Carl Myerscough Makes History and Certifies on the Captains of Crush #4 Gripper

josé adalton

Congratulations! job well done

• Like 1

Thanks everybody. In order to meet the video requirements I had to set the camera in a much wider shot, they wanted to be able to see full body at certain times in the video. I did strain/get cramp in by bicep after the close hence me pulling away, but I had committed my mind to closing it no matter what and it was done. Sure it's not held shut for an extended period of time but do the handles momentarily touch together, yes 100% which is what is required. The original video is in good clear quality that ironmind has ownership off, but I do notice that when it gets put on youtube etc it's not quite as clear as I think youtube changes the format/pixels etc. I think in these screen captures from the video you can see metal touching metal clearly.

VideoCapture_20230812-112842.jpg

VideoCapture_20230813-083350.jpg

• Like 25

As mentioned having the camera below the gripper allows for more view of the bottom of the handles, problem is that when using the credit card it completely obscures th3 view of the swipe which then would be invalid, so the camera has to be above the hands looking down slightly to show the Swipe/insert. 

• Like 11

@Carl Myerscough, we appreciate the additional info, but I don’t think anyone on here is surprised/doubting what you have done. Based on what we have seen from you, especially in the past few months, we knew this was merely a matter of time. This is an absolutely mind-numbing feat of strength, and we salute your insane perseverance to accomplish this. 

Congratulations on being the first. 

• Like 9

I have benefitted from the vast knowledge here on the gripboard and I really want to thank everyone for there support and encouragement that helped get me to this milestone. 🙏 I hope I can give back and help others some now.

• Like 23

1 hour ago, Carl Myerscough said:

I have benefitted from the vast knowledge here on the gripboard and I really want to thank everyone for there support and encouragement that helped get me to this milestone. 🙏 I hope I can give back and help others some now.

Carl-

are you content now, or satisfied? Do you feel like you want to go further with harder closes; or simply maintain what you got?

1 hour ago, Carl Myerscough said:

Congrats Carl! I told Dr. Strossen this was literally a top feat of human performance period in the history of mankind. :)

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, slazbob said:

Carl-

are you content now, or satisfied? Do you feel like you want to go further with harder closes; or simply maintain what you got?

Well the goal has been accomplished. It took me right to the brink of destruction. At times I felt like Captain Ahab hunting Moby Dick. I look forward now to transitioning from hunting white whales to thinking of grippers more like early morning fishing.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Wannagrip said:

Congrats Carl! I told Dr. Strossen this was literally a top feat of human performance period in the history of mankind. :)

I don't know about that, but I greatly appreciate the comment.

@Carl Myerscough it so great to finally see you on gripboard! I can't express how inspirational everything you do is!

Me and, I absolutely sure, everyone here are really really hoping you would participate in MM ladder, because MM 10 is another Saint Grail of gripsport which is 100% doable thing from your standpoint.

Best of luck with your future achievements and stay healthy!

Edited by insane.warrior
  • Like 9

15 minutes ago, insane.warrior said:

@Carl Myerscough it so great to finally see you on gripboard! I can't express how inspirational everything you do is!

Me and, I absolutely sure, everyone here are really really hoping you would participate in MM ladder, because MM 10 is another Saint Grail of gripsport which is 100% doable thing from your standpoint.

Best of luck with your future achievements and stay healthy!

I do completely agree on that, you are already closing things beyond that strength level. I’d love to see this happen someday! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Carl Myerscough said:

Well the goal has been accomplished. It took me right to the brink of destruction. At times I felt like Captain Ahab hunting Moby Dick. I look forward now to transitioning from hunting white whales to thinking of grippers more like early morning fishing.

I agree. Enjoy!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Wannagrip said:

Carl’s comment to Bill’s statement was “I don’t know about that”.

After thinking about this for almost a day, I have to say, I AGREE with Wannaggrip.

The best book of its kind on such matters was David Willoughby’s 1970 book “The Super-Athletes”, and Willoughby plowed through history like you would not believe, starting with Milo of Croton, and going forward with warriors William Wallace, Robert the Bruce, strongmen like Thomas Topham of England, eventually getting to the 20th Century with Thomas Inch, Hermann Goerner, and closing with Bob Beamon’s 1968 out-of-this-world leap in Mexico City.

Slim Farman told me that Willoughby planned a follow up book that was going to speak of Slim’s feats, but it never happened. I believe him.

It Willoughby were alive today and still writing, he no doubt would be writing about Captains of Crush Grippers, the quest to close a Number 4 gripper from  a wide measurable standard distance and Carl Meyerscough being the first to do so.

it really is as big a deal as the folks on this forum make it to be.

Carl, congratulations for having the strength and stamina for accomplishing this!

Edited by Hubgeezer
  • Like 8

Had to sign in to post a congratulations. The work that went in must have been monumental. Not to mention having the intangibles of bing an absolute mountain of a guy. 
I am in the group that it was absolutely closed but also in the group that is old school and thought a witness was needed and the video did seem pretty low end for such a top tier thing as a CC set #4 close. 

The 4 is just out of this world. Congrats on this feat. 

• Like 3

I own Willoughby's book and have been influenced by it and read it cover to cover many times. To be mentioned in the same sentence as some of the names there is a compliment for which I have no words. Thank you Hubgeezer. 

But I'm really just a guy that trains in his garage much like I'm sure many of the rest of you here, making a lot of noise and not getting on with the honey do list fast enough much to the erk of the wife.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, slazbob said:

Carl- 

if I may ask… what kind of gripper training are you using?  Singles, or reps, both? 

He goes into detail during his Gripsport Latino episode. 10/10 recommend. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

On 8/15/2023 at 7:26 PM, Carl Myerscough said:

The original video is in good clear quality that ironmind has ownership off, but I do notice that when it gets put on youtube etc it's not quite as clear as I think youtube changes the format/pixels etc.

Carl, I was just wondering, are you sure Ironmind owns rights on your cert video?

I have seen multiple times people posted their original cert videos on their own YouTube channels in the highest quality and it seems like there is no problem with that.

There was a case when Daniel Ferreira Folador Kavamoto from Brazil was certified: on edited Ironmind's video the gripper went out of the camera frame several times. And people were like "what? why it was accepted?". But it turned out that the gripper never left the frame on original video which is listed on Daniel's channel.

UPD: sorry, I have just found the video on your channel 😅

Edited by insane.warrior

2 hours ago, insane.warrior said:

Carl, I was just wondering, are you sure Ironmind owns rights on your cert video?

I have seen multiple times people posted their original cert videos on their own YouTube channels in the highest quality and it seems like there is no problem with that.

There was a case when Daniel Ferreira Folador Kavamoto from Brazil was certified: on edited Ironmind's video the gripper went out of the camera frame several times. And people were like "what? why it was accepted?". But it turned out that the gripper never left the frame on original video which is listed on Daniel's channel.

UPD: sorry, I have just found the video on your channel 😅

Yeh, sorry, just poor choice of words on my part. I meant Ironmind has in their possession the high quality original video as I sent it to them. Not that it's exclusively their's or anything.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

Carl’s comment to Bill’s statement was “I don’t know about that”.

After thinking about this for almost a day, I have to say, I AGREE with Wannaggrip.

The best book of its kind on such matters was David Willoughby’s 1970 book “The Super-Athletes”, and Willoughby plowed through history like you would not believe, starting with Milo of Croton, and going forward with warriors William Wallace, Robert the Bruce, strongmen like Thomas Topham of England, eventually getting to the 20th Century with Thomas Inch, Hermann Goerner, and closing with Bob Beamon’s 1968 out-of-this-world leap in Mexico City.

Slim Farman told me that Willoughby planned a follow up book that was going to speak of Slim’s feats, but it never happened. I believe him.

It Willoughby were alive today and still writing, he no doubt would be writing about Captains of Crush Grippers, the quest to close a Number 4 gripper from  a wide measurable standard distance and Carl Meyerscough being the first to do so.

it really is as big a deal as the folks on this forum make it to be.

Carl, congratulations for having the strength and stamina for accomplishing this!

To be honest, he’s the best to do it. No disrespect to those on the old list, but it’s a totally different feat what Carl has done. 

• Like 1

For those that may be interested I got the rating back from Cannon PowerWorks on my cert gripper. 215rgc. Matt said that they measured it straight out of my packaging at 216 with a 3.040" spread and then after there usual process of oiling and closing it 30 times it was stable at 215 with a 2.958" spread. 

• Like 25

47 minutes ago, Carl Myerscough said:

For those that may be interested I got the rating back from Cannon PowerWorks on my cert gripper. 215rgc. Matt said that they measured it straight out of my packaging at 216 with a 3.040" spread and then after there usual process of oiling and closing it 30 times it was stable at 215 with a 2.958" spread. 

Good thing you prepared with 220!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Carl Myerscough said:

Wow, that is very interesting info! I've heard that average #4 are 220 rgc out of package and 212-215 after seasoning.

32 minutes ago, Abrikos337 said:

Wow, that is very interesting info! I've heard that average #4 are 220 rgc out of package and 212-215 after seasoning.

If by seasoning you mean closing the grippers for some reps than you’re 100% right! It could’ve been slightly more than 216 when Carl closed it! 😃
If seasoning means going full steak mode and covering the gripper with chilli powder, paprika and garlic than nobody knows the RGC after that 💀

• Like 1
  • Haha 5