Austin Slater

austinslater

Ive finally decided to start a grip log. My goals for 2004 are:

1. close my rb300 and in the process cert on mm1 and mm2

2. 2-45's pinch. Might be out of reach but ill die trying.

3. develope all around grip strength so I will throw in some bending, thick bar etc.

Feel free to post in my log with questions and/or advice as I can always use it.

Austin :rock

Sounds great, Austin! I'm very interested to see how you mix all these things together!

These training logs are a great way to bring accountability to your training. I look forward to reading about your progress. :mosher

Keep grippin!

Cool Austin. Good luck with the 45's.

2/5 thursday

Crush:

t,1,2,3,elitex1

couple of attempts with rob v elite.

5 overcrushes w/ #3

Pinch:

2-25's, 2-35's broke off of ground but didnt get to full deadlift

2-25'sx25,20 sec.

Light levering

Took it easy today. My hands are pretty beat up from overdoing the bending so I will rest till monday. This was also my first time training pinch so hopefully it will climb fast. I will stick to timed holds on the advice of Clayton with a goal of 1 min with the 25's. I also got a new #3 that is a beast. harder then my easy elite. For the next couple of months I will focus on crush and pinch. I will try to bend 1xwk. Last wk was the first time i tried bending and got a yellow. Im mainly writing my log online since Im too lazy to write it on paper.

Here is something im going to add to my routine. Slow progression bending. As I stated in my first post my main goals are crush/pinch. Last wk I bent for the first time and did a yellow, easier 60d's. My hands feel beat up from the 4xwk bending so here is my plan. I will bend 1xwk and start with a yellow and take off 1/8" of an inch each week and follow this with some timbers for technique. this submaximal bending wont hurt my crush and will allow my tendons/ligaments to get accustomed to bending. So the first couple of months will be easy. my goal will be a 5"x1/4" which would take me 4 months. Im pretty sure I can bend a blue so i wont be at my max for 2 months. I will also do some light levers on my other workouts. So for the next 4 months crush/pinch specialization and getting the wrists ready for bending. Should be fun and interesting to look back and see if I stuck to the original plan. this is nothing new and Bender talks about it on his site. hold me to it! :laugh Ive been trying to find away to do some bending while working towards the mm cert's, so we will see if this works.

Austin,

Good to see you putting a log out!

I don't have the attention span for a time holds longer then 10 seconds, so when I want to work on longer times I do rows or just try to swing the plates around. Give that a try if the timed holds don't suit you.

Jon@han

Sat 2/7

crush:

t,1,2,3 for a couple of singles

Bending:

white, green, tt, tt, yellow

pinch:

Passed a 2-25's back and forth for a min or so.

I wasnt planning on working out but closed the 3 to show some guys and decided I might as well bend also. So as planned ill cut 1/8" off for next wk. the 25's were wide also at 4"+ . real easy workout overall so I should be well rested for next.

2/9 mon

crush:

t,1,2,3x1

hard elitex7 cheat closes

#3x1 overcrush

pinch:

ttkx15,3,3,3,25 just getting a feel of it

messed around with 4-11's plate pinch and 35 blob

Pretty quick workout. just wanted to get some crush and pinch work in.

2/11

Crush:

t,1,2,3x1

Rob V. Elitex7 Cheat closes, hard #3x2 cheat closes when I got tired

TTK pryamid up to about 20 lbs for 5 sec holds, 7.5 lbsx 1 min

That was it. For some reason my from my knuckle running down the back of my hand on my index finger is giving me some trouble. It doesnt hurt untill I let off of the neg so Im not sure what it is. I will switch to increasingly high volume with my #3 building up each workout and if it still hurts I will take a wk off. It doesnt seem to give me problems untill im using bigger grippers. Not sure if its from bending or what. I need to lay off the cheat closes for now.

Cheat Close: taking a gripper im close with and after closing as far as possible I force it closed and hold for 5-7 sec.

2/13 friday

crush:

t,1,2x1

filed #3x2 singles

mm2x6 negs/superholds

filed #3x 2 negs superholds

cut #2x2 overcrushes

The mm2 is a replica of the mashmonster level 2 elite. Jeff said this one is probably alittle tougher then the real mm2

the cut #2 isnt filed but has almost 1/2" cut off each handle and is about a 2.8.

superholds are nothing more then forcing it in and out for about 15 secs.

pinch:

played with 2-25's and some pony clamp work.

bending:

warmed up with timbers and the pain in my hand came back so i wont be bending for awhile atleast untill the mm1 process is over.

Not a bad workout. I filed the #3 right before the workout and it was tough. I might go one more wk with the negs and then I will switch to the 10 overcrushes that Rick and smitty are doing. not a bad wk overall.

Austin, what would you rate your MM2 at - about a 3.5-3.6?

Great log. Keep up the good work!

Austin, I am just curious, do you know what the wire size is on your MM2? Is it close to a BBSE (older ones?)? Great log by the way, keep up the good work. Mike

I'm not Austin, but I know the wire size is .295.

Mike it isnt that close to a superelite atleast the ones ive had. I wasnt scheduled to workout but did anyways with some gripper work

Sat 2/14

Crush:

t,1,2x1

filed #3 4 singles and forced back in a few times when it opened up

short handled #2xovercrush

That was it, off till next wk. Things are going pretty good.

2/16 Mon

crush:

t,1,2x1

filed #3, elite, filed #3x1

elite in chokerx3 singles. Last one held for 15 sec closed!

Filed #3 in chokerx1

Some no set work with #2

pony clamp 7x3

Was supposed to take it easy today but was having fun with the choker. First time it felt comfortable. Im suprised by my 15 sec hold with my elite. Not sure if the choker works or not but it was tough closing my 2 when I was done. need to get in shape for the mm1 cert. Im down alittle but hopefully it comes back soon. My filed #3 attempts without the choker were real close. I probably filed too much but it still serves its purpose of hitting the beyond the range work.

Edited by austinslater

Wed 2/18

Crush:

t,1,2,3x1

Elitexchoker, #3xno set

Alternated these for 3-4 each

Then a couple of forced closed with my hardest #3, I was burned out!

#2x33 short stroke reps. Just getting a pump.

Pony Clamp 7x3

Thats it. Off till friday or Saturday depending on how I feel.

2/19 thurs

Crush:

about 10 singles with a new filed 280hd.

Wasnt scheduled to workout but got this in the mail from Rob V. and had to mess with it. The spring is burried. Great gripper. Maybe a 2.8 or so?

I wont be posting in this thread for about 8 wks. Gonna try a specific program. :whistel

I will post some progress updates. Im gonna give daily training another run. So we will see what happens.

2/21

Crush:

t,1,2x1

filed 280hd 3x5 full reps.

silver #3xmiss

#2x10 full reps

I had to miss work and I feel horrible as something is going around. Im going to wait a wk to start kta and by then should be over whatever Ive got. I was weak today. I just got the silver 3 back from heath and could rep it before, Im hoping its becuase Im sick. Today was just a quick 5 min workout and I will try to get 4 workouts in this week before starting kta. Goal Gripper=mm2 replica I got from Jeff P.

Austin