or not, some of you may even laugh... but so far i feel this is really workin my left hand well without any discomfort in the injury i had thus far. sixgun says he likes to apply this to some of his lifts in the gym - when i thought, what if i apply that to my crush.

April 17, 2004

Pinch

decided to do one arm upright rows with the pinch block... needless to say i had to lighten the load a bit. found this really challenging cause of the slippery surface. tried one set on both hands with 3 10lbs plates and wasn't a problem.

IM Pinch Block one arm upright rows

3x5 20 lbs

TTK

right 10 lbs 2x7

left 10 lbs 2x5

April 20, 2004

Wrists

found a bar at a machine shop today that no one really had any use for so i took it. it weighs 10 lbs and thought it would be perfect for levering. taped up one end heavily to simulate a thick bar handle. good thing about it was in the middle of the bar the circumference is much larger than the rest of the bar which is grate so plates won't move all the way down and all i got to use is a clip on the top.

anyhow, here's what i did.

Levering

3 sets front and back for 7 reps with an additional 2.5 lbs added.

Wrist curls

3x7 45 lbs - usually i can do more reps with this, guess i just had an off day for wrist curls or the fact that i did levering before.

reverse wrist curls

2x7 both hands 25 lbs

1x6 right hand

1x4 left hand

April 21, 2004

Crush

feel that working crush twice a week for now is beginning to pay off. i managed, once only, to shut the BB Master with my right hand :D i attempted a second time but couldn't do it. this was a no set, no warm up i just grabbed the gripper and squeezed as hard as i could as if my life depended on it.

i feel my left hand is finally making some progress - i can finally rep the trainer with it. there was a time when if i'd even just attempt to shut the trainer with my left hand i'd feel a really sharp, knife-edged like pain in my hand. honestly i got no idea how the injury happened. before i got the injury i was able to shut the #1 but one day i decide warm up with trainer and boom - feel a real sharp stabbing pain. my guess is it got injured by something else... but don't know what :blink

anyhow here's what i did in full detail.

Right hand

BB Master no-set 1x1, failed all other attempts

BB Super advanced no-set 3x16, 1x12 this was my absolute last rep

Left hand

BB Beginner no-set 1x20 - this was my goal, reached 20 reps so onto the next gripper.

Trainer BTR no-set 3x7 any reps after the 7th i couldn't make a full close.

i attempted a few strap holds but my left hand wasn't really liking that - guess my hand isn't totally out of the woods yet. either way i'm happy, as it is progress. hoping somewhere in the summer that i'll be able to rep away with the #1 with my left hand.

thanks for reading - stay strong!! :rock

April 22, 2004

Wrists

Plate curls

right hand 2 10 lbs plates, 1x4, 1x5, 1x6

left hand everything the same

Power wrist curls

right hand 65 lbs 3x3

left hand exacly the same

Wrist extensions

right hand 25 lbs 3x8

left hand 25 lbs 3x8

on April 23, 2004

Pinch

PR!!! IM Pinch Block dead lift 40 lbs each hand. held for 5 seconds in my right hand, 2 seconds in my left. i did this for 4 sets.

lifted a 35 lbs plate by the hub for a single left and right. all other attempts after that were misses.

TTK 10 lbs

right hand 2x9

left hand 2x6

thanks for reading - feel free to make any suggestions or comments