Captains of Crush No. 4 Closers List

Jared P

Felt like this should be its own topic. If you have any information, videos, or witness testimony to add anyone's name to the list, please share. Any unassisted close counts (no leg set or choker used).

Confirmed on video, at competition, or with witness testimony: 34 people

Aaron Corcorran
Andrew Durniat
Benny Wennberg
Carl Myerscough
Cesare Ricchezza
Clay Edgin
Dave Morton
David Shamey
Gabriel Sum
'Hand Water'
Heath Sexton
Ioan Cristian Puscasu
Ivan Cuk
Jonathan D. Vogt
Josh Dale
Juha Harju
Magnus Samuelsson
Martin Arildsson-Wahlström
Nathan Holle
Nikita Yurkovets
Paul Knight
Paul Savage
Patrick Gansel
Rob Vigeant Jr.
Sergey Daragan
Sergey Sankov
Simon Mahalsky
Sl-Ghi Choi
Steve Gardener
Steve McGranahan
Tim Struse
Tommy Heslep
Vano Sukhashvili
Youichi Okazaki

Rumored, further verification needed: 3 people

Gabriele Ferdinandi
Igor Kupinsky
Wes Peart

Filmed on video, but legitimacy significantly questioned, further verification needed: 1 person

Joe Kinney [source]

Edited by Jared P
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

There was a video of Patrick Gansel closing a #4 in his bathroom. I think it was on the old cyberpump server and has not survived. But I will see if I can dig that up. It is a classic video. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Cannon said:

There was a video of Patrick Gansel closing a #4 in his bathroom. I think it was on the old cyberpump server and has not survived. But I will see if I can dig that up. It is a classic video. 

Never heard about Patrick and the Number 4, but I never saw a Number 3 close of anyone come close to the speed and ease of his Number 3 close. It was like a lizard gulping a fly. In June, 2005, at AOBS, I remember Flo talking about it, and Jedd saying “Patrick? Who is Patrick?”

He seemed very shy as I recall.

11 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

Never heard about Patrick and the Number 4, but I never saw a Number 3 close of anyone come close to the speed and ease of his Number 3 close. It was like a lizard gulping a fly. In June, 2005, at AOBS, I remember Flo talking about it, and Jedd saying “Patrick? Who is Patrick?”

He seemed very shy as I recall.

should see my #3 close (its rated at 133)

On 3/30/2024 at 3:15 AM, Cannon said:

Yup mentioned him in the topic along with David "Gorilla Hands". I hope @Clay Edgin can confirm if he saw him closing a #4. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

Yup mentioned him in the topic along with David "Gorilla Hands". I hope @Clay Edgin can confirm if he saw him closing a #4. 

I found multiple links to the video, which seems to have actually been posted at the GripBoard image gallery, but he must have deleted the original. None of the links work. 

16 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I found multiple links to the video, which seems to have actually been posted at the GripBoard image gallery, but he must have deleted the original. None of the links work. 

Did you try the web archives using those links? 

1 minute ago, Alawadhi said:

Did you try the web archives using those links? 

Ooo, good idea

• Like 1

On 3/29/2024 at 5:50 PM, Jared P said:

Rumored, further verification needed: 6 people

Clay Edgin

I did find this video reported to be Clay:

• Like 4

It’s truly amazing the uses people found for potatoes back then. 

On 3/29/2024 at 6:15 PM, Cannon said:

Okay, the video is still there but is now an unsupported format. I am trying to find/download the file in order to recover. You can see people's reactions that they felt like they watched a #4 close. Never mind those of us who just remember the video, and the other references to this video or Patrick around the board. 

Otherwise, this is Patrick's youtube where there are a few other pretty nasty gripper vids. 

https://www.youtube.com/@patrick4455

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cannon said:

I did find this video reported to be Clay:

Looks good. Clay commented below the video as well.

9 hours ago, matek said:

Patrick Gansel

Here you go guys

https://imgur.com/a/FFEopvC

Will add Clay and Patrick to the list, as well as the Heaviest closes list. Have some more updates to do on that this weekend.

12 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

I guess his name is David Erives, if that video can be found.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2024 at 7:50 AM, Jared P said:

Felt like this should be its own topic. If you have any information, videos, or witness testimony to add anyone's name to the list, please share. Any unassisted close counts (no leg set or choker used).

Confirmed on video, at competition, or with witness testimony: 29 people

Aaron Corcorran
Andrew Durniat
Carl Myerscough
Cesare Ricchezza
Clay Edgin
Dave Morton
David Shamey
Gabriel Sum
Heath Sexton
Ivan Cuk
Jonathan D. Vogt
Josh Dale
Juha Harju
Magnus Samuelsson
Martin Arildsson-Wahlström
Nathan Holle
Nikita Yurkovets
Paul Knight
Paul Savage
Patrick Gansel
Rob Vigeant Jr.
Sergey Daragan
Sergey Sankov
Simon Mahalsky
Steve Gardener
Steve McGranahan
Tim Struse
Tommy Heslep
Youichi Okazaki

Rumored, further verification needed: 5 people

Gabriele Ferdinandi
Igor Kupinsky
Ioan Cristian Puscasu
Sl-Ghi Choi
Wes Peart

Filmed on video, but legitimacy significantly questioned, further verification needed: 2 people

Joe Kinney [source]
Panagiotis Kalamidas [source, topic]

Currently, Sl-Ghi Choi's video cannot be viewed as private, but indirectly, you can check the coc4 closing video

46 minutes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi! You should add Vano to the list

Edited by Abrikos337
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Seoyoon said:

Currently, Sl-Ghi Choi's video cannot be viewed as private, but indirectly, you can check the coc4 closing video

Ioan Cristian Puscasu's deep set 4 close is in there as well! Great find, thank you for the video Seoyoon. Ioan's two CoC 4 CCS attempts were both 1-5 millimeters away as well. He looked absolutely monstrous in those videos.

Will add Sl-Ghi Choi and Ioan Cristian Puscasu.

8 hours ago, Abrikos337 said:

Hi! You should add Vano to the list

Thanks, great MMS close of 196 rgc CoC 4 from Vano!

• Like 3

Random interesting stats for no reason:

Who's Who Captains of Crush 3, 3.5, and 4:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13Zj7ZS6LF_Gkr-ElTg0EdxARkhd3GXZnaS8mX34w50Q/edit#gid=0

Certified on CoC 3: 304 people
In last 10 years: 64 people (21%)

Certified on CoC 3.5: 21 people
In last 10 years: 9 people (43%)

Certified on CoC 4: 6 people
In last 10 years: 1 person (16%)

Kind of interesting that 75% (228) of all CoC 3 certifications happened in years 1998-2014 (17 years). 12 people prior to that from 1991-1997 (7 years, 4%). 64 people after that so far from 2015-2024 (10 years, 21%).

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Jared P said:

Random interesting stats for no reason:

Who's Who Captains of Crush 3, 3.5, and 4:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13Zj7ZS6LF_Gkr-ElTg0EdxARkhd3GXZnaS8mX34w50Q/edit#gid=0

Certified on CoC 3: 304 people
In last 10 years: 64 people (21%)

Certified on CoC 3.5: 21 people
In last 10 years: 9 people (43%)

Certified on CoC 4: 6 people
In last 10 years: 1 person (16%)

Kind of interesting that 75% (228) of all CoC 3 certifications happened in years 1998-2014 (17 years). 12 people prior to that from 1991-1997 (7 years, 4%). 64 people after that so far from 2015-2024 (10 years, 21%).

How many 3 certs before vs after rule change?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C8Myotome said:

How many 3 certs before vs after rule change?

Chad Woodall was the first to certify under the new rule in April of 2004. [source]

Before rule change: 148 people
After rule change: 156 people

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Jared P said:

Chad Woodall was the first to certify under the new rule in April of 2004. [source]

Interesting statistics. Old rules were roughly 12 years vs 20 years. 
Is this counting those who recerted? Not that there were many…I can only remember 2; Richard, and Ben Edward’s. 

18 hours ago, Jared P said:

Which rule change? 

I really thought Tex Henderson was the first under current rules, meaning credit card set AND new gripper out of the package.

The new gripper rule came later so there would also be a first person for the credit card change.  

Edited by Cannon
had the rules reversed, fixed
  • Like 1

Tex Henderson: Certifies on the No. 3 Captains of Crush Gripper and Makes History

From the article:

Earlier this year, in response to increased stories about guys shopping around for the easiest old No. 3 they could find or cooking the spring, IronMind® presented a challenge to everyone who requested certification on the No. 3: We would send a brand new No. 3 Captains of Crush® Gripper directly to their referee and it would be opened on the spot for them to use for their official effort. This, of course, would eliminate any future attacks on the legitimacy of the person's accomplishment and it is parallel to what IronMind® has always done with its Red Nail™ certification, for exactly the same reasons.

• Like 2