Is it crazy buying an inch well before I can lift it

Blacksmith513

5 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Thanks, i'm looking forward to the day i post me lifting it with one arm. 

Patience and consistency my friend.

• Like 2

On 12/14/2021 at 12:33 PM, Blacksmith513 said:

I'm going to buy a 125lbs one from a member here hopefully, not sure If I could pick that up or not. I'd like to think could. But I found out recently the actual inch replica is made in a foundry about 40 minutes from my aunts house, and my aunt is only 45 minutes from me.. I'm  due to visit her. They always hold their value, and i'm not ever going to lift it unless I have it.  My longtime goals are simple in the grip world, I want to lift the inch, close a COC3 and lever 20lbs+ sledges, and be a decent bender. All the other grip tools are just tools to help get the way.  My fear is the foundry will stop making them, even if its two years before I lift it. Might as well get it while its easy to get.

Late answer on my part, but i say go for it. never will know unless we go for something. long term possibilities both uplifting and unsavory are trivial when comparing them to the big picture of why we adopt our specific goals in life. Besides, i think you'll be able to do it ;) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, glenn_the_hunter said:

What number on the RGT do you think would be equivalent to the inch lift?

From what i've read, and i could be wrong, I think its usually around 200lbs..  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, liftyzig said:

helllll yeah! :D

Thanks, my Mom grew up in Millport (probably the tiniest dumpiest village i've ever seen🤣) and went to school in Elmira. My family still is in Horseheads.  Maybe next time i'm out, you can teach me a thing or two about anvil lifting. 

There's a big part of me that wants to move out there, its my 2nd home. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

From what i've read, and i could be wrong, I think its usually around 200lbs..  

200 RGT would be very strong,  well above Inch db.  I think you are thinking about 200 RT, which is generally close but not consistently correct. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, liftyzig said:

200 RGT would be very strong,  well above Inch db.  I think you are thinking about 200 RT, which is generally close but not consistently correct. 

Are you saying the Rolling Thunder is easier? That makes me feel better. I can only do about 80 with the RGT.  Training hasn’t been consistent because because keep getting sick since I added it to my routine.

32 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Are you saying the Rolling Thunder is easier? That makes me feel better. I can only do about 80 with the RGT.  Training hasn’t been consistent because because keep getting sick since I added it to my routine.

RGT is much harder than Rolling thunder, I suggest watching Jedd's Hard to Handle series on youtub eto see comparisons

39 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I have never heard positive things about the rolling thunder.

The people that have actually used both handles or a variety of different rolling handles including the rolling thunder often say that the rolling thunder is a piece of trash.

The RGT got second place in Jedd's Hard to Handle tournament.

Edited by DevilErik

3 hours ago, DevilErik said:

I have never heard positive things about the rolling thunder.

The people that have actually used both handles or a variety of different rolling handles including the rolling thunder often say that the rolling thunder is a piece of trash.

The RGT got second place in Jedd's Hard to Handle tournament.

I agree the RT is not a consistent handle, you can have wild swings in what you can lift from one to another, however that doesn't dispel the fact that I've heard 200lb RT is a decent marker of your ability to lift the inch.  Obviously if your RT won't spin and you're lifting 40lbs more on it than another one, you probably shouldn't use that one as any indicator of anything :D

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, liftyzig said:

I agree the RT is not a consistent handle, you can have wild swings in what you can lift from one to another, however that doesn't dispel the fact that I've heard 200lb RT is a decent marker of your ability to lift the inch.  Obviously if your RT won't spin and you're lifting 40lbs more on it than another one, you probably shouldn't use that one as any indicator of anything :D

I have never used any of these handles.

I think Jedd was one of the people that called it trash.

Since he is a grip coach I assume that he knows what he is talking about.

His thickbar is pretty good too in my opinion so that also makes it credible.

I think it's a trash handle as well despite not having used it myself it's supposed to be a ROLLING handle lol most rolling thunders don't seem to roll very well.

I do get what you are saying about 200 being a decent marker of your ability to lift the inch though.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, DevilErik said:

I have never used any of these handles.

I think Jedd was one of the people that called it trash.

Since he is a grip coach I assume that he knows what he is talking about.

His thickbar is pretty good too in my opinion so that also makes it credible.

I think it's a trash handle as well despite not having used it myself it's supposed to be a ROLLING handle lol most rolling thunders don't seem to roll very well.

I do get what you are saying about 200 being a decent marker of your ability to lift the inch though.

Yeah, i have no complaints with the RGT... I don't have any experience with any thing similar, but I know when something is built well and this is. At some point i'll buy another to do pull ups with. 

Had my first "workout" with the inch. I kinda squat deadlifted it off the ground with it perpendicular to me.  I'm sure there is a term for what i did... It obviously don't roll when i lift it like that with two hands. But its getting my body used to the weight... As my strength goes up with the RGT, I'll start to transition to single hand stuff.  I'd like to build a couple platforms at different heights, to set it on.  

Steve Slater even has reached out to make sure I got it ok. He seems real friendly. I believe him and Jedd Johnson are in on this together. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Yeah, i have no complaints with the RGT... I don't have any experience with any thing similar, but I know when something is built well and this is. At some point i'll buy another to do pull ups with. 

Had my first "workout" with the inch. I kinda squat deadlifted it off the ground with it perpendicular to me.  I'm sure there is a term for what i did... It obviously don't roll when i lift it like that with two hands. But its getting my body used to the weight... As my strength goes up with the RGT, I'll start to transition to single hand stuff.  I'd like to build a couple platforms at different heights, to set it on.  

Steve Slater even has reached out to make sure I got it ok. He seems real friendly. I believe him and Jedd Johnson are in on this together. 

Awesome dude good luck!!

• Like 1

I hade a chance to buy one but life happened 

I really regret it

• Like 2