Failed CoC 3 certification

insane.warrior

Okay guys, this post is about "unofficial" CoC certification rules.

I won’t list the whole private texting - it is not ethical and polite. Just want to share with you all the key points mentioned in the dialog.

It would be especially useful for those of you who have plans to pass CoC certification.

Yesterday I decided to change my CC swipe technique, film a video and send it IM in order to initiate a new certification..

I used a CC as a setting block - turned it perpendicular to the handles and inserted.

Made three successful attempts with the 10 minutes break between each close.

Sent the last video, fill free to review and decide for yourself if it‘s a legal starting position.

Here is a link:

Hopefully it is clear that the card perfectly fits between the handles touching them from the inside. It is not folded in any way, etc.

BUT it was still not enough 🤷‍♂️

WAT (ШТА, WUT) - мем с бабушкой

The feedback was:

“This is better but still not quite right: what you have to do is show that the gap between the handles is wider than the credit card, so open up the gripper a little more, show the card fits between the ends of the handle and then slam it shut.”

I answered that:

"The problem with opening the gripper even wider is that with every millimeter I tremendously decrease the leverage.

I don't have a huge palm, unfortunately. That's the reason why I open my hand "just right".
I will figure out some custom plastic card that is wider than a regular credit card. 58-60 mm wide.
Will be training on it until the certification."

Received:
"No need to use a wider card—just open up the gripper another 2 or 3 mm and that will probably be all you need to have a legal start."

My answer:
"From my perspective, I kindly advise you to update CoC certification rules to avoid future misunderstandings and confusion.
The rules should contain photos and videos with the correct and legal position with detailed explanations.
Because at this moment there is no such a rule which expects the athlete to open the handles wider than a credit card."

Last one, received:
"The more someone finesses the starting position, the more the pause is needed but if there is a clearly-wide-enough gap for the starting position and the card goes through the ends of the handle, this demonstration can go quite quickly."

The last quote clearly represents the criteria used unofficially by IM judges:
1) СС just right between handles - you should stop and stay there with a card between the handles for X seconds  (X, as for me, should be at least 5 seconds)
2) there is a space to land a starship between the handles - you may start to close pretty fast

I hope that this information will help you out guys.

As for me, I already crafted a 61 mm wide plastic card (random number >= 54 mm).
I will be working towards closing grippers from that width as well as static holds for time with the ~60mm set.

Wish you best 🤝
Edited by insane.warrior
  • Like 5

34 minutes ago, insane.warrior said:

Okay guys, this post is about "unofficial" CoC certification rules.

I won’t list the whole private texting - it is not ethical and polite. Just want to share with you all the key points mentioned in the dialog.

It would be especially useful for those of you who have plans to pass CoC certification.

Yesterday I decided to change my CC swipe technique, film a video and send it IM in order to initiate a new certification..

I used a CC as a setting block - turned it perpendicular to the handles and inserted.

Made three successful attempts with the 10 minutes break between each close.

Sent the last video, fill fee to review and decide for yourself is it a legal starting position.

Here is a link:

Hopefully it is clear that the card perfectly fits between the handles touching them from the inside. It is not folded in any way, etc.

BUT

The feedback was:

“This is better but still not quite right: what you have to do is show that the gap between the handles is wider than the credit card, so open up the gripper a little more, show the card fits between the ends of the handle and then slam it shut.”

I answered that:

"The problem with opening the gripper even wider is that with every millimeter I tremendously decrease the leverage.

I don't have a huge palm, unfortunately. That's the reason why I open my hand "just right".
I will figure out some custom plastic card that is wider than a regular credit card. 58-60 mm wide.
Will be training on it until the certification."

Received:
"No need to use a wider card—just open up the gripper another 2 or 3 mm and that will probably be all you need to have a legal start."

My answer:
"From my perspective, I kindly advise you to update CoC certification rules to avoid future misunderstandings and confusion.
The rules should contain photos and videos with the correct and legal position with detailed explanations.
Because at this moment there is no such a rule which expects the athlete to open the handles wider than a credit card."

Last one, received:
"The more someone finesses the starting position, the more the pause is needed but if there is a clearly-wide-enough gap for the starting position and the card goes through the ends of the handle, this demonstration can go quite quickly."

The last quote clearly represents the criteria used unofficially by IM judges:
1) СС just right between handles - you should stop and stay there with a card between the handles for X seconds  (X, as for me, should be at least 5 seconds)
2) there is a space to land a starcraft between the handles - you may start to close pretty fast

I hope that this information will help you out guys.

As for me, I already crafted a 61 mm wide plastic card (random number >= 54 mm).
I will be working towards closing grippers from that width as well as static holds for time with the ~60mm set.

Wish you best 🤝

So you actually do have to use a slightly wider set.

This is exactly what I thought after watching numerous certifications getting declined.

• Like 2

Not sure how long it has been since I read the rules. Sure looks like Rule #4 is more specific and restrictive than it used to be. Reading through it now, I do understand why it was turned down. Yes, it no doubt now adds 2 to 5 pounds of gripper pressure applied to get it done. Depending on who you are, that can be a minor inconvenience or a major hurdle. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, insane.warrior said:

Wish you best 🤝

Bravo

• Like 1

Ya. That should have passed. The one good thing about ironmind allowing certs by video is that it obviously makes the logistics of the cert way easier since they don’t need to find a judge near you and you don’t have to coordinate meeting with them. But the video process definitely allows them to more strictly judge the close. That would have totally passed with an in person judge and I agree with you if they want the start position that strict they should create a set block like ghp has since the card deforms very easily

sorry about the cert but you will kill it next time 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You should do the cert like the guy named Silverback did his ccs…he held the card with the handles and then opened the handles to let the card drop. Haha…he was a showman but not known to be on the level. His videos are gone…but I remember that ccs he did and I liked it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Another choice:

I remember this vid and he rated it after admitted it was a super light 3. He got lucky with a light 3 

• Like 1

Just to add something to the discussion this is my precertification video after my first got turned down just exctly because of the card insert not being clear enough. 

Also fun fact I was the first to certify with a video I believe. I first msged Ironmind 19/6 2020 and got the response that they didnt do any certifications due to the corona virus. Then they got back to me 2/9 2020 and asked me to show a video of me closing the gripper. The day after Randall msged me and said  "Because it appears that COVID-19 is not vanishing any time soon, and because we don’t want to encourage potentially risky behavior, but also want to give guys the credit they are due, IronMind is piloting video-based certifications."

And here is the cert:

Edited by Lennix
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Chez said:

sorry about the cert but you will kill it next time 

Thank you, Chez!

The battle never ends.

P.S. you know it better than anyone 😉 Good luck with MM8, you're veeeery close.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, slazbob said:

You should do the cert like the guy named Silverback did his ccs…he held the card with the handles and then opened the handles to let the card drop. Haha…he was a showman but not known to be on the level. His videos are gone…but I remember that ccs he did and I liked it.

Sounds awesome :)) I would love to try this method just for fun.

I also love the way Adriane Blewitt mashed her CoC 2.

Unpopular setting technique, here is a vid.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lennix said:

Also fun fact I was the first to certify with a video I believe. I first msged Ironmind 19/6 2020 and got the response that they didnt do any certifications due to the corona virus. Then they got back to me 2/9 2020 and asked me to show a video of me closing the gripper. The day after Randall msged me and said  "Because it appears that COVID-19 is not vanishing any time soon, and because we don’t want to encourage potentially risky behavior, but also want to give guys the credit they are due, IronMind is piloting video-based certifications."

That is interesting! Thanks for sharing the story behind.

I remember when I first saw your video I was very excited 🙂

Not only about your crush strength but also because I have never ever heard about the judge from Ukraine => there was no way to certify here.

You helped us a lot, Thom 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Everything you talk about here is bullshit. Here is a video of Artur Yumaguzhin valid certification, athlete from Russia. As it said - find ten differences and get a prize. On the first closing, he bent the card to fit between the handles. There was no more than 50mm. Left did not close at all. And only on the third attempt he close the already weakened spring from a wide position. All this is a fierce fight. Randy does what he wants. And counts  what he wants. Good mood - white flag. Didn't get enough sleep - try next time with a pause. Against the backdrop of this story, my dislike for him goes to the level of hatred.

Edited by Cannon
PM'd you about your comments.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, insane.warrior said:

I also love the way Adriane Blewitt mashed her CoC 2.

Unpopular setting technique, here is a vid.

Dude she had that DOWN. And Sorin was quick with the "go" command too. That's about as smooth as it can get. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Cannon said:

huh?

I think what Ivan is trying to say is that after the gripper was opened, it was squeezed twice. It is a well known fact that CoC grippers (and many other ones) lose a lot in the spread between the handles after the very first reps. And sometimes they even lose some resistance.

And since Artur did the correct rep only from the third try, it might be performed on the a little bit weakened spring. Which is not that fair after all :)

3 minutes ago, insane.warrior said:

I think what Ivan is trying to say is that after the gripper was opened, it was squeezed twice. It is a well known fact that CoC grippers (and many other ones) lose a lot in the spread between the handles after the very first reps. And sometimes they even lose some resistance.

And since Artur did the correct rep only from the third try, it might be performed on the a little bit weakened spring. Which is not that fair after all :)

I believe IronMind has clarified (I think even here on the GripBoard) that you CAN oil the gripper and work it a little if you want before your cert. There is no requirement that you cert is the first close of the gripper. I'll see if I can find the post. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cannon said:

believe IronMind has clarified (I think even here on the GripBoard) that you CAN oil the gripper and work it a little if you want before your cert. There is no requirement that you cert is the first close of the gripper. I'll see if I can find the post. 

Yeah :)) I have seen that post recently and liked it, maybe that is the reason you remembered that :))

The funny thing is, that it is not mentioned in the rules.

And I have to say, same thing again… No strict instructions. Poor description about what is allowed, what is expected.

Finally, as for me I don’t think it’s fair to oil the spring on the cert. Everybody was closing squeaky grippers.

This is a bad but old tradition :))

P.S. what if rule #2 directly restricts oiling the gripper?

2. The gripper cannot have been modified or tampered with in any way.”

Edited by insane.warrior

15 minutes ago, insane.warrior said:

P.S. what if rule #2 directly restricts oiling the gripper?

2. The gripper cannot have been modified or tampered with in any way.”

It doesn't though :) . If I remember the reply correctly it was punctuated with something like "oiling the spring is simply good maintenance."   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, insane.warrior said:

When you get the next gripper, lubricate it with silicone and do 10-20 chestcrushes. Let's see how Ironmind eats this))) 

• Haha 1