PinchByPinch Training

PinchByPinch

I have 2 grip competitions coming up - end of May and start of June so I wanted to track my loose training plan to what I actually did and thought sharing this might make me actually track it.

The comp in May is at a strongman gym and has IronMind Hub, Rolling Thunder and Farmers Hold (30 seconds). I'm not sure of the details around the Farmer's Hold - I've never touched the implement and not sure if you nominate the weight you think you can do for 30 seconds or how that works but I'll try get more details closer to the event. I don't at all enjoy training hub (long fingers make it tough) but as it's a strongman comp without weight classes it's probably my best bet at making ground.

The comp in June is the Australian Championship and has the 2 hand 2.375" Napalm Nightmare, 2 hand 3x4" Napalm Pinch, Little Big Horn and Double Shallow Inch Pinch.

I also climb fairly regularly and good weather, a climbing trip or friends who want to climb will take precedence over grip. I also do some all day/multi-day hikes which will mean I don't train on those days.

I've also neglected non-climbing/non-grip exercise for a while so want to build back up to 80kg bench press 5x5 and work on overhead pressing.

My rough plan is to do each event once a week, build up weight over 3 weeks and have more rest in the 4th week (something like the below for Napalm 2.375")

image.thumb.png.1874db0c85081fa3eed5a39b3909aaec.png

I've found this works well in the past especially for thick handle stuff but I might switch to warm up then heavy triples, doubles then singles later, I'd just like the volume at the start.

So week 1 of about 13 is done, I had a climbing trip for a month directly before this and lost a few kilos and definitely lost some strength, I've upped my calories and expect/hope week 2 to feel a little easier.

image.thumb.png.bac6c5506e2898ebc1c4616468651c3a.png

Some notes - BFG is blue fat gripz, I put this on a One Hand Napalm handle to try mimic the RT but I'll probably just train the Napalm One Hand 2.375" for this instead of Crusher as my Crusher is 2.25". I have a 65kg Inch and a 78kg Inch that I lift/attempt if I'm feeling strong. I also have a 45lb blob that I like to lift on pinch days.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

image.thumb.png.ad4c2072997666a1d59deccae55f31e5.png

I don't usually train grippers but I didn't have much time Thursday so worked up to my heaviest gripper CoC #2 @106 while cooking dinner. I'm not super keen on grippers but like to be able to close the #2 if I want to do Crushed to Dust in the future and as I can comfortably do the 106 I'll look at getting something ideally 114-120 (probably a Platinum) soon.

I also did a long hold on my KWN 45lb blob Friday which felt good as I hadn't done it to a comfortable lockout for what felt like ages but was probably only 2 months, one of which I was away for. I need to get my other hand back to being able to lift it as my Left Hand is both my blob and Inch hand which makes combo feats more challenging.

Edited by PinchByPinch
adding content
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

image.thumb.png.b56369c5b9cd3485ea3a3657613926f9.png

I have a climbing friend visiting at the moment so any idea of following my grip plan has gone out the window, it has mostly been trips away doing relatively easy climbing with big approaches. This and another few trips coming up means I probably won't be home to train properly for another week, but I'll try do a rolling handle and hub session before heading away tomorrow.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

As expected I haven't been able to follow my plan for a while, and on Monday I broke my toe 🤦‍♂️

image.thumb.png.c8e73a85aad09259a6c18b4247f0349f.png

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not a great training week but I did receive my Fatman blob so I can't complain! I also entered the March challenge.

I also did my heaviest ever deadlifts as I don't have a weight lifting background so haven't ever tried to max things like this - my form didn't look great to me (no pain but back was rounded) so decided to call it at 165kg/363lb. I'm planning to get a PT/coach sometime in the future (probably from November) so probably won't try normal bar double overhand deadlifts again until then. The Fatman I couldn't lift straight away so did some 2 hand holds with it (about 20 seconds x5 with a few mins in between) it isn't seasoned yet so hoping it will feel easier when it is. I did some 45lb blob lifts as warm up.

image.png.47659856f9a73dcf0b20735a993126f6.png

• Like 5

I decided I'll try a 6 week peaking program for the June 1st comp. 6 weeks before the comp I'll be on a week long climbing trip though so I'll start it early and see how I'm doing after the trip. For this week I thought I should find out my current Little Big Horn max which was about 80kg in plates - my LBH is slippery and hasn't seasoned much yet so I'm confident I'll get 5-15kg more on the comp LBH on comp day.

I also got a 60mm/2.375" axle which I got to 140kg which I'm happy about seeing I haven't tried it before. 

For the 6 week program I'll try do 2 heavy days and 2 light days, covering the 6 comp implements (3 in Group A 3 in Group B). At some point I still need to work out how to train the farmers hold. 

image.png.328c274a92477472be85ef077514eca2.png

Light B1-

image.png.8a1e58fd34d6ac3fa5a2941d4579bae1.png

• Like 3

This week I went to a climbing gym a couple hours away from where I live which has a Rogue Anvil and some other grip stuff I don't have at home. I didn't climb because of my broken toe but tested out all their toe-friendly training equipment. Friday my Dinnie Rings from Cerberus Strength arrived and I maxed out at about 123kg/95kg. That's only about 65% of actual stone weight so I have a lot of work to do there but I'll need to spend some time working out best stance and getting used to the rings etc. I'm going to have to make some changes to my heavy grip days because by the 3rd implement I'm pretty fatigued so I'll probably drop 1 or 2 sets from each.

image.png.ee4078345dbf86080bc430963aec5b42.png

image.thumb.png.7c82d5275923b54562bfc931a119b21c.png

image.thumb.png.52c5d413927fb226b1f802408cfef517.png

image.thumb.png.06235e934d31566b958ca75dc0df205d.png

image.png

• Like 4

Nice 👍 one

• Thanks 1