Feats With Hands 2004

David Ostlund

Check out Ironmind. Date and preliminary events are up for BC's next grip contest. Aug 21st, Max gripper close, Max R-ring deadlift, max double overhand axle lift, max nail bending, and blob lift or farmers walk.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bseedot

• SqeezeMasterFlash

• CMunger

• JeffPeterson

The Blob event will work like this...

You'll have one minute to make your lift. I'll have various blob weights there (hopefully I'll have 2.5 pound increments by August, instead of the five pound increments I have now).

You can DL the blob weight of your choice with one hand, or you can two-hand DL two blobs of the same weight, or you can DL two blobs of the same weight and farmer's walk with them. Take the 50 Blob. Any distance of farmer's walk with 50s will beat any two hand DL with 50s. Any two hand DL will beat a single hand DL of the same weight.

Any successful attempt of a heavier blob will beat any successful attempt of a lighter blob. So, for example, a single hand DL with a 50 will beat even a 100 ft farmer's walk with 45s. (This is actually quite similar in structure to the nail bending, where any successful bend of a harder nail beats any successful attempt of a weaker nail, no matter how short it is cut.)

Since it is an all-or-nothing one attempt for this event you can regrip, drop them, curse, etc. as many times as you want in this event. You can try lighter or heavier blobs in your minute. Whatever is the best single lift you can do in one minute is what you'll get. If you immediately grab a 35 with ease try a 40. If you try a 40 and miss grab a 35. If it's within your minute I don't care.

There's no short way to explain it, but does that make sense? I'll be assembling a rules sheet for each event. If y'all want one I can eMail it to you.

BC.

August is wedding hell for me. I have three in August that I'm in/must attend but if I can pull it off count me in! Probably Todd too, he'll like that axle dead! We need more lifts like that.

Like Jeff B. said we should have a inch db farmers walk! :D

I like the events. I hope to see everyone there again. I wonder what weekend Tony Scrivens contest is.

Interesting choice of events. I'll have to go buy a ring handle and see what I'm capable of on that one.

Brian will each hand have to be used evenly like the last Feats With Hands? I think one hand should be able to be used on all events. Your choice though.

Edited by Matt Van Weele

bseedot,

Any thought about having two weight divisions for the open, under/over #200? Class divisions, teens, women, masters under/over 40? This would make the meet bigger have more winners. Also, you could run an ad in Powerliftg U.S.A. to get more contestants, lifters would come just to give it a go. Just a idea for ya to kick around.

Brian great event choices. That blob event will be a lot of fun, espescially if you have 2.5 increments.

I think this will be the biggest contest yet. Hopefully i can get the RB 210 by this point. Brian maybe you could handcuff yourself and the results together for this one?

Matt- Whatever hand you want to use is fine this year. You can even switch hands from attempt to attempt if you choose.

Chuckie- Unless you, or anyone, can provide me a compelling argument as to why separate weight classes should be used in a grip contest it's not going to happen. As far as Womens, Masters, and Teen classes, I'd be more than willing to have those, in fact I'd like them, but it all depends upon who registers. I'm not going to have, for example, a teen class if there are only two teens.

BC.

bseedot,

My only point to to have weight divisions in the open and class divisions was to make the competition have more winners. But your right, you, need enough people to register to make it work. In any case, I'm going to start training your preliminary events hard to make your meet my first grip competition. Hope to see ya in Aug. :rock

Sounds good Brian. I like the idea of being able to use either hand whenever you want.

Can somebody show me what an R-ring is?

-Jedd-

I see what you're saying Chuckie. I'm just unconvinced that bodyweight, in itself, is a significant factor in a well-rounded multi-event grip contest. If it's any consolation (pun intended), prizes have been awarded to the Top 5 overall competitors (rather than just the Top 3) in my past contests and this one will follow that format as well.

I hope to see you in August- you'll love the contest atmosphere! Where do you live?

BC.

Breaking in Dave's new ring tonight, have no idea what a good number is on this one. Does anybody know. Jedd are you going to try to come to this one too.

I'd was trying to figure out a good weight on the ring too. What did we do that day at Warren's? I want to say that we were in the neighborhood of 400??

BC.

Jeff P. may have been. I sure as hell wasn't, not without a hook grip anyway. Since this is a grip contest and I'm sure the hook won't be allowed I figured I better start training it the right way early. If I could get to 400 by August I would be very happy.

BC,

For nail bending will you allow for multiple nail bends (blue+white), or will it only be for length?

I don't know how you would determine the pecking order for say Blue+White vs. 4.5" Blue, etc. That's the biggest problem I see.

Chris,

I was thinking the same thing. It probably would not have occured to me at all but for the discussion on the bending forum about multiple bends. I was really looking to stimulate some discussion.

Dave O, felt that a blue white bend was tougher than his 5"blue. Granted this is one data point but we may be able to expand upon this to generate the answer. We know for example that there is a significant gap between even a 4" blue and the red. Terminator stated (paraphrase) that there is a relationship between shorter blues and the red but at a certain length the rules change and it is not a fair comparison.

If we analogize based on the other events, it would be possible. For example a Blob DL will trump even a 100' FW with a 47.5# blob.

I think it may be possible but the real question is whether or not BC is willing to go through the headache.

I think it would be too anecdotal to start messing with combinations. Cuz then where does a 5 3/4" Blue/White fall? Opens up a huge can of worms. My personal vote would be for Challenge Bars in nice little numerical order for anything beyond a Blue.

I did 370 at Warrens and about a month later me and Tony worked up too 415 on the ring that Warren makes.