Bought a set of heavy grips grippers! Arrived today on 10 01 2022 wooo!

Fibro229

Ready to obliterate grip training. 

Marked the "dogleg" on each of the grippers. 

Started training today on 10 01 2022.

Tested these maxes today too.

Hit:

HG100 easy.

HG150 easyish

HG200 failed, like 3cm away lol. (Crazy how they strength requirements scale so much)

Grip dynamometer:

Left 45.1kg

Right 48.6kg

Pictures taken in bathroom, standard unchangeable lighting no pump today on 10 01 2022. (Haven't trained in weeks)

Will report back soon! Any advice?

Thanks!

EDIT: Thought I'd add some strength feats for reference. Can hit a +85kg chinup, never deadlifted lol :(

Screenshot_20220111-003803_Photos.jpg

20220110_161249.jpg

20220110_161232.jpg

20220110_155312.jpg

Screenshot_20220111-005333_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220111-005241_Photos.jpg

Edited by Fibro229
  • Like 1

What are your long term goals?

Do you want to close big grippers or do you want to train for general hand strength?

The carry over from grippers to other stuff is minimal though but you can still get some depending on your training style.

Also grip strength and  forearm size are not as correlated as  the size and strength of other muscles within the same  person.

There are some absolute grip freaks that have puny forearms (compared to their grip strength).

Grip training contributes but most people will not get big forearms from just training their grip.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DevilErik said:

What are your long term goals?

Do you want to close big grippers or do you want to train for general hand strength?

The carry over from grippers to other stuff is minimal though but you can still get some depending on your training style.

Also grip strength and  forearm size are not as correlated as  the size and strength of other muscles within the same  person.

There are some absolute grip freaks that have puny forearms (compared to their grip strength).

Grip training contributes but most people will not get big forearms from just training their grip.

Hi, thanks for your response. 

I want to be able to close the heaviest grippers. I'm not sure, I think general hand strength is rectified though hand extensor training? Or is that not the idea? (Or is that more like pinching and finger tendon strength training?)

Hmmm, thanks for explaining. I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks.

7 minutes ago, Fibro229 said:

Hi, thanks for your response. 

I want to be able to close the heaviest grippers. I'm not sure, I think general hand strength is rectified though hand extensor training? Or is that not the idea? (Or is that more like pinching and finger tendon strength training?)

Hmmm, thanks for explaining. I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks.

General hand strength means carry over to other stuff or "real world" strength

Grippers only make you better at closing grippers there isn't much carry over to anything else however you can get some carry over to "real world" stuff with certain grippers that make your hand go through a more natural range of motion

Or certain training styles that have more carry over to the "real world".

But since you just want to be able to close the heaviest grippers I would recommend that you learn how to "set " first.

Meaning that you use your other hand to close the gripper a certain distance and position the gripper in such a way it maximises your leverages thus giving you the highest chance of closing a gripper.

Watch this video and master this technique this is super important.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

These partials train the hardest part of the gripper close which is the final part of the range of motion.

The first part of the range of motion is called the "sweep" and the final part is the "close".

These partials have carry over to the rest of the range of motion due to it being the hardest part.

You can find all other "sets" on the gripboard.

You also have a CCS for example which is a credit card set used in certifications.

This means that you have to set the gripper and then swipe the top part of a credit card through the handles and then close it.

Read this:

https://cannonpowerworks.com/blogs/grip-strength/why-set-a-gripper

And this:

https://cannonpowerworks.com/pages/grip-strength-ratings-data

We use something called RGC so that we are able to compare different brands.

A 300 lbs gripper isn't 300 lbs

Edited by DevilErik
  • Thanks 1

Grippers cover the crush part of grip training but in order to stay balanced you should also incorperate pinch,thick bar and wrist training.

I would highly recommend an 8 lbs sledgehammer for wrist training.

You can train all angles of the wrist with it and you can choke up on the handle.

For thick bar I would. highly recommend a pair of fatgripz or manus grips you can put them on barbells and dumbbells.

Blue fatgripz for smaller hands or Extremes for larger hands.

For pinch you can take 2 35 lbs plates (smooth sides out) and put a pipe through them and secure them with clamps or Collars.

You can pinch it with 2 hands and micro load it with plates.

Make sure the edges of your platss aren't sharp or else they cut up the webbing of your thumb.

You can put a towel over the plates and pinch the towel.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/health-fitness/fitness/molding-a-mighty-grip-strength/

Read this.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I first started training with grippers I would do a warming up then do a max and then 3 triples with 3-5 minutes between sets.

Twice a week

This worked really well for me and got my tendons ready for the program I am using right now.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Thanks 1

The last thing I wanted to add is PLEASE treat grippers with respect treat them like a heavy deadlift don't just play around with them because they can SERIOUSLY mess you up.

Make sure to warm up properly and do your finger extensor work for recovery.

I  do 3 sets to failure and 2 holds to failure with extensor bands after every session.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask or you could just create a topic.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 3

Welcome to the gripboard ,graduations on your purchase.

Being consistent and mixing things up you’ll do just fine

• Like 3

Yes learn the set, and don't over do it, as addictive as they can be.  COC grippers where the first thing i bought... And I can only still close a 1.5, came close to closing a 2 a few times. But that's because I never was allowing my hands to rest and I was making it harder by not learning the proper technique.  Since, training smarter progression has been more steady... Rubberbands around the fingers are great and stretch. AND honestly, pick up a sledgehammer and throw in some pullups and pushups as well for some balance.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DevilErik said:

The last thing I wanted to add is PLEASE treat grippers with respect treat them like a heavy deadlift don't just play around with them because they can SERIOUSLY mess you up.

Make sure to warm up properly and do your finger extensor work for recovery.

I  do 3 sets to failure and 2 holds to failure with extensor bands after every session.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask or you could just create a topic.

Awesome stuff! Appreciate it! (I did see your other messages, won't quote them all)

Actually yeah, I do have a few questions. 

1. Setting the gripper - a lot of the time I noticed people's pinkies are off the edge. Meaning that the Pinky does 0? Isn't it bad to neglect fingers?

2. Gripper carryover- How come there's not much carry over? I would've thought that training grippers would enable you to hold, let's say, a deadlift in an isometric throughout the lift? (Ie, crushing power in an isometric)

3. Extensor balance - I have this Web rubber band. Do I just bang out a random amount of reps to activate the extensors or something? (I feel as if I can't progress this exercise at all)

4. Messing you up - Didn't know that? How can grippers mess you up? I doubt you can tear a finger tendon or get anything insane from grippers? (I have heard that you must train extensors for balance, but is that all?)

That's all.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, John Knowlton said:

Welcome to the gripboard ,graduations on your purchase.

Being consistent and mixing things up you’ll do just fine

:)

I actually picked up the full set for £15, pretty happy I didn't dish out £200 on the set.

Definitely, I've trained at the gym for a while, but never ventured into grip training. Saw Ronnie Coleman doing the Coc 3s and yeah, that was my mind made up haha. Stumbled over Lee Haywards stuff and found it to be an entire sport, crazy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Yes learn the set, and don't over do it, as addictive as they can be.  COC grippers where the first thing i bought... And I can only still close a 1.5, came close to closing a 2 a few times. But that's because I never was allowing my hands to rest and I was making it harder by not learning the proper technique.  Since, training smarter progression has been more steady... Rubberbands around the fingers are great and stretch. AND honestly, pick up a sledgehammer and throw in some pullups and pushups as well for some balance.

Cool! How long have you been training? 

I actually didn't consider stretching. Should I just do the regular forearm stretching stuff against a wall? (Would that suffice?)

I'm training 3x a week, so I guess that is an even spread :)

Thanks.

Just get ready for a crazy ride.

It's very addictive

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Fibro229 said:

Awesome stuff! Appreciate it! (I did see your other messages, won't quote them all)

Actually yeah, I do have a few questions. 

1. Setting the gripper - a lot of the time I noticed people's pinkies are off the edge. Meaning that the Pinky does 0? Isn't it bad to neglect fingers?

2. Gripper carryover- How come there's not much carry over? I would've thought that training grippers would enable you to hold, let's say, a deadlift in an isometric throughout the lift? (Ie, crushing power in an isometric)

3. Extensor balance - I have this Web rubber band. Do I just bang out a random amount of reps to activate the extensors or something? (I feel as if I can't progress this exercise at all)

4. Messing you up - Didn't know that? How can grippers mess you up? I doubt you can tear a finger tendon or get anything insane from grippers? (I have heard that you must train extensors for balance, but is that all?)

That's all.

Thanks!

1.You "split" the pinky with the handle this automatically ensures that your pinky is will be on the handle after setting.

Pinkies are usually off the edge when people are closing it without a set their hands simply aren't big enough.

(Watch the video I shared)

2. Crushing power and support grip(a deadlift) are two different things

Cushing power is dynamic movement.

Support grip is static.

Big deadlifts can help your grippers but it doesn't really work the other way around.

Some people have carry over the majority doesn't.

Grip is CRAZY specific meaning that you basically have to train the things you want to get good at and expect ZERO carry over to other implements.

3. You don't have to progress on it the sole purpose is to "pump up" your hands so that the blood gets to your tendons. Tendons have blood flow that's why it takes so long for them to recover so pumping up your hands with extensor work speeds up this process. You do this AFTER your training

4. Doing grippers with bad technique can tear tendons, give you bad skin tears, damage your joints, bruise your palm etc.

Make sure to use chalk when using grippers, using grippers without chalk can end up damaging your joints because your gripper will slide in your hand and your fingers will wrap around the handles so your fingers close it around the handles so the speak.

They can be VERY dangerous.

Edited by DevilErik

19 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

1.You "split" the pinky with the handle this automatically ensures that your pinky is will be on the handle after setting.

Pinkies are usually off the edge when people are closing it without a set their hands simply aren't big enough.

2. Crushing power and support grip(a deadlift) are two different things

Cushing power is dynamic movement.

Support grip is static.

Big deadlifts can help your grippers but it doesn't really work the other way around.

Some people have carry over the majority doesn't.

Grip is CRAZY specific meaning that you basically have to train the things you want to get good at and expect ZERO carry over to other implements.

3. You don't have to progress on it the sole purpose is to "pump up" your hands so that the blood gets to your tendons. Tendons have blood flow that's why it takes so long for them to recover so pumping up your hands with extensor work speeds up this process.

4. Doing grippers with bad technique can tear tendons, give you bad skin tears, damage your joints, bruise your palm etc.

They can be VERY dangerous.

Thanks, appreciate your response.

1. I see, so the pinky will be trained too? (Don't want it being a ton weaker for no reason). Should I initiate the squeeze with any pinky involvement?

2. Makes sense I guess 😕 In the gym, what will it directly carryover to?

3. Ah okay I'll keep that in mind! Would it make sense to do a bunch extensor reps before grippers? (I actually do a bunch of warmup reps with a lighter gripper, so I'm not sure about doing extensor aswell, sounds like I'll fatigue before I even start my sets)

4. Thanks for informing me on that, do you have any examples of "bad form"? (I may accidentally mess up form when I'm maxing out and not realise it).

5. Also, do you guys keep track with a hand dynamometer? I'm pretty surprised that my regular gym work has had 0 carryover onto my grip. E.g, I can hit a +85kg chin up 1rm yet I don't consider my grip strong at all. Expected forearms to plump up atleast a bit 😕 Proof that gym won't equate to a crushing handshake haha!

Thanks.

EDIT: Saw your edit on chalk, will do that in the future. I've learnt that you're meant to chalk your palms only right?

Edited by Fibro229

25 minutes ago, Fibro229 said:

1. I see, so the pinky will be trained too? (Don't want it being a ton weaker for no reason). Should I initiate the squeeze with any pinky involvement?

3. Ah okay I'll keep that in mind! Would it make sense to do a bunch extensor reps before grippers?

4. Thanks for informing me on that, do you have any examples of "bad form"? (I may accidentally mess up form when I'm maxing out and not realise it).

5. Also, do you guys keep track with a hand dynamometer? I'm pretty surprised that my regular gym work has had 0 carryover onto my grip. E.g, I can hit a +85kg chin up 1rm yet I don't consider my grip strong at all. Proff that gym won't equate to a crushing handshake haha!

Thanks.

1. You set the gripper in such a way that you will also train your pinky (it's in the video)

2. Probably nothing grippers make you better at grippers that's it it usually has ZERO carry over to anything else. 

If you like grippers like me train grippers but they suck for general hand strength.

They are also pretty hard on your recovery.

If you like grippers by all means train grippers but if you want general hand strength thick bar which is open hand support grip is a million times better.

Open hand pinch(wide pinch) (block weights are also crazy good for general hand strength.)

3. No do them after your gripper work just do a warm up with a lighter gripper.

4. Don't worry too much about this just make sure you have proper gripper placement and make sure to set your gripper. (Check the video)

5. Some people do yeah grippers make your dyno stronger but you can't use it to keep track because all dyno's vary.

You could however keep using the same one over and over again and see if you improve but dyno's aren't the same as grippers.

They look similar but they are very diffetent.

Handshake strength is about leverages the larger hand pretty much always wins so training grip does not really work unless you are shaking a smaller hand than yours.

I chalk both my fingers and my palm most people only chalk their palm when using grippers.

Edited by DevilErik

9 minutes ago, Fibro229 said:

3. Ah okay I'll keep that in mind! Would it make sense to do a bunch extensor reps before grippers? (I actually do a bunch of warmup reps with a lighter gripper, so I'm not sure about doing extensor aswell, sounds like I'll fatigue before I even start my sets)

5. Also, do you guys keep track with a hand dynamometer? I'm pretty surprised that my regular gym work has had 0 carryover onto my grip. E.g, I can hit a +85kg chin up 1rm yet I don't consider my grip strong at all. Expected forearms to plump up atleast a bit 😕 Proof that gym won't equate to a crushing handshake haha!

Thanks.

EDIT: Saw your edit on chalk, will do that in the future. I've learnt that you're meant to chalk your palms only right?

28 minutes ago, Fibro229 said:

Cool! How long have you been training? 

I actually didn't consider stretching. Should I just do the regular forearm stretching stuff against a wall? (Would that suffice?)

I'm training 3x a week, so I guess that is an even spread :)

Thanks.

I get on my hands and knees and stretch them and moving them around in all directions, some massaging is good too. I’ve been messing around with grip training for a few years, but really started to take it seriously 6 months ago. Sometimes it just takes awhile of trial and error to find out what works.  3 times is good. What I did for years though was 3 times a week, but every session don’t have to be balls to the wall. Throw a light one in every few weeks.

12 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

1. You set the gripper in such a way that you will also train your pinky (it's in the video)

2. Probably nothing grippers make you better at grippers that's it it usually has ZERO carry over to anything else. 

If you like grippers like me train grippers but they suck for general hand strength.

They are also pretty hard on your recovery.

If you like grippers by all means train grippers but if you want general hand strength thick bar which is open hand support grip is a million times better.

Open hand pinch(wide pinch) (block weights are also crazy good for general hand strength.)

3. No do them after your gripper work just do a warm up with a lighter gripper.

4. Don't worry too much about this just make sure you have proper gripper placement and make sure to set your gripper. (Check the video)

5. Some people do yeah grippers make your dyno stronger but you can't use it to keep track because all dyno's vary.

You could however keep using the same one over and over again and see if you improve but dyno's aren't the same as grippers.

They look similar but they are very diffetent.

Handshake strength is about leverages the larger hand pretty much always wins so training grip does not really work unless you are shaking a smaller hand than yours.

Thanks!

1. I see, thanks for explaining.

2. Hmmm, would've thought that picking dumbbell up would be easier? How would you train pinch and thick bar? Is it using the same principles as deadpan training? (Just static holds for a time, then increase weight)

3. Will do.

4. I see, is it imperative to set it on the heavier lifts? (I noticed that if I can't close a gripper with 1 hand, I still can't close it with 2 hands lol)

5. Cool, I'll keep training with the dynamometer and report back.

Thanks for explaining the hand shake thingy, that was initially a joke, but appreciate it nonetheless :)

11 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I get on my hands and knees and stretch them and moving them around in all directions, some massaging is good too. I’ve been messing around with grip training for a few years, but really started to take it seriously 6 months ago. Sometimes it just takes awhile of trial and error to find out what works.  3 times is good. What I did for years though was 3 times a week, but every session don’t have to be balls to the wall. Throw a light one in every few weeks.

Thanks for letting me know about that!

So how strong were you a few years ago? 6 months ago and now?

Has your forearm beefed up at all?

What's balls to the wall lol. Actually I think I get it, what's the point in throwing in light sessions every so often? Is that like a CNS reset or something?

Thanks!

14 minutes ago, Fibro229 said:

Thanks!

1. I see, thanks for explaining.

2. Hmmm, would've thought that picking dumbbell up would be easier? How would you train pinch and thick bar? Is it using the same principles as deadpan training? (Just static holds for a time, then increase weight)

3. Will do.

4. I see, is it imperative to set it on the heavier lifts? (I noticed that if I can't close a gripper with 1 hand, I still can't close it with 2 hands lol)

5. Cool, I'll keep training with the dynamometer and report back.

Thanks for explaining the hand shake thingy, that was initially a joke, but appreciate it nonetheless :)

2. It depends on the equipment you have.

Most people use a loading pin and weight plates with different handles.

The cheapest way to train thickbar is to get a pair of fatgripz blue ones if your hands are small extremes for bigger hands.

You can put these on barbells and dumbbells.

I personally ramp up to a max and do triples after that.

I would do reps with thickbar and pinch not isometrics.

You should not try to close a gripper with 2 hands.

Please watch the video on how to set.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

2. It depends on the equipment you have.

Most people use a loading pin and weight plates with different handles.

The cheapest way to train thickbar is to get a pair of fatgripz blue ones if your hands are small extremes for bigger hands.

You can put these on barbells and dumbbells.

I personally ramp up to a max and do triples after that.

I would do reps with thickbar and pinch not isometrics.

You should not try to close a gripper with 2 hands.

Please watch the video on how to set.

Cool! 

I saw your other edit about chalk. I thought you're only meant to chalk your palm since your fingers are meant to "glide/smooth over" the gripper throughout the ROM?

Wait, what are you meant to be doing with the thick bar? Dead hangs, deadlifts? I would've thought that you just load a barbell and hold it in a deadlift lockout position? 

How would you do reps with the thickbar?

Why not isometrics? I thought you're meant to do isometrics with pinches anyways?

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Fibro229 said:

Thanks for letting me know about that!

So how strong were you a few years ago? 6 months ago and now?

Has your forearm beefed up at all?

What's balls to the wall lol. Actually I think I get it, what's the point in throwing in light sessions every so often? Is that like a CNS reset or something?

Thanks!

Well, i'm certainly stronger now, but i don't deadlift or anything so no fair way to measure. i'm mainly a gymnastic ring pushup,row and dip, kinda guy plus kettlebells and sandbag, always in a circuit. Which is great, but I had to stop training like that because it don't work for me and grip stuff.  I've lost 20lbs in the last year and my forearms are the same, if not slightly bigger. So i'd say they beefed up.   

Balls to the wall means full steam ahead... you know high intensity.. Gotta have light days once in awhile..

• Like 1

Just now, Fibro229 said:

Cool! 

I saw your other edit about chalk. I thought you're only meant to chalk your palm since your fingers are meant to "glide/smooth over" the gripper throughout the ROM?

Wait, what are you meant to be doing with the thick bar? Dead hangs, deadlifts? I would've thought that you just load a barbell and hold it in a deadlift lockout position? 

How would you do reps with the thickbar?

Why not isometrics? I thought you're meant to do isometrics with pinches anyways?

Thanks.

I chalk everything but most people only chalk their palm.

thickbar means an axle bar or fatgripz.

you can buy a pair of fatgripz and you can put them on any bar or dumbbell.

just type Fatgripz in google.

• Like 1