FoA’s Bending, Feat’ing & More

featsofalex

Thanks John! A couple misses but definitely outweighed by the great successes!!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, featsofalex said:

Thanks John! A couple misses but definitely outweighed by the great successes!!!

image.gif.0a8df7b2ce1820d05b7a11c5bf3d4c8e.gif

• Haha 3

Push Day

Kicked it off with bench, worked up to 275x3, 315x2 and 325 2x5 to a 4 board.

Then took the workout outside and did some untracked clean and press work with 32kf and 48kg kbs, with the hope they were feeling good enough to go for double 48kg clean and press. But alas they weren’t so it’ll allude me a little longer, it’s only been 12 years so any day now😂

Then I did behind the next presses with 150 pounds for sets of 5/3/3. And 140 pound log viper presses for 3x5.

Then wrapped it up with 30 reps of light Viking press and re-wrapped it up with 50 swings of 9kg meel. 

IMG_9729.png

IMG_9730.jpeg

IMG_9731.jpeg

• Like 4

Volume Bending Day (yesterday)

Bends themselves were straightforward, 4 Bastards and 4 shinys. More importantly than the bends themselves, I did two of each on video call with Derek and got some technique coaching and a programming plan for the 6.5” Horrido 10.9 cert!!! 

9946BEA9-23C4-42A7-8CA1-A2CC01D93F9E.jpeg

• Like 4

Way cool

• Thanks 1

Pull Squat Grip Steel Shred Day (was yesterday, and again with consolidating workouts on Friday😬)

Strange workout that makes no sense in a vacuum but largely hit everything that had to be hit when I could do it!

Paid lip service to warmups then 3 sets of 5 per side 32kg kb squats in rack position. 

Then it was onto my final attempt for Steel Shredder 12 which ends today! Four painted red nails was the attempt, but alas they didn’t move and the after pic looked the same as the before pic😂. Thigh crush only is a style I have little experience with and not much innate skill at, so that’s not exactly a  winning combination but earlier in the contest I still managed 3 red painted nails in a nice time. There were also white painted nails that were easier but when I tried 4 at once early in the contest it failed and by the end of the contest when I had more experience I didn’t have enough white nails left so the four red attempt was the only option even if it was somewhat of a hero attempt. But I still had to go for it, sometimes the hero attempt makes you a hero!!! Just not this time😂

Then it was wagon wheel deadlifts supersetted with stone trainer RDLs. Worked up to around 420 pounds and green and red band which also translated to 5 or 6 sets on stone trainer. 

Next up was assorted lifts with assorted crushers. I had the 2.25” on a short pin and was switching between 2.5” and 2.75” on normal pin. There was 50kg in plates on short pin and 40kg in plates on normal pin and it was just untracked mayhem of lifts, rows, and holds. 

Workout largely went full circle as I wrapped it up with bottoms up 24kg kb squats. Usually it was in 3s but managed to nail an unbroken set of 5/side with a smooth transfer!!!

If you’re interested in a coherent well structured workout such as this, sign up now only 3 spots left🤣🤣🤣

IMG_9765.jpeg

IMG_9752.jpeg

• Like 3

That's a killer workout.

I like the little one just chillin in the background🤣

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

That's a killer workout.

I like the little one just chillin in the background🤣

Ha, yeah he’s a master at baby yoga!!!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Heavy and Almost Volume Bending Day

This was the big setup session for Horrido 6.5” 10.9 cert attempt next Monday, so of course there was a million obstacles, including hardass steel😂

Warmups maybe lacked some pop but nothing to get in a fit over then it was onto 2-3 170mm R O-1 bends and 2-3 170mm Edgins. First R bend went smooth enough although not the smoke show of last weeks somewhat shorter R. But then parent ESP or something must’ve gone off and I went full rush just to the next R, just re-sliding the wraps from the previous bend and taking no rest (at the time I was justifying it that I’ll need to be ready for 5 straight hard minutes against the 6.5” 10.9) … and alas despite the bend going fine enough I was starting to get slowed down by the crush et voilà off goes the baby monitor. I stretched the kiddo a bit, but it was too tough a spot to be able to get it finished before getting him. After a little rest to fetch him, I relocated to the basement gym(I typically bend in the garage) and tried like hell to get that R moving again and finished off. It was a long slow process but eventually the last two cm gave way and I was able to complete the bend and call it the isometrics for the session as well 🤣🤣🤣

After fighting that battle I didn’t fret about leaving it at 2 R’s and moving onto the 170mm Edgins. I don’t have clamps in the basement gym so I foot rolled three cut Edgins in a row!!! First one felt like air after the R crush, but the by the third one I was getting pretty worn out and got it quite off center, but I had flashbacks to the R crush and in an effort to avoid a repeat I just overpowered the little guy and got it done (if it got properly stuck I’m not sure I had another war in me)😅😅😅.

Next up (and last up since I counted the second R as an iso finale as well) was barehand 7” C drill rod. But I was unable to muster any power and only had a bit of wobble after two hits so threw on 1/3 imps and took it down while trying to emulate my barehand style.

That was a steel bending session!!!!!!!

IMG_9797.jpeg

Edited by featsofalex
  • Like 6

Amazing power brother!!! 

You should mention the wraps you use. I try to for my sessions but I'm not gonna lie I forget to. 

• Like 1

Thanks man! I don’t really have wrap ADD, it’s always leather over cordura except for easiest warmups and when I say otherwise. 

• Like 1

Push Day

Got off to a rocky start but finished nice and strong!!!

Started with a Bench AMRAP at 225 for an IG contest being run by Jimmy Kolb. Every year during the NFL combine I do a 225 AMRAP pretending I’m there, so it’s nice to get to do an official one!!! I was feeling strong on the warmups but sadly under-executed and got 16 reps despite benching pretty consistently lately. Was hoping for low 20s or at least 18 to tie last combine😂 I didn’t submit it yet, and will retry next week and hopefully make 16 seem puny!!!

Next up was a barbell kneeling press and kettlebell z press superset. 155x3 bar and 70x2 kb per set. These went great and knew I was right about being strong despite the bench result. So time let out the leash a bit and go for some cool lifts 🤣🤣🤣

Started with a kneeling bent press using a 110 pound circus dumbbell with massive 12” globes. I’ve done it standing before but never went for it kneeling til today, and it was one of my cooler looking lifts in a while!!! Only succeeded righty as lefty I wasn’t able to muscle that big boy into a nice starting position. I actually think my left handed bent press is more aesthetic but doesn’t mean much if you can’t get the weight into position to begin with🤣 still, getting it right handed was mega cool!

And for the grand finale, a lift that’s evaded me for a long time, the double 45kg Holle Inch dumbbells incline press!!! I’ve never been able to kick them into position before but finally managed it and then was so surprised I forgot I had to press them still haha so botched the first press and recovered for a double. Then I came back and kicked them up and hit a proper set of 5 and quit a winner!!!

IMG_9832.jpeg

IMG_9831.jpeg

• Like 2

Pull Day (yesterday)

Kept it pretty chill partly since I didn’t want any deadlift recovery issues for Monday and partly because I spent my workout time cutting and grinding steel😂

Started with a superset of pull-ups and stiff leg deadlifts with 203 lb kettlebell. Three rounds of 5 reps each. 

Then came inside and did meek swings, 50 reps normal and then two sets of 20 with my pinkies off the end. 

Last was a set of 12 each side with a 95 pound barbell row and that was all she wrote.

Not a lot of weights lifted, but a lot of steel cut and grinded. I made an O-1 drill rod 7” barehand progression from C-K and cut thr bars for today and Mondays sessions plus a few random cuts I’d been meaning to get to!

IMG_9845.jpeg

• Like 4

Volume Bending Day

4 170mm bastards and 4 170mm shinys

Pretty much all the exact same 6 hit cadence except maybe a couple shinys needed one more final crush hit. Had a kiddo with me so worked through them fast and needed no re-wraps, just pulled one side and finished with a crush pad on that side. The last shiny, I did strip the outer wraps to practice a wrap around gripper crush, but despite getting a little more used to it lately I don’t think it’s ready to use in an important situation yet. But I’ll keep trying to get it added as a tool to try crush arsenal!

Also started sorting the Da Vinci Batch challenge bars for everyone who earned them in ACE, they should be hitting the streets next week!!!

IMG_9855.jpeg

IMG_9854.jpeg

• Like 1

Squat and Grip

Started off with grippers. I ordered the current full line on Robert Baraban grippers directly from Austria and just got them back rated from Matt, so it was time to play!!! I worked up to the RB 260 rated 144 for a parallel set but then missed everything after that (harder sets and higher rgc’s). The grippers are pretty sick and there’ll be plenty of fun to be had with them!!!

Then squats, did a bit of kb squats with a 32 kg in rack position and then switched to my 176 pound sandbag! I wasn’t sure how it would go, but went well and for my best set I was able to do three reps on my left shoulder, switch shoulders and do three reps on my right shoulder. And that was pretty much it for today. 

I also cut some new double leather wraps for me to break in and experiment with. 

IMG_9866.png

IMG_9867.jpeg

IMG_9868.jpeg

• Like 3