Thoroughfare to the Three

Bornintothe

Hey all, 

I haven’t been on here in a few years, but I’ve recently been inspired by the surge in the popularity of grip sport to complete my previous goal of certifying on the CoC #3. If I do I’ll be one of the select group certified on the CoC #3 and the Red Nail. 

I welcome anyone else who has the goal of certifying on the CoC #3 as well to post along with me. Back when I was obsessed with the Red Nail we had a “Road to the Red” thread and we had a good group of guys (Dan Reinhard, Mike Sharkey, Chez) complete the cert in that thread. Hopefully that same camaraderie will be rekindled here.  

Edited by Bornintothe
  • Like 8

Currently I have 4 reps right hand on my #2, and 3 reps left hand.  

Edited by Bornintothe
  • Like 1

Looking forward to seeing your progress 

• Like 1

Thanks John!

what routine are you going to follow? have you ever closed anything beyond a #2?

• Like 1

Awesome! Always great to see a newer person getting seriously into grip. You're in the right place for some great advice! Good luck and look forward to watching your progress. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scottex92 said:

what routine are you going to follow? have you ever closed anything beyond a #2?

I have closed a 2.5 in the past, though I’m unsure of the RGC rating of that particular gripper.

Planning to do a once per week gripper workout: 

Warm up 

8-10 reps on #1.5

5 to 8 sets of singles on my #2

3 sets of 5 second deep set holds on my #2.5

Drop down to 3x10 on 1.5

Planning to continue moving this template up through my grippers. I’ll keep my eyes on CPW to try and acquire some grippers to bridge the gap in order to maintain this scheme as long as I’m progressing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, C8Myotome said:

Very cool, looking forward to seeing your progress. Working on the 3.5 cert myself 

Thanks! 3.5 cert is a BIG gripper goal. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Awesome! Always great to see a newer person getting seriously into grip. You're in the right place for some great advice! Good luck and look forward to watching your progress. 

Thanks! 

I’m not a complete neophyte to grip as I have closed a 2.5 before and I certified on the Red Nail in 2012. Just trying to surpass my old PRs on grippers and finally cert on the #3. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bornintothe said:

Thanks! 

I’m not a complete neophyte to grip as I have closed a 2.5 before and I certified on the Red Nail in 2012. Just trying to surpass my old PRs on grippers and finally cert on the #3. 

Oh gotcha. Way cool. Good luck on the 3!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Oh gotcha. Way cool. Good luck on the 3!

Thanks again! Hoping to get this cert by the year’s end. 

Nice! I'm hoping to be MMS-ing my heavier 3's by then, but I don't see the cert happening anytime soon haha. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Nice! I'm hoping to be MMS-ing my heavier 3's by then, but I don't see the cert happening anytime soon haha. 

Maybe I’m being unrealistic! I did progress from being unable to bend the Yellow nail to certifying on the Red nail in less than a year. I suppose it depends on how well I respond to the training. 🤞🏼

• Like 3

Gripper workout 12/18:

Warm up with squishy thing.

1x8 LH & RH with CoC #1.5

6x1 RH with CoC #2 parallel set  

3x1 LH with CoC #2 parallel set (made 6 attempts but only completed attempts 1,2&4)

Drop down 2x8 with CoC #1.5 (focused on “credit card distance” between reps. Slow eccentric, smooth concentric)

Feeling pretty fatigued in the lower arms today so I cut this workout short. Climbing with my bro on Sunday may have affected my performance. 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Bornintothe said:

Nice closes! I'll give you a piece of advice that @dubyagrip gave me: you might get more bang  for your buck if you control that eccentric/opening a bit more instead of letting it pop open. Not a taxing negative, just a slow, controlled release. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Nice closes! I'll give you a piece of advice that @dubyagrip gave me: you might get more bang  for your buck if you control that eccentric/opening a bit more instead of letting it pop open. Not a taxing negative, just a slow, controlled release. 

Thanks Doc. I’ll give this a try next week. 

• Like 3

Another poor workout. 

Felt pretty fatigued in my warm up. 
Perhaps because of grip intensive yard work this past Sunday. 

Warm up.

1x8 on CoC 1.5

3x1 left and right. Struggled to get final closes.

Cut the work out short.

On a positive note I ordered a SG Au and Pt with rating service from @Cannon 

Hoping I get something on the 95lb & 115lb mark so I can get some meaningful sets in. Trying to stay mindful of when and where I use my grip this week to stay fresh for my workout next Friday. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Bornintothe said:

Hoping I get something on the 95lb & 115lb mark so I can get some meaningful sets in.

Noted. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Noted. 

🙏🏼

8 hours ago, Cannon said:

Noted. 

Matt's the bomb. 

Also, don't beat yourself up about the workout. The only consistent thing about gripper training a lot of the time is the inconsistency. Progress will happen but not necessarily linearly. I'm sure you've experienced in other aspects of grip, but I feel like grippers are uniquely capricious. 

As @dubyagrip once commented on one of my bad workouts (I feel like I'm quoting him a lot lately 😂), you won't get weaker from a suboptimal workout. 

Edited by DoctorOfCrush
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Matt's the bomb. 

Also, don't beat yourself up about the workout. The only consistent thing about gripper training a lot of the time is the inconsistency. Progress will happen but not necessarily linearly. I'm sure you've experienced in other aspects of grip, but I feel like grippers are uniquely capricious. 

As @dubyagrip once commented on one of my bad workouts (I feel like I'm quoting him a lot lately 😂), you won't get weaker from a suboptimal workout. 

Thanks for the encouragement Doc! I’ll keep plugging away. The progress will come. 

• Like 1

Warmup

1x8 on CoC 1.5 each hand. 
5x2 on CoC 2 right hand. 
5x0 on CoC 2 left hand. Did an overcrush assist with right hand and held for 5 seconds. 

Gonna try to add a second workout on Mondays to see how I handle some additional volume. 

Standard grippers will arrive this week. Hoping they will help bridge the gap and I can get some more specific volume between the 1.5 & 2. 

• Like 3