FoA’s Bending, Feat’ing & More

featsofalex

STILL A KILLER LIFT

• Like 1

Thanks! I have a 260 sandbag and I’m not even sure I could wrestle it into pressing position even from my knees, now I wanna try😂😂😂

Pull Day

Warmed up with lat pull downs and low row.

Double overhand fatbar (2” solid steel with knurling) deadlifts. Worked up to singles at 310, 330 and an unconscionably soft lockout at 350.

Then through on straps and did sets of 5 RDLs at 350, 350+green band, 350+green and red band (good tough set, nailing the right weight and band tension is a great joy😃)!

Ended with a 3x5 of bent over rows using two 100 pound plates stacked on top of each other. These probably felt harder than they were since I was in a race against the baby monitor 😂😂😂

IMG_9452.jpeg

IMG_9458.jpeg

• Like 5

NICE WORK

WAY COOL GYM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

NICE WORK

WAY COOL GYM.

Thank you! Yes, the gym is wildly out of control, just how I like it😃

Volume Bending Day!

Bent four bastard equivalents and four shiny equivalents from Online Metals while working on some technique. 

My favorite part about the session was that it felt like a throwback to when I used to just blast away at Online Metals 5/16 stock every day. Of course that was max effort on the daily so it was nice to get to use it for some volume and technique work😃

IMG_9487.jpeg

• Like 3

Way cool 😎 nice work

• Thanks 1

Squats and Grippers!

My squatting window was tight so instead of loading up a barbell I did single KB squats from rack position. Worked up to a 3x2 on each side with 48kg! 

Later in the day I did some grippers and after warming up I did:

145 rgc HG 300 - mms close

New & Unrated Deathgrip 400 - mms closes and first person ever to close this gripper!

MM2 - close but clear MMS fail 

MM1 - terrible attempts at 38mm & mms

My gripper endurance falls off fast 😭 but I was stoked to close the Deathgrip 400 the day @acromegaman sent it my way, and even more to be the first person to close it!!!

Wrist curls - 60 reps per wrist with about 35 lb dumbbell

Wrist roller -18 pounds for 5 minutes (running clock even with breaks)

IMG_9537.jpeg

IMG_9544.png

• Like 8

Heavy Bending Day!!!

It was supposed to be yesterday but my workout slot got blown to smithereens, so today it is. I’ll combine weightlifting workouts due to the lost day and keep the bending session as planned. 

After some warmup bends, it was time for what was my most high stakes bend ever!!! It was 11/32”x7” O-1 drill rod, and my last chance to make it to 4 points and be one of the top guys who managed to bend any of the fraction bars (P Q R 11/32 23/64 are the contest bends with two chances per bar and I had the points for P Q R but already failed one 11/32 and both 23/64). Not to be too dramatic but this bend was really the difference between me having an acceptable and a great contest in likely the toughest field ever assembled for a steel bending contest! 

With all that said, I smashed it in 1:49 and was soooo happy, it’s really an extraordinary and rare feeling to be able give your best performance when it matters most!!! I’m now in Fourth Place but with very little control of my fate anymore - contest ends this Saturday 4/13. I have one more P bar that I can try and shave a couple seconds off my time with but I’ve substantively given every drop of blood, swear and tears possible!!!

After the contest bend I did a little 7.5” 7” 6.5” ladder of 9mm EN3B CRS from DeathGrip Strength. These bars have some fight to them and are definitely harder than any corresponding Dukes I’ve bent but it was a charmed day so no problemo!

Next up was an IMPs bend, last week I overshot with a hexabastard in this slot and this week probably undershot with and 8mmx7” EN3B CRS but it’s all good there’s already been a lot going on this session😂

Wrapped it up with some ISO’s on a 23/64x7” O1 that’s stuck at a little over 4” and that was a wrap!!!

A25C821C-DE60-47EF-AF84-CB1AEE86A82C.jpeg

IMG_9620.jpeg

IMG_9622.jpeg

• Like 5

Nice work 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, featsofalex said:

Heavy Bending Day!!!

It was supposed to be yesterday but my workout slot got blown to smithereens, so today it is. I’ll combine weightlifting workouts due to the lost day and keep the bending session as planned. 

After some warmup bends, it was time for what was my most high stakes bend ever!!! It was 11/32”x7” O-1 drill rod, and my last chance to make it to 4 points and be one of the top guys who managed to bend any of the fraction bars (P Q R 11/32 23/64 are the contest bends with two chances per bar and I had the points for P Q R but already failed one 11/32 and both 23/64). Not to be too dramatic but this bend was really the difference between me having an acceptable and a great contest in likely the toughest field ever assembled for a steel bending contest! 

With all that said, I smashed it in 1:49 and was soooo happy, it’s really an extraordinary and rare feeling to be able give your best performance when it matters most!!! I’m now in Fourth Place but with very little control of my fate anymore - contest ends this Saturday 4/13. I have one more P bar that I can try and shave a couple seconds off my time with but I’ve substantively given every drop of blood, swear and tears possible!!!

After the contest bend I did a little 7.5” 7” 6.5” ladder of 9mm EN3B CRS from DeathGrip Strength. These bars have some fight to them and are definitely harder than any corresponding Dukes I’ve bent but it was a charmed day so no problemo!

Next up was an IMPs bend, last week I overshot with a hexabastard in this slot and this week probably undershot with and 8mmx7” EN3B CRS but it’s all good there’s already been a lot going on this session😂

Wrapped it up with some ISO’s on a 23/64x7” O1 that’s stuck at a little over 4” and that was a wrap!!!

A25C821C-DE60-47EF-AF84-CB1AEE86A82C.jpeg

IMG_9620.jpeg

IMG_9622.jpeg

good luck, I'm sure you will shave a few seconds off. 

You took at thing down like nothing though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blacksmith513 said:

good luck, I'm sure you will shave a few seconds off. 

You took at thing down like nothing though.

Thanks! Yes, every second may count for sure!!!

• Like 1

Push Day

Nominal warmup then straight to bench for warmup by fire😂 worked up to 275x5, 315x1 and 315x3 to a 2 board. 275 really should’ve just been for 1 or 2 as a last warmup but for some reason felt super dialed in so I just went with it and banged out a proper 5 rep set. That’s very likely a 5 rep PR, I certainly can’t remember higher! Then I clipped the pin on my 315 rep🤦‍♂️ which combined with the extra 275 reps made the 2 board feel harder than it should’ve so I just hit the slow triple and lived to bench another day!

Then I took the workout outside or at least tried to, but after 2x30 on light Viking Press and one rep of 140 pound Log Viper Press my daughter decided we should go look at flowers instead of lift weights, but on the bright side I have 3 tulips blooming (I totally get how people got caught up in a Tulip Bubble, idve been right there with them😂).

Finished up a little later with a chest/tricep complex using 35 pound fat bells and that was all she wrote. I didn’t film anything, so I snagged a pick of my favorite of my gyms!

IMG_9640.jpeg

• Like 7

Way cool stuff, out side gym, great

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Volume Bending Day (yesterday!)

After warmups I did my final ACE of O-1 bend, the P rematch. I did my first one in 15 seconds but seeing as the fastest so far was 9 seconds by @Austin Seitter there seemed to be a few seconds to be saved! It was a real nice bend and got it done in 13 seconds, every two seconds counts 😃 Now I’ve attempted all ten of my ACE bars and get to spend the last two days of the contest as a judge and fan and of course figuring out how to spin it so there’s actually four people on a podium (if I’m still even in fourth when the dust settles)😂😂😬

Then it was off to the actual volume of volume day. Did 4 online metals bastard equivalents and then was planning to do 4 online metals shiny equivalents but the first one was accidentally Q drill rod lol. During the bend I was like damn this shiny has a lot of fight to it, but soon enough figured out why🤣 after accidental Q I switched it to finishing with 3 FBBC bastards to ensure the bends remained snappy throughout the whole session. 

IMG_9650.jpeg

78A1951F-574D-42EE-9E39-32C871C0ECE4.jpeg

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, sid_arnes said:

That's a strong 2 seconds!

Will there be an official Ace of O-1 write up?

Thanks, and yes I think there will have to be a proper write up!!!

For last summers King of Cold Rolled Steel contest Jan did a great write up, check it out if you haven’t read it! 

https://www.horrido-bending.com/post/king-of-cold-rolled-steel-2023

Forgot to include the video for P, enjoy 7 and a half minutes of video for 13 seconds of bending 😂😂😂

• Like 2

I still have 1 last chance to attempt the 11/32 but if my last attempt is any indication of how it’ll go I think your 4th place spot is safe from me 😂 pretty cool my P bend has stayed the fastest though! Had I not messed up on the redo I feel like I could’ve shaved a few seconds off but at 9 seconds it has to be perfect to improve 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Austin Seitter said:

I still have 1 last chance to attempt the 11/32 but if my last attempt is any indication of how it’ll go I think your 4th place spot is safe from me 😂 pretty cool my P bend has stayed the fastest though! Had I not messed up on the redo I feel like I could’ve shaved a few seconds off but at 9 seconds it has to be perfect to improve 

Yeah it’s awesome that the very first bend of the contest is looking like it’ll go wire to wire as fastest bend!!!

Being out of bars is such a moral dilemna lol, I don’t want to drop in the rankings and I don’t want to cheer for people to fail😂 maybe I’ll cheer for successful but slow af bends🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, featsofalex said:

Yeah it’s awesome that the very first bend of the contest is looking like it’ll go wire to wire as fastest bend!!!

Being out of bars is such a moral dilemna lol, I don’t want to drop in the rankings and I don’t want to cheer for people to fail😂 maybe I’ll cheer for successful but slow af bends🤣🤣🤣

I had the same dilemma with you going into the 11/32 bend 😂 in 1 hand I wanted to keep the 7th place spot but in the other I really wanted to see you crush that thing

• Like 1

Pull, Squat & Grip Day 😅

Since I missed Mondays workout and didn’t wanna mess with bending days here we are with a long name for the day and not a long time to do it😬😬😬

Started with a superset of stiff leg t-bar deadlifts (since it was secretly upper back day😂) and 45kg Holle Inch lifts. 3 rounds of 230 lbs in plates (prolly 240 total) T-Bar for 5 reps and then 10 reps alternating hands on 45kg inch. 

Next up I was taking a victory lap before actually lifting since I figured out the perfect exercise for Pull Squat Grip Day! 45kg Holle Inch Clean & Squat for the win! Did 3 sets of 3 reps per side and it felt like a full workout in one go! 

Finished up with a single yolo smash of my AK-150 dyno and got 106.6kg for a small PR but a PR nonetheless!

IMG_9667.jpeg

IMG_9663.jpeg

• Like 5

Heavy Bending Day, and a wild rollercoaster at that!!!

Warmup bends ended with an OM shiny that was properly centered, a sure fire omen of awesomeness! Then off to the big bends!!!

First up was an OM 13/32”x7.5” 360 Brass better known as an Odd Golden Emperor Of All Bastards Equivalent🤣🤣🤣 I’ve never tried to bend anything 13/32 before, but we were off to the races with a nice smooth 50 second bend! 

Next up was an official FBBC KOAB from January ‘24 and damn those are tough ones (KOABs from late last year were way way easier 😅)I got some movement on it but nothing serious and then blasted away at it a while longer to count it as my iso training for the day. These will have to be taken very seriously and be prepped for and the feature bend, not just as a second of three hard bends bend. Since I cleverly reslotted this as my iso bar for the day, I replaced it with a 3/8”x7” bar from Delmar. I’ve bent this before, but never so smoothly and confidently!!!

The last of the big bends was Rx6.5” O-1 drill rod. Two weeks ago I did this bend in a brutal 4:30 fight to the death, and today it was a dominant 49 second bend. I think it’s a good sign too that all three bends had basically the same bending cadence to them rather than my typical pure chaos. Also, no crush pads on any of them!

Next up was an IMPs bend which I overshot going with a 3/8”x7” G2 and got bricked😭 was running out of time so instead of fussing with it too much I switched to a classic red nail in imps and called it a day! 

IMG_9714.jpeg

• Like 5

Killer bends

Edited by John Knowlton
  • Like 1