It Was Fun

Rick Walker

In 1996 I competed in my first powerlifting meet and took second as a 165 pound 18 year old.

That was the start of what would be many powerlifting meets, equiped and raw, as well as a strongman contest.

As the years went by, I jumped up weight classes, 181, 198, 220, and 242. All of this time, I disregarded my health to focus on hitting a big squat and deadlift. Being the best. Being stronger than strong. As I put the weight on, I noticed small elevations in BP, resting heart rate, etc.

In 2000, I had surgery to implant a pacemaker. The cause was 2nd degree av block. The doctors believed I was born with it, and the symptoms hid themselves as I was very athletic. I was no longer athletic....I just lifted heavy.

I should have quit then, but I kept going, and put on more weight.

This afternoon I got a phone call from my mom. She has had a heart attack. She is 59 years old. She had a stress test today and from what they found they scheduled her to have a catherization Thursday. After that, the next step will be either stinting the clogged artery or arteries, or ballooning them.

This is yet another risk factor for me. Right now I am over weight, 232 at 5'9". Granted, no one in my family has EVER been an athlete, but I am still concerned.

My plan of attack is to get back on my bike. I am going to ride 6 days a week. I am going to ride and ride and ride until I can see my abs in a nice defined 6-pack. I will not miss a ride.

My lifting routine has been switched to an Olympic lifting routine. Those guys are in incredible shape, and every thing I read about weight lifting tells me how it gets you in awesome shape. I will still squat 2 times a week-I just wont go for huge weights that leave me with busted caps. in my eyes and bruises on my back.

I wil eat sensibly. Back on my diet-clean protiens and carbs, lots of fresh vegtables and fruits.

YES-I will continue to hit grip hard all the time. I will remain competitive in grip-and maybe some time enter some weightlifting comps. Right now I need to get into shape. I am 26 years old for God's sake!

This should be about health. About goig out and wrestling with your grand kids when you are 70. I enjoyed strength, but it aint worth my life.

I start a new chapter. 190 by June 1st 2004. 6-pack visable by August 2004.

Thanks guys-

Rick Walker :rock

I hear ya bro. I'm in the process of cutting weight to improve my health. The old timers had it right, strength and health have to go together, you can't cut one out to improve the other. Best of luck with your new training goals.

Very sorry to hear about your Mom. Hope she recovers and most importantly does not have another.

I'm sorry to hear about your mother. :( I hope her recovery goes well.

I look forward to seeing updates on your progress. Hopefully, the silver lining in this situation is the epiphany-like experience you've had in sensing your mortality & the importance of your long-term health balanced with athletic goals. :rock

Ye Gods, Rick. Best wishes and a speedy recovery to yer mam.

FWIW tested the old heart rate - it was 82 Friday. I did 20 mins of cardio today. I will keep that up..........

Sorry to hear about you Mom Rick. I wish her the best

and a speedy recovery. I been struggling here myself

with doing more of the cardio thing. I know I need it

but I hate losing strength. But its something I'm gonna

start doing also. Good luck with your new goals.

My prayers are with you and your mother. It sounds like you have reached some very sound decisions. I wish you success in your new goals. All of us are here to support you!

Rick Sorry to hear about your moms situation. And Im in the same boat as you as far as competition goes. After having a kid I would rather be around for a long time. God Bless buddy!

Austin

I wish the best to your mother Rick.

OL did very well for me. I went from 236lbs to 193 or so since last june.

I'm slimmer, healtier, a lot faster, more explosive, ...

I didn't lost strength except on the bench press, which I didn't work since last may. My squat, DL and classic lifts are going up while my BW is going down. I work my abs very hard and I feel better overall.

Feeling better overall is the greatest part of it.

Beware, you'll be hooked by OL. It's addictive.

I hope you have the best of luck with your newly revised fitness goals. I'd suggest obtaining two accessories to assist your pursuits, a skinfold caliper and a heartrate monitor. The first item can be obtained for less the $30 and should give you close enough measurements to allow you to track your progress. The second item might range in price from $50-$100 depending on all of the features.

Oly is great! I have always been a person who likes to move alot, so the switch from PL to oly is good for me. I find that not being fixed in one position is a great change of pace for anyone.

Best of Luck

-Dan

Hope you mom has a speedy recovery.

Sound like you're making some very responsible decisions. Health is more important.

-HH

I feel sorry for your mom.

Last year around march I weighed about 250lbs(5'11).

It took me 7 months ,but I was able to drop 70 lbs.

Presently I weigh 200lbs and able to use the same weight when I was 250lbs.

I feel lot healthier & quicker.

Hey Rick,

If you need any advice on training for weight loss or diet and stuff just send me a PM. I'm new to gripping but fitness training is my business and i've helped a number of people lose weight.

Good luck!

Rick, Sorry to hear about your mom, but the good news is it was found and treated. The alternative is much worse. My dad had a 99% blockage last year. He had a stint and is doing great. Fortunately, I was with him when he had the chest pains. The aspirin kept him alive until we got him to a hospital. Then my brother and sister both went in the hospital last year for an abnormal heart rhythm. It really scares a person, and got me seriously motivated to improve my health. One of my major goals was met last week: a normal blood pressure for the first time in 5 years, due to good drugs and Tae Kwon Do.

In short, there aren't any detractors for being in great physical condition.

Rick,

I'm praying for your Mom. It's gonna be great to hear the Volume Slut's adventures in cardio..... :rock

Edited by macronan

That's bad news about your mom Rick. I am sick of straining to tie my shoes so I am trying to watch what I shovel in my mouth right now as well.

Jon@han

Hope your mother gets better soon. I wish you the best for you new diet/training. Being light and having a good grip is nice too for BW feats ;)

Thanks for all the well wishes guys!

She is doing fine. Thursday they will do the cath, then most likely balloon or stint.

My biological father had a heart attack a couple years ago. He is the same age as my mother, however, he is 400 pounds of slobbering fat ass. His third wife left him while he was at work, emptied the bank accounts, and took everything-even the silver ware. He came home to that, and wham, had a heart attack. Again, he is a fat slob, who has not done any physical activity since he was a football player in high school.

Actually, I am really excited about this new program. I did squats, 1-arm snatches with a barbell, power snatches, and pull ups last night. Felt great. Jedd told me to stop thinking, so I stopped, and the power snatches went up like butter.

Also-the prospect of ding rafter pull-ups excites me. If I get under 200-I have a very good chance of adding a nother grip feat to my list :D

It is very warm today. The snow is melting-I can actually see a little spot of grass in my yard. It smells like spring outside. The birds are chirping. Soon, there will be grass to mow, a pool to play with the kids in, and lots of miles to grind under my wheels. 2004 will be the year I get ripped, pinch 2-45s, lift the Inch, and close a SE. :yikes:mosher

Life is oh so good.

Rick Walker

Rick,

First off, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, I almost lost my dad 3 years ago to 90 something percent blockage, narrowly avoided by a stint. The last 3 years of having him have been a treat I probably should not have had.

You are very wise for your years. Life is so much more than our lifting and our pride. I wish you the greatest success in this next facet of your training. I have no doubt that you will not only achive your desired results, you will conquer them as you have strength training.

On a lighter note, if you are as my perception leads me to believe, I can see you getting hooked on cardio and someday running a marathon or some other extended contest. Should this be the case, you'll certainly have the pride of being the strongest one to finnish! lol.

W

being strong and fast/light is a wonderful and healthy combination. get on that bike and keep training strength!! OL does sound like a good alternative.

your story has always inspired me, please keep doing that!!

glad to hear your mom is fine.

david.

ps: maybe you could start climbing?

I will ride a century on my bike-100 brutal miles of hills-hop off and waiting at the finish line will be:

1- RB 330

1- Inch DB

1- 50-pound Blob

2-45s

And I will do them all!

Has this ever been done?

How about closing a #3 while riding a bike? :laugh:laugh

Thanks again guys-