In need of GRIP SCIENTISTS - Looking for scientific articles, anatomy, anecdotes, links. What makes strong fingers?

Heath_00000

Hello grip veterans. I hope you are doing well.

This is my second post, and I'm a newbie to grip specific science, but not sports science in general. I have... many, many questions. 

When a muscle contracts, it pulls tendons, causing them to move. Tendons do not generate mechanical forces, only elastic forces. The muscles of the hand only extend to the base of each finger. Anecdotally, I feel like my fingers, and fingertips have increased in strength, specifically in FLEXION. Is it completely neurological? Placebo? A product of increased palm muscle strength?

I know muscles can hypertrophy/strengthen/both measurably in very little time, and tendons take months to strengthen... but what is tendon strengthening? Tendons being able to resist greater forces? Then how would finger flexion gains be possible above the MCP joint? 

I've just heard of "Rate Coding" from Mighty Joe. This makes me wonder, what percent of crushing grip, or other types of grip based on neurological upgrades? Is it 80% strength, 20% neurological upgrades? 50/50? 95/5? Again, anecdotes welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Heath

11 hours ago, Heath_00000 said:

Are these forbidden questions?

No, not at all. But I guess your question didn’t hook anyone. Tell us more about what you’re after here. Maybe shorten the inquiry so it’s a more focused question? 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2023 at 10:26 PM, Heath_00000 said:

I've just heard of "Rate Coding" from Mighty Joe. This makes me wonder, what percent of crushing grip, or other types of grip based on neurological upgrades? Is it 80% strength, 20% neurological upgrades? 50/50? 95/5? Again, anecdotes welcome.

If this thread isn't where you heard of rate coding then you might find it interesting. 

On 9/23/2023 at 10:26 PM, Heath_00000 said:

I know muscles can hypertrophy/strengthen/both measurably in very little time, and tendons take months to strengthen... but what is tendon strengthening?

And here are a bunch of threads about tendon strengthening:

Tendon Strength

How does grip training change the hand or bone/tendons/non muscle in general

Arm wrestling strength

Tendon And Ligament

I found a lot more stuff but let me know if this is anything like the discussion you were hoping for. :) 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Strong fingers are a whole because everything is interrelated in anatomophysiology. you need to work on shoulder strength with the bicep and tricep muscles. the forearms are not separated from the hands or the strength of the fingers; tend; ligament and related structures then each finger can be worked individually or in a group but the thumb separately. what supports us are the extremities, the legs and the neuronal functions which adapt to the force according to a dynamic that the body speaks to you. so everything is interconnected in anatomy and in sport. we must work and strengthen our weaknesses if we want to improve. it’s mental organization; structure and there is a methodology

• Like 1