Vince's Grip Log

vince

decided to start makin a log. my left hand was injured not too long ago but it seems to be feeling much better, sleeping with winter gloves really does the trick :yikes was able to close the #2 but that's in the past, i can't touch it now if my life depended on it :blink

i decided to hit crush/wrist and pinch/thumbs 3 times a week. i'm not using the COC or BB grippers so much now for the moment, cause oddly enough, if i try to close a gripper - an easy one for me, i start feeling discomfort in my left hand again :blink . so i've decided to avoid those for the time being.

instead i'm working negatives on the Ivanko super gripper. i'm into the third day, second time working crush/wrist this week. here's what i did:

negatives with the Ivanko supper gripper - held for as tightly as i can for 5 seconds. the setting i had the IS gripper on was from the bottom of the sweep i had the first spring up on the fourth setting. the second spring up 3 settings above that. i did this for 4 sets.

next wrist curls and reverse wrist curls:

3x8 40 lbs dumbell wrist curls

3x8 20 lbs dumbell reverse wrist curls

after that some stretching which i found helps a whole lot too. then hot/cold

oh forgot to add, feel free to add any comments or suggestions.

stay strong!! :rock

Hello Vince, I'm looking forward to following your progress.

What kind of block weights/pinch grip equipment will you be using? Do you use the ISG, Pony clamps, TTK, or something else for your thumbs?

There are a few websites (someone that posts here) that give corresponding poundage ratings for ISG spring positional settings.

Vince, what are your baseline numbers? For example, what can you pinch with one hand or two? What is the highest gripper that you've closed? Do you use thick bars at all? What kind of weight? Do you do any bending? What's your bodyweight? And to answer your obvious question...NO I'm not stalking you! :D

Vince, what are your baseline numbers? For example, what can you pinch with one hand or two? What is the highest gripper that you've closed? Do you use thick bars at all? What kind of weight? Do you do any bending? What's your bodyweight? And to answer your obvious question...NO I'm not stalking you! :D

bencrush, i can pinch on the Ironmind pinch block 30 lbs currently. i also use the hub pinch on that i can pinch 20 lbs. i don't have any access to block weights i'm afraid... all i see is hex dumbells whenever i go to a store that sells weights :whacked

the best gripper that i can close at the moment is my #1, but barely!

i do thick bar once a week - anymore than that an i feel it takes away from my crush which i really want to get up but at the same time develop a good foundation of hand strength. i can lift 140 lbs, which is a PR for me, on the RT.

currently i don't do any bending but i tried it a couple of times and absolutely is something i'd like to get into in the near future. my body weight fluctuates a lot but a couple weeks ago i weighed about 200 lbs.... now i weigh 195 since i weighed myself last. my hands are rather small, only 7 inches. one dude told me i got big hands for my height but, after coming to the board that isn't the case at all :D

and to answer your questions odin, as i've already answered a few of them in my response to bencrush. i use the TTK - one of the best buys i've ever made as far as grip goes. i like it cause of the fact that you can keep on loading weight to it.

as far as grippers go, i got a trainer to #4 with 2 #3's. i got the BB beginner, super advanced, master, super master, and grand master. i don't use them too much now cause of the nature of the condition in my left hand, so the ISG will have to do for now. though i do attempt a gripper with my lefty, which i'm trying to close the #1 with my left.

stay strong fellahs and thanks for the encouragement! i look forward to watching your progressions as well! :rock

just finnished working thumbs and pinch.

TTK - single hands

3x12 7.5 lbs

1x1 10 lbs L

1x3 10 lbs R

1x12 7.5 lbs

for pinch, i found pinching 3 10 lbs plates together rather easy, but was frustrated because i couldn't pinch 4 10 lbs plates together, they'd always slip out.

so i took a bar (it weighs 5 lbs), and slided 3 10 lbs plates onto it with a 2.5 plate - held it for 5 seconds. easy

tried with another 2.5 lbs plate for 5 seconds each hand - easy.

then tried adding 2 2.5 lbs plates - could hold it for 5 seconds, but probably not much longer.

did this for 3 sets.

thanks for reading.

today did some strap holds

#1 thick IM strap 3 sets for 10 second holds R H 7.5 lbs

T thin IM strap 3 sets for 10 second holds L H 7.5 lbs

i stopped it at that for crush cause my lefty was starting to feel the effects slightly of the previous injury i had, nothing serious though - only slight discomfort.

then on to wrists.

pronation/supination 10 rotations with 7.5 lbs both hands for 3 sets.

worked crush and wrists today.

my left hand felt better than it did last crush work out.

made a few no set close on the T and #1 with my left.

almost managed a close on the T and got the #1 to parallel.

shut both no set with my right hand but, couldn't shut the #1 a second time for no set.

went to work on the IS gripper, here's what i did.

5x10 sets both hands, with one spring set at the top (easiest setting) with another spring set 6 intervals from the bottom of the sweep.

i concentrated on making the concentric as explosive as possible.

for wrists:

went down in reps on my reverse wrist curls, maybe just a bad day :blink

4x3 25 lbs

wrist curls

5x45 lbs

thumbs/pinch

TTK/both thumbs

10 lbs x 6 reps

15 lbs x 6 reps

20 lbs x 6 reps for 3 sets

attempted to do a max but felt discomfort in my left hand still - so for the time being will stick to lighter weights.

IM pinch hub dead lifts

10 lbs x 5 reps

17.5 lbs x 5 reps

25 lbs x 1 rep right hand (PR)

for the left used my right hand to assist, then held it as long as i could, which was for 12 seconds.

today's crush/forearm was pretty much the same with a few changes.

after warming up.

made 5 attempts with both hands on shutting the trainer, that i filed down i might add, with only 3 fingers - essentially, this is the only way i think i could shut a gripper with a no set, my pinkie is just too short so i train this way now.

made all the attempts with my right hand no problem. left hand, not quite but it won't be long, i'm very close.

after that:

5 sets x 6 reps IS Gripper same setting as last crush work out

forearms:

3 sets x 4 reps 45 lbs wrist curls

3 sets x 10 reps 20 lbs reverse wrist curls

IM pinch block dead lifts

after warm up,

32.5 lbs 3x3

loaded the pin to 65 lbs, used both hands for another 3 sets.

TTK both hands

20 lbs 3 x 1

22.5 lbs 1 x 1

25 lbs 1 x 3

today was supposed to work crush again but after attempting to warm up i felt my left hand acting up again, the tendon responsible for bending the index finger and middle finger.... so put the grippers down and decided to give my hand a few days off :yikes

well attempted a few warm ups with an easy gripper and still felt some bad discomfort in my left hand. so i said screw the grippers for now :rock

decided to work thickbar with the frequency i normally worked on with grippers.

today being a light day, here's what i did.

after warming up with light weight on the RT handle, i worked on holds for time.

4x30 seconds 100 lbs

pinch:

4 10 lbs plates with a bar through

3 dead lifts - after i reached the top of the lift my fingers just about gave out and let go of the plates

TTK

3x15 10 lbs

after that went and did some hot cold treatments for my hands. my hand felt great during the routine too :mosher

140lbs

rock on!! :rock

wrists today,

wrist curls 45 lbs 3 x 6 reps

reverse wrist curls 25 lbs 3 x 12 reps

medium day( for thick bar)

RT dead lifts, 125 lbs 3 x 8 reps

TTK

decided to try out some negatives on the TTK, so here's what i did

single thumb, 3 sets 12.5 lbs

after that hot/cold

hand is feeling slightly better, started taking glucosamine yesterday, without any chondroitin.

stay strong!!

wrists today.

wrist curls:

45 lbs 1x5

35 lbs 1x12

45 lbs 1x6

35 lbs 1x12

reverse wrist curls:

25 lbs 3x4 reps

less volume than i'd like to do but, left hand is still somewhat sensitive around the tendon responsible for bending the middle finger - however no discomfort at all during the wrist and reverse wrist curls.

well good news.

i was able to work crush today; however, i couldn't try to do anything heavy with the grippers, pain was that bad. i went light, as in like 15 reps, on the ivanko super gripper.

so i did 2 sets of 15 at which point i reached failure on the setting i was using.

then i went on to TTK single hands

12.5 lbs 1 rep on both thumbs - PR!!

after that i couldn't get it again so dropped the weight down to 7.5 lbs and repped away to 12 reps for 2 sets.

didn't touch thick bar.

March 29, 2004

Crush

Iso-holds on Ivanko Super Gripper for 30 seconds, 4 sets

positions 6 and 4, 113.48 lbs.

RT

Iso-holds for 30 seconds, 2 sets for 30 seconds

100 lbs

thanks for reading - stay strong :rock

March 30, 2004

Pinch & thumbs

IM pinch block

30 lbs 3x3

attempted 35 lbs 1x1 right, 1x1 left

attempted 37.5 lbs 1x1 right, miss left

TTK (light day)

7.5 lbs 4x15

IM pinch block

30 lbs 3x3

Those are pretty good numbers for that slippery beast! :rock I've only used mine a few times, but I think my best is 35 with one hand for a single. :blush I hope your left hand heals up nicely.

Edited by odin

thanks for the kind words odin. for the moment i can't really attempt heavy stuff on the TTK or grippers. but in time that will change i think.

yah that block is a bitch if you ask me!! but i like the dimensions on it cause it is around the thickness of 2 45's - which is what i would like to do one day - so a great way to train for it.

thanks for reading - stay strong!! :rock