Is a COC #3 cert attainable in 6 months? Time to find out....

Gripsta2323

Hey all, I've dabbled with grip in the past, but haven't trained anything related for years now. I've got the itch again, so want to see how much progress I can make in 6 months time, and trying to see how close I can get to a COC #3 cert (or just CCS a few different rated #3s). 

When I stopped doing grip related training, I sold off all my equipment, so am starting fresh with some new grippers. I'll fill in some holes with some rated grippers from CannonPowerworks here shortly, but for the first month or two, I just grabbed:

- the full Grip Genie grippers set (1-6)

- set of Genie extensor bands

- a pony pinch kit

- the bumper (no idea how this works, but decided to snag it just as an add-on)

- setting blocks

Reading Cannon's rated grippers, I'm seeing that the Grip Genie average ratings match up to COCs around:

- a GG1 being roughly equivalent on average to between a COC sport and COC trainer

- a GG2 being roughly equivalent on average to slightly less than a COC .5

- a GG3 being roughly equivalent on average to a slightly harder than average COC 1.5

- a GG4 being roughly equivalent on average to a VERY hard COC #2, or a VERY light COC #2.5, so somewhere between a COC 2 and COC 2.5 as an estimate

- a GG5 being roughly equivalent on average to a slightly less than average COC #3

- a GG6 being roughly equivalent on average to a harder than average COC #3.5

I probably should have had these rated, but wanted to get them as soon as possible to start gripping, and then focus more on the more granular stuff later on once I've formed some base gripping strength again. (Update: I was able to message Cannon, and they responded super quickly...order hadn't yet shipped, so they added rating to all 6).

I'm currently in the gym 4-5x a week, and in a calorie deficit, but my plan will still be a 2-3x a week gripper workout alongside my normal gym routine, and thinking something like this:

- Day 1: 5-8 sets of singles/doubles, focusing on successful closes only. Extensor work as well.

- Day 2: Speed work with a lower gripper, 4-5 sets of multiple reps focusing on speed. Extensor work as well.

- Day 3: Heavy negatives with goal gripper or a gripper slightly above goal gripper. 3-4 sets. Light thumb work, or setting practice.

I found one stray gripper that I must not have sold, a COC 1.5 rated at 91lbs, so I'll make use of that this week until I receive my order. 

Thanks for taking a look, and let me know any thoughts or suggestions you guys might have along the way!

• Like 2

1/29 - First workout in the books.

COC 1.5

Right - MMS, 8 sets of 5 reps

Left, MMS, 8 sets of 5 reps

High rep finisher: 25 reps right, 15 reps left

Cheers!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cannon said:

You can do it!

Thanks! And thank you once again for your speedy response in chat today, and for accommodating my request to have those grippers rated even after my order was placed. Really appreciate the top notch service!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cannon Powerworks is the best.

Good luck on your grip Journey, looking forward to see your progress.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, John Knowlton said:

Cannon Powerworks is the best.

Good luck on your grip Journey, looking forward to see your progress.

Thanks John! Will be following yours as well. Just checked it out, and some really cool implements you've made!

• Like 1

I attempted the coc3 cert in less than 6 months of training and got flagged for swiping the card too quickly and not holding the close long enough

If that is your goal I would recommend not using grip genie at all. They have very narrow cheap generic springs and thin handles. CoC have thicker handles and wider handle spreads. You may feel strong on grip genie and then not as strong on CoC. my grip genie pr is 6 lbs rgc heavier than my CoC pr.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

I attempted the coc3 cert in less than 6 months of training and got flagged for swiping the card too quickly and not holding the close long enough

If that is your goal I would recommend not using grip genie at all. They have very narrow cheap generic springs and thin handles. CoC have thicker handles and wider handle spreads. You may feel strong on grip genie and then not as strong on CoC. my grip genie pr is 6 lbs rgc heavier than my CoC pr.

Thanks sir! That's all great info. 

Honestly the set just seemed like a good deal to grab a range of grippers in one go to get going again, but I'll definitely be adding and doing the majority of my working sets on COCs. I plan on grabbing a couple 2.5s, a few 3s, and a 3.5 next month, hopefully I can find some that are already rated and a few lb gaps in between each.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

There is a reason they're one of the cheapest brands

yes, other stuff they make is good... Their RGT is top notch... not impressed with their grippers... Buying the b stock ones for filing purposes isn't a bad route though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

yes, other stuff they make is good... Their RGT is top notch... not impressed with their grippers... Buying the b stock ones for filing purposes isn't a bad route though.

Yeah the RGT is great, it's something they actually developed on their own. Their grippers look cool but that's really it...same springs as heavy grips, "gripzilla" (lol) and so many other cookie cutter brands that all buy the same springs and just put handles on them, compared to companies that actually make their own springs (coc, ghp, standard, tetting). I haven't bought any of their hub/pinch block etc because it is exact clones of so many other pieces of equipment that already exist from other brands, I haven't looked at the prices but I'm guessing they're just trying to undercut more popular brands.

The only revisions GG has done of their gripper line up is change the colors of one of the handles which at the end of the day nobody few people really cares about, it's still the same gripper. Putting a star wars logo on the handle doesn't make it any different, it's still just a heavy grips spring in there. And a 2 mm deeper close from thin handles is not that big of a selling point when you can just file any gripper to even more than that. The only thing they can stamp on the handle to make me buy more grip genies is a winning lottery number on the handle.

• Like 4

I really like the finish on Grip Genie’s equipment such as Ball, Hub, Block and Hilt. It’s the exact correct surface IMO

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I really like the finish on Grip Genie’s equipment such as Ball, Hub, Block and Hilt. It’s the exact correct surface IMO

Yes, everything else they sell is great.  Dont want to sound like I was bad mouthing them I really like Jujimufu.  

And their grippers aren't a bad buy. But there are just better options.  Like I said the RGT is incredible, the hub is great and pinch block is great... Never used the Rolling Thunder, but I have no desire. I feel like i'd be pulling 15-25lbs more on the RT from what i've read about their differences. 

• Like 1

Speaking of RGT someone posted on IG yesterday that the same exact RGT (minus the GG logo) is being sold in at least 2 other countries under a different product name, but it is the exact same piece of equipment, so who knows who actually developed it. One of them is from "Golden Grips".

2 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Yes, everything else they sell is great.  Dont want to sound like I was bad mouthing them I really like Jujimufu.  

And their grippers aren't a bad buy. But there are just better options.  Like I said the RGT is incredible, the hub is great and pinch block is great... Never used the Rolling Thunder, but I have no desire. I feel like i'd be pulling 15-25lbs more on the RT from what i've read about their differences. 

I pull 65+ lbs more on the rolling thunder than the RGT. They are VERY different.

On 1/29/2023 at 10:18 AM, Gripsta2323 said:

Hey all, I've dabbled with grip in the past, but haven't trained anything related for years now. I've got the itch again, so want to see how much progress I can make in 6 months time, and trying to see how close I can get to a COC #3 cert (or just CCS a few different rated #3s). 

When I stopped doing grip related training, I sold off all my equipment, so am starting fresh with some new grippers. I'll fill in some holes with some rated grippers from CannonPowerworks here shortly, but for the first month or two, I just grabbed:

- the full Grip Genie grippers set (1-6)

- set of Genie extensor bands

- a pony pinch kit

- the bumper (no idea how this works, but decided to snag it just as an add-on)

- setting blocks

Reading Cannon's rated grippers, I'm seeing that the Grip Genie average ratings match up to COCs around:

- a GG1 being roughly equivalent on average to between a COC sport and COC trainer

- a GG2 being roughly equivalent on average to slightly less than a COC .5

- a GG3 being roughly equivalent on average to a slightly harder than average COC 1.5

- a GG4 being roughly equivalent on average to a VERY hard COC #2, or a VERY light COC #2.5, so somewhere between a COC 2 and COC 2.5 as an estimate

- a GG5 being roughly equivalent on average to a slightly less than average COC #3

- a GG6 being roughly equivalent on average to a harder than average COC #3.5

I probably should have had these rated, but wanted to get them as soon as possible to start gripping, and then focus more on the more granular stuff later on once I've formed some base gripping strength again. (Update: I was able to message Cannon, and they responded super quickly...order hadn't yet shipped, so they added rating to all 6).

I'm currently in the gym 4-5x a week, and in a calorie deficit, but my plan will still be a 2-3x a week gripper workout alongside my normal gym routine, and thinking something like this:

- Day 1: 5-8 sets of singles/doubles, focusing on successful closes only. Extensor work as well.

- Day 2: Speed work with a lower gripper, 4-5 sets of multiple reps focusing on speed. Extensor work as well.

- Day 3: Heavy negatives with goal gripper or a gripper slightly above goal gripper. 3-4 sets. Light thumb work, or setting practice.

I found one stray gripper that I must not have sold, a COC 1.5 rated at 91lbs, so I'll make use of that this week until I receive my order. 

Thanks for taking a look, and let me know any thoughts or suggestions you guys might have along the way!

Good luck!  What was your previous strength level on grippers?

• Thanks 1

I started focusing my training on grip in September 2022, and I got my IronMind cert in November 2022.  I had casually trained grippers off and on for years before that, and I could already close the 2.5 when I started getting serious about going after the 3.  By casually training, I mean I'd just randomly squeeze the thing to show off or just to see if my grip had gotten any stronger from my other training.  The first gripper I ever tried to close was a 2, and I got it on my first try.  So...genetics, prior training, etc., go a long way in determining your potential and speed of progression.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dubyagrip said:

I started focusing my training on grip in September 2022, and I got my IronMind cert in November 2022.  I had casually trained grippers off and on for years before that, and I could already close the 2.5 when I started getting serious about going after the 3.  By casually training, I mean I'd just randomly squeeze the thing to show off or just to see if my grip had gotten any stronger from my other training.  The first gripper I ever tried to close was a 2, and I got it on my first try.  So...genetics, prior training, etc., go a long way in determining your potential and speed of progression.

That's pretty insane.... Any advice you'd offer for someone that's not as genetically gifted as yourself?

Just now, Gripsta2323 said:

That's pretty insane.... Any advice you'd offer for someone that's not as genetically gifted as yourself?

Pick better parents in the next life. :) 

I'm teasing.

I'd say just be consistent, focus more on recovery than you think you need to, and if some other activity or training seems to be interfering with your progress, stop it until you've reached your grip goal if it is that important to you.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Good luck!  What was your previous strength level on grippers?

Hey jchapman! Think my best close a medium (can't remember RGC) COC #3 with a MMS. I was doing a lot at the time, with my main focus on armwrestling. So hoping with a more narrow focus this time, I'll make decent progress, but hard to say... getting older now, and many more distractions too. We'll see!

• Like 1

Just now, dubyagrip said:

Pick better parents in the next life. :) 

I'm teasing.

I'd say just be consistent, focus more on recovery than you think you need to, and if some other activity or training seems to be interfering with your progress, stop it until you've reached your grip goal if it is that important to you.

hahaha, thanks man, and appreciate the sound advice.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gripsta2323 said:

hahaha, thanks man, and appreciate the sound advice.

no problem, good luck.

1/31 

COC 1.5

Right - parallel depth closes, 10 sets of 6 reps

Left, parallel depth closes, 10 sets of 6 reps

Ordered a filed COC #1.5, a COC #2, #2.5, and #3 today as well.

Edited by Gripsta2323
  • Like 6

2/3

Right:

GG4 (112) - 5 sets of 2, all successful reps

Left:

GG3 (92) - 5 sets of 4 + bumper with 4 rotations

Extensor work to finish.

COC grippers coming next week!

• Like 6