Road to Coc #3 certification

CruxGripman

Just started training grippers this year, Jan 10th. Having been an athlete most my life consistency won’t be an issue here. I’m in no rush to get certified, I just enjoy training and pushing hard and need a goal to aim at so I don’t feel aimless.

i am trying to focus more on training my ccs as that seems to be my weakness (maybe that’s the case for most)

figured I’d document my journey here for fun and maybe get some tips from you guys along the way.

My best close so far is a parallel set double with a Standard Iron RGC 134

(Was planning on posting the RGC 134 double video but wouldn’t upload)

Training tomorrow, hoping to ccs close the coc #2.5 RGC 123 with any luck

• Like 9

2 hours ago, CruxGripman said:

My best close so far is a parallel set double with a Standard Iron RGC 134

Not a bad starting point, for sure!

2 hours ago, CruxGripman said:

Training tomorrow, hoping to ccs close the coc #2.5 RGC 123 with any luck

You'll get it soon!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Way cool. You are well on your way

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Unfortunately missed the coc 2.5 123 RGC ccs today.

Its a new gripper, previous to this I’d been trying to ccs close a standard platinum filed rated 128 RGC

i feel like the 128 filed feels quite a bit easier then the 123 unfiled… weird

but I’ve been able to consistently close my Standard Iron 137 for parallel singles so that feels pretty good

ive got a 141 on the way so I’m pretty stoked to give that thing a go when it arrives since closing the 137 feels so solid

Edited by CruxGripman
Typos
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, CruxGripman said:

feel like the 128 filed feels quite a bit easier then the 123 unfiled… weird

Since filing does not influence the sweep/set, that gripper should "feel like" a 119-120 gripper until the normal range. 

+ Personally I'm better at Standard grippers than CoCs because the knurling is superior. 

Great work btw, keep up the strong work

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CruxGripman said:

Its a new gripper, previous to this I’d been trying to ccs close a standard platinum filed rated 128 RGC

but I’ve been able to consistently close my Standard Iron 137 for parallel singles so that feels pretty good

ive got a 141 on the way so I’m pretty stoked to give that thing a go when it arrives since closing the 137 feels so solid

You're probably just better in the deeper filed position. A platinum filed to 128 is still going to have the original spread of whatever it originally was, probably around 120, so it makes sense that you feeling the spread of about 120 feels easier than an actual spread of 123. Filing just adds more deeper spread, but doesn't affect the original sweep. If you're also doing CCS on a filed gripper there's the 2 options to place the card where the handle would be if it was there (making the CCS card width + file width) or to only place the card so it touches the filed part, in which you're not actually starting in as open-handed position as a regular CCS would be, even though you're moving the handles CCS distance to a deeper position.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, matek said:

Since filing does not influence the sweep/set, that gripper should "feel like" a 119-120 gripper until the normal range. 

+ Personally I'm better at Standard grippers than CoCs because the knurling is superior. 

Great work btw, keep up the strong work

Ahh okay, I didn’t think about that, the gripper originally being a 120, makes sense now as to why it feels so much easier.

I absolutely agree about the knurling also, the ironmind handle sometimes slips back at the base of my thumb, and I feel like I lose position

Edited by CruxGripman
Typos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, C8Myotome said:

You're probably just better in the deeper filed position. A platinum filed to 128 is still going to have the original spread of whatever it originally was, probably around 120, so it makes sense that you feeling the spread of about 120 feels easier than an actual spread of 123. Filing just adds more deeper spread, but doesn't affect the original sweep. If you're also doing CCS on a filed gripper there's the 2 options to place the card where the handle would be if it was there (making the CCS card width + file width) or to only place the card so it touches the filed part, in which you're not actually starting in as open-handed position as a regular CCS would be, even though you're moving the handles CCS distance to a deeper position.

In regards to the ccs with the filed gripper, I’ve been placing the card higher up inside the handles, I know it’s not exact, but I definitely don’t wanna give myself an advantage by closing a narrower spread, feel like I’m cheating or something lol 

Now realizing the 128 filed was a 120 not filed makes me feel like I need another gripper to fill the gap 

• Like 4

Great session today!

coc 2.5 RGC 123 (ccs) - closed!

Standard iron RGC 141 (parallel) - RH closed!

Felt like I had the strength to close the 141 with the left hand but had a awkward feeling set up.

• Like 10

I do a decent amount of other grip and forearm work, but priority effort goes to the grippers, I finish with some back 2 accessories and some pony pinch work.

several times a week I’ll train forearm flexion and extension work at the gym after lifting and most days I enjoy doing arm wrestling style riser and pronator work with weights on a jiujitsu belt

• Like 2

Awesome stuff, man! Killer physique too.

That's exactly how I do my credit card setting as well, sliding the card up from the bottom precisely like that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A bit of a rough one today

Good news is closing the 123 ccs single felt better today

Bad news is all my heavier parallel sets didn’t feel as good as they normally do, may have got a bit over zealous and set a bit wider then normal 😅

I train grippers Tuesday and Saturday, I always feel way better on Saturdays with the extra days rest.

Been having a hard time with the cameras focus, can’t seem to keep the focus clear throughout the close, thankfully I have a long while before certification to figure that out and practice clear filming and finding the right angle to show the close process

• Like 4

On 4/9/2024 at 7:16 AM, CruxGripman said:

Depends on how you're closing it. If you don't take into account for the removed material on the handle and just swiping your block/card like you normally would do, you're not doing it correctly and you're actually using a more narrow set. So let's say you have removed 7 mm of material you need to set it 7 mm wider to avoid this.

Posted (edited)

I seem to be plateauing, was unable to make any of my top set closes today, all RGCs Ive closed before. Had ample rest past 4 days so not sure if I’m not getting enough stimulus or not getting enough rest. 

will have to play with things and see what the best move is from here

Edited by CruxGripman
Typos
  • Like 1

Nothing new, just staying consistent 

SG copper filed RGC 116 ccs x3

coc 2.5 RGC 123 ccs x1

SG iron RGC 141 parallel x1

SG Platinum filed RGC 128 parallel x2

Finished my session off with the pony pinch and some pinky pad work with a light resistance band

everytime I look at my collection I get the itch to to buy more 😅 staying disciplined to train is easy, staying disciplined to not splurge, not so much

• Like 8