Video: What Are The Various Types of Blobs and Blob Replicas

Jedd Johnson

I've made several of these videos over the years, but I thought it was time to do an update, since I have a few more variations now.

Check out the description box for additional info

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

Thanks for this. I admittedly know very little about these, partly because I just haven’t gotten into them for time and space reasons. 

What about the when I see people talk about the KWN blobs? Is that just another company’s replica?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Thanks for this. I admittedly know very little about these, partly because I just haven’t gotten into them for time and space reasons. 

What about the when I see people talk about the KWN blobs? Is that just another company’s replica?

I believe they come out of Japan. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:
47 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

I believe they come out of Japan. 

There are much more knowledgeable people out there.  Ex. @matek had a KWN 40 and 50 as of November, so he may have more information.

I did a little research a while back and can confirm that KWN blobs are listed on Amazon Japan but they don't ship outside of Japan.  You'd need to either live there, visit there, or arrange for someone there to ship it to you (as a third party/middle man) if you wanted to buy one new.

NOTE:  From what I understand from the GripBoard and YouTube  @ZRMMA did the latter of contacting/arranging shipment with a grip guy he knew in Japan.

Again, he or @Ben Helms could speak to dimensions, difficulty, etc.  I personally have never seen a KWN in person.

• Like 2

Great video Jedder!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jedd Johnson said:

I've made several of these videos over the years, but I thought it was time to do an update, since I have a few more variations now.

Check out the description box for additional info

This is GOLD!!! thanks Jedd 👑

• Like 1

Glad everyone likes it.  You can really help me out by liking the video and commenting on the video itself.  This helps me out more than you realize.

• Like 4

Hey Jedd-  this was a really cool video..  I like the red pill blob! 

I just grabbed my first blob.. anyone can fill me in on it?  I’m assuming it’s a York PRE- USA stamp 70lb fatman style?  leaving it to the pros here… thanks guys

IMG_3479.thumb.jpeg.83ed4c95ac10200a9b75e17653be2bcd.jpegIMG_3480.thumb.jpeg.1648560fe3eb4ab8f89b3ebfdbd387cc.jpegIMG_3481.thumb.jpeg.1afea337c237df7a371f7a982bda729d.jpegIMG_3482.thumb.jpeg.70e548822403163552cb8c8c12821afa.jpeg

• Like 1

How much does it weigh?  35+/-?

For what it's worth, you're in luck that the York side of the dumbbell is the side to check for the "USA" stamp on the flat portion.

If you don't see a stamp like the one in the photo...logic would say it came off an earlier Fat Man era dumbbell.  Hope that helps.

USA Stamp Example.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

How much does it weigh?  35+/-?

For what it's worth, you're in luck that the York side of the dumbbell is the side to check for the "USA" stamp on the flat portion.

If you don't see a stamp like the one in the photo...logic would say it came off an earlier Fat Man era dumbbell.  Hope that helps.

USA Stamp Example.jpg

hey man-  weighs 35.9lbs.. thanks for the info.. yea I don’t see the USA.. so it’s older? Nice- around what years did they run?  Thanks

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, deadgrip said:

hey man-  weighs 35.9lbs.. thanks for the info.. yea I don’t see the USA.. so it’s older? Nice- around what years did they run?  Thanks

General timeline from my understanding is 1960s - 1980s.  WITH the stamp was 1990s.

Basing it on @VintageWeightsPGH's video...  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxsd6u8f40c

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, deadgrip said:

great video- thanks man

Happy to help.  Rob (@VintageWeightsPGH) is an excellent source for vintage stuff.  I watch a lot of stuff on his YouTube channel and he's cool about answering my many questions.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Douglas Carney said:

Happy to help.  Rob (@VintageWeightsPGH) is an excellent source for vintage stuff.  I watch a lot of stuff on his YouTube channel and he's cool about answering my many questions.

I believe I watched him restore an Ironman Tetting recently?  If this is the same guy…

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, deadgrip said:

I believe I watched him restore an Ironman Tetting recently?  If this is the same guy…

Yeah...that's the guy!  Here's a link to the Tetting video, to confirm.

Like I said, excellent source. Rob is deeper into the history than me, so I learn a lot watching his videos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Yeah...that's the guy!  Here's a link to the Tetting video, to confirm.

Like I said, excellent source. Rob is deeper into the history than me, so I learn a lot watching his videos.

ya that’s the one!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deadgrip said:

ya that’s the one!  

Thanks for watching! 💪 I’m no expert, but the more I put out there, the more I learn. 

Edited by VintageWeightsPGH
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1