Block pulls lifetime PR at 580lbs

Terry Conjugate Iron

Don't even know how to describe how it felt. Did 555lbs in 2013 or 14 if I remember correctly. End of 15 I get badly injured and all my weights dropped dramatically. 6 years later I beat my best healthy numbers. At 40. I'm very happy. 

Also did 560lbs sumo earlier this year. 

• Like 4

Congrats man! Very strong! 600 will be no problem in a bit more time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Impressive!  Congrats

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

Congrats man! Very strong! 600 will be no problem in a bit more time.

Thank you! I hit 605 in the Axle deadlift end of December at a meet but that's obviously easier. I should be at 550 from the floor right now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DevilErik said:

Strong as hell dude congrats!!!!!

Thanks man! Really needed that. Retribution.. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Impressive!  Congrats

Appreciate it! Really glad I did that. Now back to pulling from the floor again 💪

52 minutes ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

Thank you! I hit 605 in the Axle deadlift end of December at a meet but that's obviously easier. I should be at 550 from the floor right now. 

I don't powerlift and my maxes on deadlifts of any kind with any grip on any bar are low 300s, so forgive the noob/naive/ignorant question:  how is 600+ axle easier than something lower than that on an Oly bar?  Or is that a joke?  Isn't the world record on axle around 500?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I don't powerlift and my maxes on deadlifts of any kind with any grip on any bar are low 300s, so forgive the noob/naive/ignorant question:  how is 600+ axle easier than something lower than that on an Oly bar?  Or is that a joke?  Isn't the world record on axle around 500?

Axle deadlifts are considered to be one of the easiest variations since the bar is much higher. To me, being 6'1" it comes right under the knee cap. Traditional block pulls come around mid shin so obviously more distance to travel. 

And compared to the floor, they're both easier since the bar from the floor is furthest away in height. 

That's how it works for most. If you look at their numbers it's evident. Novikov recently pulled 453kg or so from the floor in a suit and if I remember well this year or 2020 he pulled 535kg in the Axle deadlift. Which is an insane number. 

Of course you still have to train it. But traditionally people pull from higher spots so they can overload the posterior chain (glutes, hams and spinal erectors) and get used to locking out with weights they can't do from the floor yet. 

Hope this helps! 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

Axle deadlifts are considered to be one of the easiest variations since the bar is much higher. To me, being 6'1" it comes right under the knee cap. Traditional block pulls come around mid shin so obviously more distance to travel. 

And compared to the floor, they're both easier since the bar from the floor is furthest away in height. 

That's how it works for most. If you look at their numbers it's evident. Novikov recently pulled 453kg or so from the floor in a suit and if I remember well this year or 2020 he pulled 535kg in the Axle deadlift. Which is an insane number. 

Of course you still have to train it. But traditionally people pull from higher spots so they can overload the posterior chain (glutes, hams and spinal erectors) and get used to locking out with weights they can't do from the floor yet. 

Hope this helps! 

Wait 500+kg axle?  So you don't mean DOH strapless then.  You just mean mixed grip/straps?  Bc I am pretty sure the world record on axle DOH from the ground is in the 500s POUNDS.  So confused lol.  I really don't know this stuff, sorry.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Wait 500+kg axle?  So you don't mean DOH strapless then.  You just mean mixed grip/straps?  Bc I am pretty sure the world record on axle DOH from the ground is in the 500s POUNDS.  So confused lol.  I really don't know this stuff, sorry.

OK, I looked it up, and he used straps.  At that weight, of course.  No human could do that without straps.  So you are saying you can do more on an axle with straps, or mixed, because it is a little higher than a standard bar, so now I understand.  If it was DOH no straps, then of course you'd do better on the thinner bar.  Right?  I get it.  Learning.

• Like 1

Just now, Vinnie said:

OK, I looked it up, and he used straps.  At that weight, of course.  No human could do that without straps.  So you are saying you can do more on an axle with straps, or mixed, because it is a little higher than a standard bar, so now I understand.  If it was DOH no straps, then of course you'd do better on the thinner bar.  Right?  I get it.  Learning.

I just close grippers lol.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

I just close grippers lol.

GRIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Sorry that's my gripper OCD playing up.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Oh oops yeah I meant its 535kg with DOH and straps lol sorry I didn't realize what you were asking.. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Yeah of course unless you have 10" hands or something lol.... 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, DevilErik said:

GRIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Sorry that's my gripper OCD playing up.

I was looking at new grippers last night.... And the night before.... 👀👀👀

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

I was looking at new grippers last night.... And the night before.... 👀👀👀

Which ones?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DevilErik said:

Which ones?

Damn there are so many I want. I have a full text in my cell notepad with brands. 

Baraban

Silarukov, but they're Russian which means I'll get taxed by customs. 

Crabhold adjustables are also super cool 

Bad Company from Germany. Cool looking grippers with black handles. Don't really know if they're collabing with Heavy Grips but one side of the handle says Heavy Grips. 

I'll most likely get those.

Barabans are awesome but since I buy the whole line it'll be very costly for me. More than 200 euro shipping included. Maybe I should grab like 2-3 at a time. It'll happen for sure. Just don't know when. 

Gorilla sports, also Germany. These and Bad company are a bit more affordable. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Terry Conjugate Iron said:

Damn there are so many I want. I have a full text in my cell notepad with brands. 

Baraban

Silarukov, but they're Russian which means I'll get taxed by customs. 

Crabhold adjustables are also super cool 

Bad Company from Germany. Cool looking grippers with black handles. Don't really know if they're collabing with Heavy Grips but one side of the handle says Heavy Grips. 

I'll most likely get those.

Barabans are awesome but since I buy the whole line it'll be very costly for me. More than 200 euro shipping included. Maybe I should grab like 2-3 at a time. It'll happen for sure. Just don't know when. 

Gorilla sports, also Germany. These and Bad company are a bit more affordable. 

Damn man that is definitely a lot.

You sure are a hardcore gripper collector haha.

They are all awesome though so I do get it.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

I definitely do not intend to troll this thread by saying.. I have always been under the impression that an axle dl always makes the lift harder than a barbell dl.

heres a few reasons why I still believe that to be true.

no flex on axle like on a barbell

Axle puts the weight slightly out in front of you further than a barbell due to diameter

axle is thicker. Regardless of straps, you get less purchase any way you grab it compared to the same style grip (with or without straps) than a barbell.

And with pull hight, due to diameter of bar, you actually pull from a slight deficit when using an axle compared to a barbell. I understand that the top of the axle may seem slightly higher on your shins compared to a barbell when pulling from the floor. But that added hight is offset by the axle also having a lower bottom of the bar than a standard barbell due to its width.

I think the confusion in pull hight may come from the Apollons wheels used in strongman on the axle? Which turns it into a block pull. But we don’t typically use Apollons wheels here. And most who own an axle don’t own the wheels either. So the only time I can think of an axle even remotely being “easier” than a barbell is if you simply pulled from a higher block than with a barbell. But even still.. no flex and all the other factors I mention still make the axle more of a bear to train with over a barbell.

am I missing something?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

I definitely do not intend to troll this thread by saying.. I have always been under the impression that an axle dl always makes the lift harder than a barbell dl.

heres a few reasons why I still believe that to be true.

no flex on axle like on a barbell

Axle puts the weight slightly out in front of you further than a barbell due to diameter

axle is thicker. Regardless of straps, you get less purchase any way you grab it compared to the same style grip (with or without straps) than a barbell.

And with pull hight, due to diameter of bar, you actually pull from a slight deficit when using an axle compared to a barbell. I understand that the top of the axle may seem slightly higher on your shins compared to a barbell when pulling from the floor. But that added hight is offset by the axle also having a lower bottom of the bar than a standard barbell due to its width.

I think the confusion in pull hight may come from the Apollons wheels used in strongman on the axle? Which turns it into a block pull. But we don’t typically use Apollons wheels here. And most who own an axle don’t own the wheels either. So the only time I can think of an axle even remotely being “easier” than a barbell is if you simply pulled from a higher block than with a barbell. But even still.. no flex and all the other factors I mention still make the axle more of a bear to train with over a barbell.

am I missing something?

I had prepared a long detailed response and my internet went out.... 

Oh well... I'll be quick. 

Yes we're referring to the Axle deadlift where the bar is 18" off the floor. 

You can't bend or yank that bar but if you lean backwards slowly until you find that sweet spot you can then lock out. 

I trained and competed against the strongest people in the world (Björnsson, Pétursson, Ver Magnússon) . They all said the same thing. That the Axle bar from height allows for more weight. 

And I can also attest from my own experience. My current deadlift is 255kg and my best Axle bar deadlift in competition is 275kg. And my straps were slipping otherwise I'd have done more. 

And yes if we're taking about a regular Olympic bar height, I'm sure the Axle bar would be harder to deadlift with 

You're not trolling at all by the way 💪

We're just expressing opinions 👍

5 hours ago, DevilErik said:

Damn man that is definitely a lot.

You sure are a hardcore gripper collector haha.

They are all awesome though so I do get it.

I'll be doing a grip tool collection tour clip in a few days. I think I have around... 50 grippers? Can't remember 

Also, I haven't done a hand gripper brand review in many months. I think it's about time it happens again... 👀

• Like 2

Way cool you make some great videos

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Way cool you make some great videos

Appreciate it John! I gotta say I'm getting a lot of support from you guys on here man. Definitely awesome. 

• Like 1