Carl Myerscough Makes History and Certifies on the Captains of Crush #4 Gripper

josé adalton

All things considered i think Ivan is next

• Like 5

That was really impressive.  Nice work Carl.

• Like 6

The video looked like he missed and was going to try it again…then it ended. I know he could do it, but couldn’t tell really in this. 
just read his write up on Iron Minds website and he talked about his biceps muscle spasms so I know why he put it down quickly. 

Edited by slazbob
  • Like 4

55 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Wow!!! :ohmy

CONGRATULATIONS CARL!!!

Simply incredible. You stand alone. :bow

• Like 4

Easily the greatest strength achievement of all time. Non-gripper people will never be able to comprehend what this actually entails. I know he just did 220 in training. Can't wait to find out the rating of this one

• Like 5

Finally, after years of believing this feat is achievable with the right training methods, it's done.

Congratulations Carl!

• Like 4

What an achievement! Congratulations!!!

Edited by Alex K
  • Like 4

Obviously huge congrats to Carl and I’m not trying to be a hater but that is one of the worst record gripper close videos I have ever seen…… super far away and a downward close….held for a quick moment so far away. I have to be honest I expected more from a documentation stand point for such a historic close. I’m an mm judge and experienced gripper closer whos hard on his own videos as a perfectionist. Im saying this as an mm7 closer who closed that gripper 3 times better with better video than this and the judges on this forum didn’t pass all 3 when they where way more obvious and Better videoed than this one close. I still passed but not all 3 closes and I closed them all. Not saying he didn’t close it, but that video is just sub par for me for record that has been chased for so long 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 15

For anyone who Doubts me, I took video of an off hand 180lb rgc coc 3.5 close and deemed this a miss…..just to show you how close you can get and still miss. I went frame by frame in super slow motion and called my own close a miss……when many would say it’s closed with bad video 

F0385054-5C26-4F90-AA6E-2C56BC5A6DB6.jpeg

• Like 5

I do feel like the video wad very hard to judge by, Carl also mentioned this in his IM post. Might have been a miss by like 2-3mm, but it wouldn’t be visible from a distance. 
I do believe Carl that he closed it (he closed a 220 rated 4 recently), but having a super clear video would‘ve been epic.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, C8Myotome said:

Easily the greatest strength achievement of all time. Non-gripper people will never be able to comprehend what this actually entails. I know he just did 220 in training. Can't wait to find out the rating of this one

Frankly, it deserves mainstream media coverage but people have no idea this was the level of major human race accomplishments.  IMO.

• Like 6

A grip legend forever :rock

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Chez said:

Obviously huge congrats to Carl and I’m not trying to be a hater but that is one of the worst record gripper close videos I have ever seen…… super far away and a downward close….held for a quick moment so far away.

It’s not hate to scrutinize with fair reason. I was in a Culver’s waiting for custard when I saw the headline and reacted off the fact that IronMind cleared him. Ultimately, it’s their cert and if it’s good for them..that’s who it has to be good for.

Having since watched the video, the swipe was controlled and the only requirement is that the handles touch, even for a split second. It’s fair to mention the video makes that difficult to see. IronMind saw a close. 

Every gripper video I’ve seen from Carl was hands only in frame. He could have received instruction from IM on their desired video. They could have asked for a wider shot, maybe even for the mass media reasons discussed above; so that you can see a person doing something and not just disembodied hands. That’s only a guess, I don’t know.

We have come to be spoiled by Carl’s incredible training videos. I feel there is no question of his strength. As with other trailblazers in sports, his accomplishment will likely pave the way for others. 

Congratulations again Carl! :rock

• Like 13

Congratulations to Carl on the #4 Certification. He held the gripper open for OVER 5 seconds prior to crush - out of this universe strength. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Congratulations to Carl on the #4 Certification. He held the gripper open for OVER 5 seconds prior to crush - out of this universe strength. 

I know that was very intense... 

Seriously, i'm not a gripper guy. I respect them and i'll  plan on training them some day.  Just dont do much for me.

That alone was very impressive to me.

• Like 3

For a no doubter close, there is a particular spot on the bottom of the handles that will show a definite close of a gripper.  The loacation of the finger handle will be at the 3 o'clock position. The handle of the palm will be at the 9 o'clock position. These are roughly the main positions where the bevels are touching for a spot on close.  I feel the position of the 3.5 attempt in this thread should be the required showing of the handles to view the 3 and 9 o'clock touch.  As a former Mash Monster judge that was how I determined a certified close.  

Let me add this; the 3 o'clock finger and 9 o'clock palm is for a right handed attemept. Left handed, of course, would be opposite

Edited by Rick Browne