Captains of Crush No. 4 Closers List

Jared P

18 hours ago, Jared P said:

Chad Woodall was the first to certify under the new rule in April of 2004. [source]

Now I see your source, good find. So Chad was first for the credit card but would have been allowed to use his own gripper. Same with everyone else through Tex Henderson; CCS with their own gripper. Then Tex was the first for current rules. :) 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, C8Myotome said:

I didn't even realize people were allowed to cert on their own gripper at one point

Friends would even send each other their grippers (especially ones on the lighter side) so they could all cert.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bruce1337 said:

Friends would even send each other their grippers (especially ones on the lighter side) so they could all cert.

It's crazy when you think about how big a difference in strength is required to close your friends high 130s #3 from a parallel set compared to pulling a 155+ #3 out of the package for a CCS. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, C8Myotome said:

I didn't even realize people were allowed to cert on their own gripper at one point

I think according to Jared's number crunching, more people have still certified on their own gripper than otherwise. Moving the goal post from Chad to Tex, these numbers become:

Before new gripper rule change: 165 people
After new gripper rule change: 129 people

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

It's crazy when you think about how big a difference in strength is required to close your friends high 130s #3 from a parallel set compared to pulling a 155+ #3 out of the package for a CCS. 

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

I think according to Jared's number crunching, more people have still certified on their own gripper than otherwise. Moving the goal post from Chad to Tex, these numbers become:

Before new gripper rule change: 165 people
After new gripper rule change: 129 people

Yeah, I hadn't really connected why fewer people have certified on the 3 in later years, but this seems to be the best explanation.

A major difference in difficulty.

• Like 1

Found another CoC 4 close, from a YouTube channel called ハンドウォーター which translates to "Hand Water", apparently. Haven't been able to find the guy's real name anywhere. He usually does leg sets, but this one is a legit parallel set. Super strong.

He can also do 5 wide set reps with a CoC 3.5, and 6 TNS reps with a CoC 3.

On 4/1/2024 at 7:46 AM, Alawadhi said:

Yup mentioned him in the topic along with David "Gorilla Hands". I hope @Clay Edgin can confirm if he saw him closing a #4. 

TBH it's been so long I can't remember if I've seen him close it. I know when I've trained with him a couple times he was having off days but the spread was definitely under 1/4". I can't corroborate a close. Based on what else I've seen him do with grippers, I can believe it. Maybe someone else can confirm. Is @porkbone still alive and out in the world?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 4/5/2024 at 1:21 AM, Jared P said:

Random interesting stats for no reason:

Who's Who Captains of Crush 3, 3.5, and 4:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13Zj7ZS6LF_Gkr-ElTg0EdxARkhd3GXZnaS8mX34w50Q/edit#gid=0

Certified on CoC 3: 304 people
In last 10 years: 64 people (21%)

Certified on CoC 3.5: 21 people
In last 10 years: 9 people (43%)

Certified on CoC 4: 6 people
In last 10 years: 1 person (16%)

Kind of interesting that 75% (228) of all CoC 3 certifications happened in years 1998-2014 (17 years). 12 people prior to that from 1991-1997 (7 years, 4%). 64 people after that so far from 2015-2024 (10 years, 21%).

I long to be on that #3 list 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2024 at 10:54 PM, bruce1337 said:

That’s pretty wild, although I am very new, ccs closing something in the 130s feels to in reach to be considered special (for a certification). Where something in the 150s feels pretty out of reach for most 

On 4/1/2024 at 10:06 AM, matek said:

Here you go guys

https://imgur.com/a/FFEopvC

Thanks for that!

I remember a few videos from Patrick Gansel. He had a "hydraulic" #3 close, very slow. Also an RB330 closed very easily. Plus his ring-pinky #3 attempts were crazy. But one that also stuck on my mind was a video of him doing a wrist curl... I'm not sure if it was 285# or that, but I remember that video being super impressive. Josh Dale also expressed to me how awesome he found that video to be. It seemed Patrick was a shy guy but some members did meet him in real life if I remember correctly. Maybe Ben Edwards was one of them.

• Like 2