Bought a set of heavy grips grippers! Arrived today on 10 01 2022 wooo!

Fibro229

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Well, i'm certainly stronger now, but i don't deadlift or anything so no fair way to measure. i'm mainly a gymnastic ring pushup,row and dip, kinda guy plus kettlebells and sandbag, always in a circuit. Which is great, but I had to stop training like that because it don't work for me and grip stuff.  I've lost 20lbs in the last year and my forearms are the same, if not slightly bigger. So i'd say they beefed up.   

Balls to the wall means full steam ahead... you know high intensity.. Gotta have light days once in awhile..

Makes sense, what were your gripper stats when you started?

I see now haha. 

Edited by Fibro229

5 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

I chalk everything but most people only chalk their palm.

thickbar means an axle bar or fatgripz.

you can buy a pair of fatgripz and you can put them on any bar or dumbbell.

just type Fatgripz in google.

I see, I may check that out. Would it be wise to attach it to a pull up bar, then do dead hangs?

Also, what's your opinion on the Eagle loops? I'm thinking of it for direct finger tendon strength.

Thanks.

43 minutes ago, Fibro229 said:

I see, I may check that out. Would it be wise to attach it to a pull up bar, then do dead hangs?

Also, what's your opinion on the Eagle loops? I'm thinking of it for direct finger tendon strength.

Thanks.

Hanging from a bar isn't that good for grip strength.

Attach them to a bar and do pull ups instead. and use the fatgripz for rows and deadlifts

Don't get eagle loops  you are at a huge risk of tearing finger pulleys.

Finger lifts are dangerous just do pinch for finger strength.

Edited by DevilErik

24 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Hanging from a bar isn't that good for grip strength.

Attach them to a bar and do pull ups instead. and use the fatgripz for rows and deadlifts

Don't get eagle loops  you are at a huge risk of tearing finger pulleys.

Finger lifts are dangerous just do pinch for finger strength.

Hmmm, how come dead hanging isn't that good and how does simply doing a pull up make it any different?

Hmmm, so how can I train to be able to do pinky pull ups or single finger lifts? I feel as if tendon strength is missing from conventional grip training.

Thanks.

Edited by Fibro229

5 minutes ago, Fibro229 said:

Hmmm, how come dead hanging isn't that good and how does simply doing a pull up make it any different?

Hmmm, so how can I train to be able to do pinky pull ups or single finger lifts? 

Thanks.

I have no idea why this is just what everyone in the grip world says.

I have heard of people having great results with pull ups though.

I personally prefer rows and deadlifts.

I wouldn't do pinky pull ups or single finger lifts they are very dangerous and can destroy your hands for life.

Edited by DevilErik

18 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

I wouldn't do pinky pull ups or single finger lifts they are very dangerous and can destroy your hands for life.

Hmmm okay I see, I guess the TUT during the pull ups would be like 20 seconds. Surely the forearm/grip is the same in the dead hang?

So how would a person train to achieve stuff like this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HbuxnLIxa4A

32 minutes ago, Fibro229 said:

Hmmm, so how can I train to be able to do pinky pull ups or single finger lifts? I feel as if tendon strength is missing from conventional grip training.

Thanks.

Weighted dead hangs are very good for grip- no doubt! I have done weighted dead hangs with Fat Gripz for a few years and my thick bar was excellent(Inch Db lift, 200 lb 1 arm IM Axle, 206 lb 2.25" crusher, 105 lb Wrist Wrench, etc.) I know quite a few grip guys who dead hang. Great for grip and also to decompress spine.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Weighted dead hangs are very good for grip- no doubt! I have done weighted dead hangs with Fat Gripz for a few years and my thick bar was excellent(Inch Db lift, 200 lb 1 arm IM Axle, 206 lb 2.25" crusher, 105 lb Wrist Wrench, etc.) I know quite a few grip guys who dead hang. Great for grip and also to decompress spine.

Thanks for chiming in man!

This is what I had heard I don't really have an opinion on it myself.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

Dead hangs aren't common because many grip guys are fat, so it becomes a very difficult exercise. Everybody should them tho even if just for the elbow, shoulder, and spine health benefits. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Fibro229 said:

Hmmm okay I see, I guess the TUT during the pull ups would be like 20 seconds. Surely the forearm/grip is the same in the dead hang?

Time under tension is the most useless thing there is in my opinion.

I have never counted it and it's a bodybuilder bro term in my opinion.

I have no idea how to achieve something like this I personally wouldn't risk it it is super dangerous.

I am not going to give tips  either because I don't want my advice to hurt people in any way shape or form.

I would NEVER try this.

Edited by DevilErik

2 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

Dead hangs aren't common because many grip guys are fat, so it becomes a very difficult exercise. Everybody should them tho even if just for the elbow, shoulder, and spine health benefits. 

Hahahah 

I agree with the elbow shoulder and spine health benefits.

I just don't know anything about  deadhangs for grip.

Grip wise they are useless to me and they have never helped me in any way.

Edited by DevilErik

6 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Hahahah 

I agree with the elbow shoulder and spine health benefits.

I just don't know anything about  deadhangs for grip.

Grip wise they are useless to me and they have never helped me in any way.

You can add weight, or use one hand or thick grips to make it more difficult. Try hanging one handed from a thick towel and you'll find a deadhang can become quite challenging. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

You can add weight, or use one hand or thick grips to make it more difficult. Try hanging one handed from a thick towel and you'll find a deadhang can become quite challenging. 

It's already pretty challenging for me I weigh 265 LBS but despite it being challenging it has never helped my grip in any way.

I am a special little snowflake when it comes to a lot of stuff though that's why I usually don't share the way I train or make progress.

I usually take advice given by more experienced gripsters and try to help out beginners with that.

The deadhangs or (hanging from a pull up bar) not helping your grip comes from Jedd.

I am subscribed to his youtube channel and this came up in one of his q&a's if I remember correctly.

Edited by DevilErik

37 minutes ago, Fibro229 said:

You can train each finger individually in the same way every other exercise progress, start with tiny weights and add them slowly overtime. I would never recommend anybody do this because people aren't patient enough, they try to hard, they don't rest, and they get injured for no reason over a silly party trick. 

Sure deadhangs doesnt do anything for the grip. It's basically the only thing you're using when you're doing them :laugh

Of all the stupid things I've read, it has to be the dumbest shit I've read in a good while.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Sure deadhangs doesnt do anything for the grip. It's basically the only thing you're using when you're doing them :laugh

Of all the stupid things I've read, it has to be the dumbest shit I've read in a good while.

It didn't do anything for me.

6 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

It didn't do anything for me.

Your initial statement was a lot more bold than that my friend.

• Like 1

Any exercise with your hands is a grip exercise and they all work, just a matter of what your goals are and what you enjoy doing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DevilErik said:

It's most likely because it's a good method for building grip strength. Farmers walk is the biggest challenge in strongman events. If you're good at farmers walk where straps aren't allowed you need to develop a good grip, that's the only way you can be good at it.

World strongest man Martin Licis does one handed deadhangs regularly. He also happens to have one of the strongest hands in the world. Probably not a coincidence.

If you holding on to stuff with your bare hands wasn't a good exercise to build grip strength nobody would do it. Guys like Khaled Jashell used to carry stuff for miles as a kid, no wonder he has strong hands now.

Laine Snook (strongest guy on Rolling handles ever) swears by doing super high reps to build up his strength.

A lot of good climbers have super strong grip. They didn't get it only from eating bananas. They got it from a lot of TUT, using their fingers.

6 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

Any exercise with your hands is a grip exercise and they all work, just a matter of what your goals are and what you enjoy doing. 

Of course but hanging (in all different forms) and high reps ( a lot of time under tension) has been proven to be very beneficial for hand strength in particular. If it wasn't, nobody would do it. Fact is, many of the strongest guys does it and thats not a coincidence.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Your initial statement was a lot more bold than that my friend.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

4 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

I have no idea what you are talking about.

At first it sounded like you were saying deadhangs don't work, which is false but later you clarified that they didn't work for you, which is subjective and true. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Climber028 said:

At first it sounded like you were saying deadhangs don't work, which is false but later you clarified that they didn't work for you, which is subjective and true. 

I said:" They aren't that good" meaning they aren't useless but there are better ways to develop your grip strength.

So I still don't understand his reaction lol.

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

Please quote me saying that deadhangs don't do anything for grip strength.

I can't find it anywhere lol.

I said they aren't that good as in there are better ways to develop your grip strength.

Again not my words.

So your comment must be directed at someone else.

Edited by DevilErik

8 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

I said:" They aren't that good" meaning they aren't useless but there are better ways to develop your grip strength.

So I still don't understand his reaction lol.

That's why I said "sounded like" instead of "you said". Phrases have different meanings to different people so you may have been misunderstood, or maybe we all are it doesn't matter.

Regardless, they are good, just like every single exercises is good it all depends on how they are applied relative to one's goals. There's no such thing as a bad exercise. 

• Like 1