Once-in-a-Lifetime Sale of the Original Mash Monster Grippers

Cannon

The selfish desire to cop vs the selfless desire to see someone who might actually close it get it.

Possible synthesis: Cop it and rent it out.

• Like 2

It’s a long shot but, if I manage to be the one that gets the MM10, I’ll try to meet up with Myerscough to have him close it 😂 I live in the UK and it’ll be a paperweight for me for a long time but I wanna see someone close it just to prove to myself it’s possible

• Like 4

I can already see Alex rubbing his hands together

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I don't even like Grippers and find this really cool!

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, climber511 said:

I don't even like Grippers

blasphemy!

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

As much as love the mm cert process and would to own these grippers…..grippers are just tools to me and I’m sure the historians and collectors will ramp the cost up too rich for my blood 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Chez said:

As much as love the mm cert process and would to own these grippers…..grippers are just tools to me and I’m sure the historians and collectors will ramp the cost up too rich for my blood 

Its why i'm personally not fond of the idea of these going on sale because the gripper whales will spend top dollar on these grippers only to put them on a wall somewhere never to see the light of day or the handles touch

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

Its why i'm personally not fond of the idea of these going on sale because the gripper whales will spend top dollar on these grippers only to put them on a wall somewhere never to see the light of day or the handles touch

If I were to purchase any I'd imagine the handles would never touch either, but not for lack of trying! I'll probably put in a bid, but I don't even want to imagine what people will pay for these

I think there is value in both using and collecting things - whether it is grippers, watches, cars, tools, books, or any other item you could imagine. I personally prefer to use all of my grippers, their utility being the main charm, rather than have them sit on a shelf untouched (hence why I recently sold the pieces I knew I wouldn't want to ruin or close) - but having collectors in the game to keep the history of grippers alive and in mint condition is a value that extends to any other historical item. This is the purpose of museums, to preserve the history of what once was in its purest possible state, both as a means of education and admiration.

I want all of my grippers to be used and abused, with my blood, sweat, and tears ingrained into the handles by the time I'm done with them - wrought with the evidence of brutal training and progress over many years of traversing the limits of athletic achievement. If I were to win a bid for one of these Mash Monster grippers, I would try to use the thing until the spring snapped, testing which was more resilient - it or I, in honor of exploring Warren's creation to its fullest.

• Like 5

On 1/2/2024 at 5:54 PM, Cannon said:

...and buyers may have the grippers rated at their discretion. Although they may wish to preserve the mystique of unknown ratings.

It would be interesting to know.

• Like 2

No disrespect ment here but this actually makes me a little sad these are going on sell. The coolest part of the MM cert is I get to try to close the exact gripper the guys I look up to closed. With them being sold that chance will be gone forever. 

Just my 2 cents

Edited by jculpepper

On 1/12/2024 at 5:29 AM, Jermiah Merciconah said:

I know and i hate that. I’m actually planning a return to training and I would use them. 

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 2:21 PM, Jared P said:

I think there is value in both using and collecting things - whether it is grippers, watches, cars, tools, books, or any other item you could imagine. I personally prefer to use all of my grippers, their utility being the main charm, rather than have them sit on a shelf untouched (hence why I recently sold the pieces I knew I wouldn't want to ruin or close) - but having collectors in the game to keep the history of grippers alive and in mint condition is a value that extends to any other historical item. This is the purpose of museums, to preserve the history of what once was in its purest possible state, both as a means of education and admiration.

I want all of my grippers to be used and abused, with my blood, sweat, and tears ingrained into the handles by the time I'm done with them - wrought with the evidence of brutal training and progress over many years of traversing the limits of athletic achievement. If I were to win a bid for one of these Mash Monster grippers, I would try to use the thing until the spring snapped, testing which was more resilient - it or I, in honor of exploring Warren's creation to its fullest.

I agree, I use all my grippers with the understanding they could break at any time and become unusable. The MM will probably end up in a glass case somewhere, or at the very least unused. If someone was going to use them until they break, it would have a really bad ROI anyways. Considering how many grippers are already available I don't know why someone would want to limit themselves to only training on mash monster grippers for 150+ area. At the end of the day the mash monster grippers are just grippers, and the price tag is due to novelty and history, not that they function any better than already available affordable grippers. I also don't like the "mysterious" aspect that we can't know their ratings, gripper rating has been around for a long time now and there's no reason that information couldn't have been made available sooner than later, probably more people would have participated if they actually knew how hard the gripper would be instead of waiting until they could overhsoot it. Some people would rather pay 10x more for a car that does the same thing as one that costs 1/10th of it.

I've been torn on this, but mostly because I would have loved to be on a list with a lot of strong men I've grown to respect. 

Regardless, whoever ends up with them, it's their prerogative what they do with them. If I won the lottery and ended up with any of them, I would personally use all of the ones that I could. Out of maintaining the mystique, respect, or whatever you want to call it, I wouldn't rate the originals, but I would plan on rating the backups. Given that they were never the ones that were actually closed, I don't see the point of not rating them to be used as training tools. I wouldn't want them to sit on a shelf or behind glass either, but I don't have a say in how someone else uses their own property. 

The end of an era always sucks, but it happens. In the same way I am bummed that I will never be a part of the original Mash Monster ladder, there may be others now out of their gripping prime or no longer really training grippers who are kind of bummed that they won't be a part of the new ladder/certification process.

I look forward to what comes next. 

• Like 6

On 1/13/2024 at 2:47 PM, Chez said:

I know and i hate that. I’m actually planning a return to training and I would use them. 

How long have you been off Chez?

6 minutes ago, Bornintothe said:

How long have you been off Chez?

It’s been over a year. Life. I plan to start back up this year 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Chez said:

It’s been over a year. Life. I plan to start back up this year 

Been almost 10 for me brother! Looking to get back into it and rekindle some of the fire we had on the “Race to the Red” thread you started back then. My goal is to cert the #3 by the end of this year. 

• Like 2

It would be nice to own a piece of grip history.

I will certainly put a bid in just to be hopeful.

But whoever gets them?

Hopefully they won't be locked away and forgotten about.

• Like 2

An update has been posted to the main announcement. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 1/5/2024 at 2:43 PM, climber511 said:

I don't even like Grippers and find this really cool!

5e7ab9e9a659e463a3aa1cd8cd53615c.jpg

• Haha 1

I did think that it would help the Gripboard with the sale I fully understand that Bill Piche got it all up and running ect.. it was probably me not really reading the post bit of a shame.

The rate has just been put up to 20% in the UK reading what they class as historical does make it a big if.. At least there is one lot worth an offer. Still unsure why I would need two grippers the same.

Thanks for the update.

23 minutes ago, Busa said:

Still unsure why I would need two grippers the same.

You can always offer on the stuff you want and then resell anything you wish. Once they are yours, you can do what you wish.