Once-in-a-Lifetime Sale of the Original Mash Monster Grippers

Cannon

Once-in-a-Lifetime Sale of the Original Mash Monster Grippers

mm1-10.thumb.JPG.e9896dd3ae6a24d76329b053d1002091.JPG

Updates 1/22/2024

The offer period is open and runs through Sunday, January 28th at Noon. Check out the GALLERY for more information on individual grippers and detail photos. Finally, a reminder of the offer guidelines:

How to Make an Offer

• Offers should be submitted to thegripboard@gmail.com. All offers should be in USD. In addition to your offer we will require contact information including full name, address and phone number.  
  • Please only submit offers you are ready to close. If you need to talk to a spouse, see more pictures, or ask questions; do that before placing an offer. Accepted offers will be required to sign an "as is" bill of sale. 
  • You may submit multiple offers. For example, you may offer $X for Lot 1, $XX for Lots 1-3, or $XXX for everything. Include any preferences about what you would like the most. We will not break up the individual lots so please only make offers for any combination of Lots 1 through 11. 
  • Offers must be actual figures chosen by you and not "would go up to" amounts or offers such as "the highest bid plus $5". You must offer a set dollar amount figure. 
  • We strongly encourage you to put your best foot forward. No direct feedback on offers will be provided as this is not truly an auction. We simply want to work with real offers from real people who would like these collector items. For those who have asked, we estimate the minimum value of back-ups at $300 and certification grippers at $500.   
  • You can increase previously submitted offers at any time by emailing the new information.        
  • The accepted offer(s) will be closed in a private sale with the owner, Bill Piche. Paypal will be the payment processor only. Proceeds do not benefit The GripBoard or Cannon PowerWorks. 
  • For International buyers, the HS Tariff Code 9705.10.00 will be used to designate the items as collector's pieces. Theoretically this designation is free from general rates of duty. However, we make no representations about what duty fees, customs charges, or import taxes may be charged. Any such charges are the sole responsibility of the buyer and not included in the purchase price. The declared value will match the purchase price.    

As always, contact Matt with any questions at thegripboard@gmail.com.

Updates 1/20/2024

A photo gallery of all lots with more information about the individual grippers has been posted at the GripBoard. See the gallery here: https://www.gripboard.com/gallery/category/22-official-mash-monster-sale-gallery/

As always, feel free to contact Matt with any questions: thegripboard@gmail.com 

Updates 1/18/2024

Posting the original announcement well in advance of the sale produced exactly the kind of feedback and questions we were hoping to get. We have had a chance to address many of them and have a couple more updates below.

A Change to Lot Choices 

We received numerous suggestions about how the lots are structured. So many, in fact, that there was very little overlap and clearly no way to make everyone happy. But there is one change we feel makes sense. The second back-up will be pulled off Lots 1-3 and used to form a mixed Bonus Lot 11. This change makes Lots 1-3 more affordable and generates one opportunity for a mixed lot which was one of the most common requests. The new Lot structure is as follows:

Lot 1: Mash Monster Level 1 certification grippers and 1 back-up
Lot 2: Mash Monster Level 2 certification grippers and 1 back-up
Lot 3: Mash Monster Level 3 certification grippers and 1 back-up
Lot 4: Mash Monster Level 4 certification grippers and 1 back-up
Lot 5: Mash Monster Level 5 certification grippers and 1 back-up
Lot 6: Mash Monster Level 6 certification grippers and 1 back-up
Lot 7: Mash Monster Level 7 certification gripper
Lot 8: Mash Monster Level 8 certification gripper
Lot 9: Mash Monster Level 9 certification grippers and 1 back-up
Lot 10: Mash Monster Level 10 certification gripper
Bonus Lot 11: One back-up each for Mash Monster Levels 1, 2 and 3.

Not Truly an Auction

Many have asked if they will be able to see the best offers so they know what to bid. However, bid is the wrong word. The offers will not be made public and there will be no feedback provided for submitted offers. We are simply motivated to sell the items to interested collectors. We are not looking to leverage buyers against each other in an auction environment. Simply submit your best offers and we will consider them and work with the ones we enjoy, which may give consideration to a number of factors. 

Condition of the Grippers

In all cases, the springs are in great condition. The certification grippers for Levels 1-3 have been shipped, used, and cleaned enough that the springs have a lighter appearance as compared to other levels. Otherwise the grippers are "as removed from service". The handles on many grippers, including the back-ups, bear the marks of existing for 20 years and may have some chalk residue from certifications. A gallery of photographs for each gripper is forthcoming.  

How to Make an Offer

The offer period does not start until January 22nd but here is the offer structure. 

• Beginning January 22nd, offers will be submitted to thegripboard@gmail.com. All offers should be in USD. In addition to your offer we will require contact information including full name, address and phone number.  
  • Please only submit offers you are ready to close. If you need to talk to a spouse, see more pictures, or ask questions; do that before placing an offer. Accepted offers will be required to sign an "as is" bill of sale. 
  • You may submit multiple offers. For example, you may offer $X for Lot 1, $XX for Lots 1-3, or $XXX for everything. Include any preferences about what you would like the most. We will not break up the individual lots so please only make offers for any combination of Lots 1 through 11. 
  • Offers must be actual figures chosen by you and not "would go up to" amounts or offers such as "the highest bid plus $5". You must offer a set dollar amount figure. 
  • We strongly encourage you to put your best foot forward. No direct feedback on offers will be provided as this is not truly an auction. We simply want to work with real offers from real people who would like these collector items. For those who have asked, we estimate the minimum value of back-ups at $300 and certification grippers at $500.   
  • You can increase previously submitted offers at any time by emailing the new information.        
  • The accepted offer(s) will be closed in a private sale with the owner, Bill Piche. Paypal will be the payment processor only. Proceeds do not benefit The GripBoard or Cannon PowerWorks. 
  • For International buyers, the HS Tariff Code 9705.10.00 will be used to designate the items as collector's pieces. Theoretically this designation is free from general rates of duty. However, we make no representations about what duty fees, customs charges, or import taxes may be charged. Any such charges are the sole responsibility of the buyer and not included in the purchase price. The declared value will match the purchase price.    

As always, contact Matt with any questions at thegripboard@gmail.com.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

What is happening?

The time is approaching for the once-in-a-lifetime sale of the original Mash Monster Grippers. These pieces of grip history would be the crowning jewel of any grip collection. This may be your chance to own some--or all--of the grippers.

The Mash Monster certification began in 2003 and ran through 2023. The grippers were custom made by the Godfather of Grip himself, Warren Tetting at his shop in St. Paul, Minnesota. There are 10 levels and 128 athletes throughout those levels. For all levels, every single certification was completed on the exact same gripper which was shipped all over the world for 20 years. No other grippers have this depth of legacy and legend. These are the actual grippers which will be auctioned. 

How will the auction work? 

Once the sale starts, offers will be accepted for 7 days. Members of the community will be able to submit offers for consideration during those 7 days. Offers can be submitted for any combination of lots. For example, you could make an offer for all lots at once, or for lots 1-3, or lots 4/6/10, whatever you want to acquire.  

Once the sale has closed, the entirety of all offers will be reviewed at once. Consideration will be given to a number of factors including: the strength of the offer, whether the offer includes multiple lots, and the likelihood the offer will close. Possible responses include acceptance, counteroffer, or decline. We encourage buyers to swing for the fence if they want to grab a piece of history.

What are the lots?

The grippers will be divided into 11 lots and posted for viewing at Cannon PowerWorks and The GripBoard. Each lot will represent one level of grippers, including any back-up grippers. During 20 years of the Mash Monster certification, none of the main grippers were ever lost or damaged. Therefore, the main grippers show corresponding wear and the back-ups are effectively new grippers. The lots breakdown as follows:

Lot 1: Mash Monster Level 1 certification grippers and 1 back-up
Lot 2: Mash Monster Level 2 certification grippers and 1 back-up
Lot 3: Mash Monster Level 3 certification grippers and 1 back-up
Lot 4: Mash Monster Level 4 certification grippers and 1 back-up
Lot 5: Mash Monster Level 5 certification grippers and 1 back-up
Lot 6: Mash Monster Level 6 certification grippers and 1 back-up
Lot 7: Mash Monster Level 7 certification gripper
Lot 8: Mash Monster Level 8 certification gripper
Lot 9: Mash Monster Level 9 certification grippers and 1 back-up
Lot 10: Mash Monster Level 10 certification gripper
Bonus Lot 11: One back-up each for Mash Monster Levels 1, 2 and 3.
(Lot structure updated 1/18/24)

In total, all levels comprise a staggering collection of 20 grippers. Considering Mash Monster replica grippers have routinely sold for hundreds of dollars, this truly is a treasure trove of grippers on another level. Each lot will come with a certificate of authenticity, pouches for the grippers and buyers may have the grippers rated at their discretion. Although they may wish to preserve the mystique of unknown ratings. 

When is the sale? 

The sale will start January 22, 2024 and run through Noon on January 28, 2024. This page will be updated with further information. DO NOT MISS THIS HISTORIC SALE.  

Please contact Matt Cannon at TheGripboard@gmail.com with any questions. 

mm1-3close.thumb.JPG.e2e409af3a644175d93d03c6878e47bd.JPG

mm1feature.thumb.JPG.60375689ccbcfd5ae0b6f93ab112b0ea.JPG

• Like 19

This will likely be too rich for my blood, but wow is this exciting. 

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Don’t feel discouraged from making an offer at the time, though. You never know! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

They are used…maybe you can get a deal? Haha

• Haha 6

3 minutes ago, slazbob said:

They are used…maybe you can get a deal? Haha

Very true. And kinda old. I could something shiny and new for $30! 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Don’t feel discouraged from making an offer at the time, though. You never know! 

But we won't get real-time feedback, correct? All of the offers will be reviewed at once when everything is said and done?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

But we won't get real-time feedback, correct? All of the offers will be reviewed at once when everything is said and done?

Right, just put your best foot forward for the items you want. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

How much to put myself in the will of whoever can afford them?

Edited by C8Myotome
  • Haha 2

I don't think it makes sense for me to bid with the offers in my head, but interesting!

(All I want is a Nickel in the high 150s but I'm just always too late to visit CPW🥲)

• Like 4

Somebody wants to retire lol.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Way over my head money wise BUT I will put a bid in, you never know?

• Like 1

I've tried most of them. They are, 'ok.' Don't worry about placing bids.  😉

Edited by dubyagrip
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

dose this mean you are going for it all. 

7 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Haha no, I was just being facetious.  I'm not a collector, and I wouldn't pay what I figure these will be going for if even if I was.  I'm curious to see the outcome though, if the accepted bids are to be made public.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Would be kinda cool if someone bought the full set and took on the responsibility of letting people "certify" on them again.  But I don't have the time or money to be that guy.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Would be kinda cool if someone bought the full set and took on the responsibility of letting people "certify" on them again.  But I don't have the time or money to be that guy.

I just hope whoever gets the MM10 sends it to Carl, I need to know how easy he would make it look.

• Like 7

both great ideas

• Like 1

Plot twist: someone buys them and files them all and makes a filed mash monster challenge

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

21 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

Plot twist: someone buys them and files them all and makes a filed mash monster challenge

Heresy!

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

"someone" I think we all know who that would be 😂

• Like 2

Sorry to say the taxman would kill me if I went for them.

• Like 1

Some clarifications of the most common questions I'm getting so far:

If this is an auction, will we be able to see the bids?
Honestly, auction is correct by definition (offering goods at sale to buyers who bid against each other) but maybe isn't the best word. It's more like we are accepting offers. As mentioned above we will consider the offers based on numerous criteria. For example, we might favor a sale to a known entity. Or, we might favor a sale to someone who took more at once. In an auction, the highest bidder would automatically win and that's not necessarily the case here. We want to hear about offers from anyone who is interested and one person might submit multiple offers. For example, "I would offer $X for Lot 1, $XX for Lots 1-3, or $XXX for everything. Please notify me if my offer for everything is not being considered." So this more accurately a sale and I updated the wording for that.   

Could someone buy everything and reopen the certification?
No, not really. Once the purchase is finalized with Bill, the buyer can do anything they wish with the equipment they own. That is up to you. But the Mash Monster name and certification process is for the GripBoard where we will be reopening a new certification this year. Could the new owner of the MM10 send it to Carl? Certainly! 

Will the final sale price(s) be disclosed?
Only if the buyer makes that information public. 

• Like 8

This is very cool. I couldn't buy just one.  Hope someone buys the whole lot. Would be nice if they all stayed together. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, blueviper42 said:

Why are you selling?

Read this post

• Thanks 1