Feats With Hands 2004

David Ostlund

I think it would be too anecdotal to start messing with combinations. Cuz then where does a 5 3/4" Blue/White fall? Opens up a huge can of worms. My personal vote would be for Challenge Bars in nice little numerical order for anything beyond a Blue.

Good thought on the challenge bars! So would it move from uncut blue to challenge bars? Would there be any cutting at all?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bseedot

• SqeezeMasterFlash

• CMunger

• JeffPeterson

bseedot,

I have a home here in Hatboro, Pa. were I live and train most of the year, and a summer home in Ocean Gate, N.J. This past weekend I was down there and Toms River was froze over and few guys were ice sailing, and man they were book-in across the ice. Before ya ask, no I didn't go out and try it. The ice didn't look thick enough. I weigh #285. :D:D:D I'll try to get some pics and bring-em out when I come.

Good thought on the challenge bars! So would it move from uncut blue to challenge bars? Would there be any cutting at all?

Only between yellow and blue and the green/whites. I think the glitch in the scheme is what's all involved with Ironmind sponsorship agreements, although I would tend to think it wouldn't step on any toes to have c-bars filling the mix between blue and red.

I suppose the thing to do would be to see what David Horne has calibrated a Blue at, then see what the lowest challenge bars available are. A person may need to allow cut blues down to 5", then go to Challenge Bars beyond that.

All jsut thoughts/suggestions.

Dave O.- you're correct- no hooking on the ring lift.

As far as the rest of the suggestions, keep them coming. I'm not going to respond to every single point in these threads though. As you might guess, there are a lot of organizational aspects going on for this contest and I don't post every detail or possibility. Suffice it to say that I've already spoken with David about his Challenge Bars. Though nothing is set in stone, for now the events are what they are. I do not anticipate them to deviate much from the current lineup so you guys (gals, teens, and masters) have at least a foundation of exercises to start working on.

BC.

Jedd are you going to try to come to this one too?

Always willing. Most likely depends on what is going on with work. Too early to commit right now.

Also, the link that Jeff put up did not work. Could you try again, buddy?

-Jedd-

Edited by Jedd Johnson

I'll jump in Jedd. It appears that IM has configured their catalog site in a way that does not allow deep links, so there is not a good way to shortcut to the R-Ring.

If you go to the Store Directory page on the IM site and click on [specialized Grip Tools], then go to page 3. In the bottom right corner is the R-Ring.

Good thought on the challenge bars!  So would it move from uncut blue to challenge bars?  Would there be any cutting at all?

Only between yellow and blue and the green/whites. I think the glitch in the scheme is what's all involved with Ironmind sponsorship agreements, although I would tend to think it wouldn't step on any toes to have c-bars filling the mix between blue and red.

I suppose the thing to do would be to see what David Horne has calibrated a Blue at, then see what the lowest challenge bars available are. A person may need to allow cut blues down to 5", then go to Challenge Bars beyond that.

I think a good level of progression would be to use IM nails from white to 5" blue, then switch to a 6" Grade 5 as the next level. Use Grade 5's down to 5" then IM Red. Maybe throw Grade 8's in after the 5's. I really don't know about the 8's since I'm nowhere near them and haven't tried them. Maybe use a similar scheme to nails as on blobs. Such as: any Grade 5 bend beats any blue bend, any 8 bolt beats a 5 and any red beats an 8. So even if a 4" blue is far more difficult to bend than a 6" grade 5, it is in the competitors interest to go for the 5 bolt. It's the same as FW 40 lb blobs for 200 ft as opposed to a 1-hand 45lb blob lift. The FW for 200' is obviously harder, so any smart competitor would probably go for a 45 lb blob. This idea would keep the lengths between about 5"-7". What do you guys think?

Edited by David Ostlund

I think a good level of progression would be to use IM nails from white to 5" blue, then switch to a 6" Grade 5 as the next level. Use Grade 5's down to 5" then IM Red. Maybe throw Grade 8's in after the 5's. I really don't know about the 8's since I'm nowhere near them and haven't tried them. Maybe use a similar scheme to nails as on blobs. Such as: any Grade 5 bend beats any blue bend, any 8 bolt beats a 5 and any red beats an 8. So even if a 4" blue is far more difficult to bend than a 6" grade 5, it is in the competitors interest to go for the 5 bolt. It's the same as FW 40 lb blobs for 200 ft as opposed to a 1-hand 45lb blob lift. The FW for 200' is obviously harder, so any smart competitor would probably go for a 45 lb blob. This idea would keep the lengths between about 5"-7". What do you guys think?

That's probably a workable format as well if a guy couldn't get hands on c-bars. I will say I'm rather fond of the challenge bars, though. No hex ends on them poking you, etc. If you're training on Sat morning, I'll have them in my bag and you can check them out and bend one. I like that they fill the gaps between a Grade 5 and a Grade 8 (supposedly about 30% difference :yikes )

Short nails suck.

Amen. And you know what, I THINK I finally figured out why (besides the extra pokey-ness thing) There's no margin for error on the short ones. One a 6" bend if you're off center by a virtually invisible 1/4", no big deal. You're only losing (hypothetical figure grab) 5% of your leverage. On a 4" bend, that 1/4" is closer to 10%. 10% on top of the force needed to bend that 4" is friggin significant. 10% is the difference between a 212.5kg challenge bar and a 235kg one. It makes that 4" bend of Midget's all that more beautiful from a technical standpoint.

Jedd,

If that link didn't work just check out ironmind.com. The R-Ring is in the online store.

You can also get one from Warren. It's the same one they have at Weightlifter's Warehouse

Weightlifter's warehouse

Yeah if challange bars were somehow incorporated the bending aspect would be perfect. You'd have a nice range. i would pay a higher entry fee to help get them here too.

• 1 month later...

There will have to be a change of location for Feats With Hands 2004. Our NASS state chairman (the contest was to be held at his training facility) is moving out of state on May 1st of this year. It's likely that it will now be held where it was last year (in Minneapolis), but I'll update everyone when I have confirmation.

BC.

I don't think that much anything can stop Feats with Hands 2004

M2

• 1 month later...
There will have to be a change of location for Feats With Hands 2004. Our NASS state chairman (the contest was to be held at his training facility) is moving out of state on May 1st of this year. It's likely that it will now be held where it was last year (in Minneapolis), but I'll update everyone when I have confirmation.

BC.

Brian,

Since Feats won't be at Biodynamics will the other grip toys be at the contest. Of course the blobs will be there since they are an event, but I was wondering if the inch and millenium DB's will be there.

I will have my Inch dumbell there along with some other grip toys

M2

I am sure we can get Joel Sword to bring the Millenium

That's great. I don't have access to the inch/MDB's and it is fun to try such well known feats. I have been practicing for the Millenium so hopefully I can at least budge it!!

• 3 weeks later...

Any update on the location?

Sorry Jeff, no firm location yet. A couple of places are in the mix- just waiting to hear from them. If it has to, it will be at my home.

BC.

Just a reminder, guys, that if you want to ensure that you get the shirt size you want get your registrations in early. Otherwise I'm stuck guessing who will show up and what size you are. And I don't particularly fancy guessing mens' clothing sizes.

BC.

Oh allright, I'll get you the money. If we're hard pressed for a location my house is pretty cental in the cities and I have a pretty large back yard that's about half concrete and half grass. With some mats on the concrete I could probably talk my roommates into having the comp there.