Is it crazy buying an inch well before I can lift it

Blacksmith513

I'm going to buy a 125lbs one from a member here hopefully, not sure If I could pick that up or not. I'd like to think could. But I found out recently the actual inch replica is made in a foundry about 40 minutes from my aunts house, and my aunt is only 45 minutes from me.. I'm  due to visit her. They always hold their value, and i'm not ever going to lift it unless I have it.  My longtime goals are simple in the grip world, I want to lift the inch, close a COC3 and lever 20lbs+ sledges, and be a decent bender. All the other grip tools are just tools to help get the way.  My fear is the foundry will stop making them, even if its two years before I lift it. Might as well get it while its easy to get.

• Like 2

It's not crazy at all, the best way to lift the inch is by training with one.  You'll get more used to the weight and the feel of it where you couldn't without one.

• Like 3

TBH, it depends on your financial condition. I think thousands would be able to eventually lift the Inch if they owned or had access but the cost is substantial. If money is no problem then yeah definitely grab one. However, if cash is better suited elsewhere then buy FG, FGX, Wrist Wrench from Arm Assassin, rock rings/boards for fingers and you will be on your way.

• Like 4

The biggest thing for most is the cost - and usually shipping adds substantially to that cost - in your case it sounds like you can get around that cost.  That said my opinion is "where are you now"?  If you get and cannot lift the 125# baby inch then buying a true 172# inch might be a waste of time for the immediate future.  It's a long way from 125 to 172.  Hand size might also be considered - the number of people with smallish hands who have lifted an Inch is a pretty short list.  Good Luck!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, climber511 said:

The biggest thing for most is the cost - and usually shipping adds substantially to that cost - in your case it sounds like you can get around that cost.  That said my opinion is "where are you now"?  If you get and cannot lift the 125# baby inch then buying a true 172# inch might be a waste of time for the immediate future.  It's a long way from 125 to 172.  Hand size might also be considered - the number of people with smallish hands who have lifted an Inch is a pretty short list.  Good Luck!

I agree. But I’m such a cheap hard headed prick, if I spend $600 on an inch, I’ll lift that thing if it’s the last thing I ever do. I’ve havent measured my hands in a long time but they are between 7.5 and 8 inches. I’m just afraid in the future they might be harder to get. If that’s the case it would be worth even more money. I haven’t touched my rolling grip thing or what ever it’s called from grip genie since I bought it but I got about 75 80lbs. Im going to start using it again this week. Also gonna get some fat gripz for my 100lbs dumbbell.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I'm going to buy a 125lbs one from a member here hopefully, not sure If I could pick that up or not. I'd like to think could. But I found out recently the actual inch replica is made in a foundry about 40 minutes from my aunts house, and my aunt is only 45 minutes from me.. I'm  due to visit her. They always hold their value, and i'm not ever going to lift it unless I have it.  My longtime goals are simple in the grip world, I want to lift the inch, close a COC3 and lever 20lbs+ sledges, and be a decent bender. All the other grip tools are just tools to help get the way.  My fear is the foundry will stop making them, even if its two years before I lift it. Might as well get it while its easy to get.

Where is the Inch replica made?  If I am ever in the area I might buy one too (and also don't know if/when I will ever lift it, but would like to).

10 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Where is the Inch replica made?  If I am ever in the area I might buy one too (and also don't know if/when I will ever lift it, but would like to).

It’s in Rhode Island. Cumberland foundry I believe it’s called. Just type in Thomas inch replica on google. I know you’ll lift it someday.

• Like 1

If you train with other tools you can always make a trip out to visit someone else that has one for an attempt, Jedd in Wyalusing, PA has several to try, and often had grip competitions you could join in on.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, liftyzig said:

If you train with other tools you can always make a trip out to visit someone else that has one for an attempt, Jedd in Wyalusing, PA has several to try, and often had grip competitions you could join in on.

Yeah, Jedd's comps are excellent, definitely worth the trip. 

It’s in Rhode Island. Cumberland foundry I believe it’s called.

Sorry you missed Gripmas - not far from Rhode Island.  Tank said he may run another comp in April, also in Connecticut, maybe you will be around for that.

• Like 2

Gas money is way cheaper, just find out who has the closest one to you and go try it. People in grip spend far too much money and you can get brutally strong with just a few simple inexpensive implements. No need for all the fancy stuff

• Like 2

Not crazy at all. Is it crazy to buy a Ferrari before you can actually drive like a pro? No, it's your own decision and you should not listen to what other people say. It's your money and you're free to spend them any way you like.

Is it worth it in terms of training. The answer is yes, there's many ways you can train with an Inch db even if you can't lift it with one hand yet. You can do assisted lifts in many different form. Goblet squats, deadlifts with two arms etc.

It's much easier to deload a heavy bell than it is to make a lighter bell heavier.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

Gas money is way cheaper, just find out who has the closest one to you and go try it. People in grip spend far too much money and you can get brutally strong with just a few simple inexpensive implements. No need for all the fancy stuff

but buying all the things is fun

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Yeah, Jedd's comps are excellent, definitely worth the trip. 

Sorry you missed Gripmas - not far from Rhode Island.  Tank said he may run another comp in April, also in Connecticut, maybe you will be around for that.

That would be great, i'll try to attend the next one.. Owning a business sucks, we never take any time off...  But thats gotta change.. I might even hire Jedd at some point for some coaching. I'd really love to meet up with some of you here and watch and learn. 

Not crazy. It’s exactly what I did actually. then later went on to lift it.

I say go for it. And another great side effect of owning an inch is if you ever decide to sell it, you can sell it years later for exactly what you paid for it. Or maybe even more if you took it to a hardcore lifting facility or a college campus weight room near you.

• Like 3

If someone wants a truly strong hand it would be crazy not to get an inch. They are indestructible- once you own it your kids and their kids can own it. Like TJ says above - if you don’t want it at some point resale is very good. The only purchase better then getting a 172 Thomas inch bell is if you can get one heavier 😆😆😆

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

It's much easier to deload a heavy bell than it is to make a lighter bell heavier.

^^^ THIS. So much this 

2 hours ago, liftyzig said:

but buying all the things is fun

I completely agree, and I'm guilty too of getting things that are fun but I hate to see people thinking you have to be rich or have an elaborate gym to get strong. You need some creativity, and that's it expecially for grip since there's so many options. 

• Like 1

I really appreciate the thread as this is something on my mind at present.

Very valid point with the production. The number of things I thought would always be made and for one reason or another production has stopped grows daily.

Interesting with the posts mentioning to just buy it and set out a training plan on how to lift it. Is that because this is such an odd ball piece of equipment?  Is there value in buying lighter replicas I ask as Nathan Holle makes Thomas Inch Dumbbells 114 lbs upto a crazy 230 lbs. I was thinking myself go for the smallest and see how it feels then over time could use that for more duration conditioning. Then going up in weight.

The hand size point mentioned is that a total or does palm / finger ratio also play a part.

If you're truly really committed to lifting an inch then you'd be crazy NOT to buy one if you can afford it.

Sure, there are training tools that can aid in achieving the goal but revolving handles, thick-handled dumbbells, and a Wrist Wench will only get you so far.

Fair warning (and injuries aside): You need to stick to your training until it is accomplished, otherwise motivation wanes until they wander off into a corner and gather dust. . .a lot of dust. The dust is coming off in 2022. . . .

• Like 2

10 hours ago, gripmaniac said:

If you're truly really committed to lifting an inch then you'd be crazy NOT to buy one if you can afford it.

Sure, there are training tools that can aid in achieving the goal but revolving handles, thick-handled dumbbells, and a Wrist Wench will only get you so far.

Fair warning (and injuries aside): You need to stick to your training until it is accomplished, otherwise motivation wanes until they wander off into a corner and gather dust. . .a lot of dust. The dust is coming off in 2022. . . .

yeah, i think i'm just going to buy it.  I do have the money set aside, but I think i'm going to wait until I sell a few guitars to buy it. I'll use that money instead, along with my 2 jars of coins that must have at least $250.    I just messed around this morning with my  Grip Genie rolling grip thing... I got 72lbs plus whatever the loading pin is... I got a LONG way to go, but i've never even really used to and I was just messing around and it was towards the end of my session.   I know i'll lift it someday, and having it in my possession will motivate me. Going to work on my pinch game as well for the thumb strength, I can do 40lbs with each hand, but I'd like to see that number go up.

18 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

That would be great, i'll try to attend the next one.. Owning a business sucks, we never take any time off...  But thats gotta change.. I might even hire Jedd at some point for some coaching. I'd really love to meet up with some of you here and watch and learn. 

I would definitely hire Jedd. I have been working with him for only a few months and I have definitely improved significantly. Totally worth the money. At a minimum he has the TGA website. Its worth it as well. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jculpepper said:

I would definitely hire Jedd. I have been working with him for only a few months and I have definitely improved significantly. Totally worth the money. At a minimum he has the TGA website. Its worth it as well. 

Thats great to hear. When i was sick with a stomach virus a few weeks back, when i wasn't puking, on the toilet or sleeping i mostly had on his videos.  It really inspired me to get more aggressive with my training, cut back on beer (never gonna give it up no matter what anyone says) and start achieving my goals. The inch being one of them. This spring, i'll probably contact him for some coaching. I'll gladly give him my money so a little bit of his knowledge.

• Like 1

When I bought my Inch Db it was a lull where no one had been actively casting them for awhile. took 2 years trying to catch one on ebay before I finally snagged one and another 8-10 years before I could solidly lift it. For me it feels like a pinch due to short fingers and thumb and is probably the last of the major grip achievements I got before retiring from competing. Most of the last year before I finally lifted it cleanly I was training on a custom loadable though that simulated its dynamics very accurately. Good luck on whatever you decide to do and your training.

- Aaron

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, acorn said:

When I bought my Inch Db it was a lull where no one had been actively casting them for awhile. took 2 years trying to catch one on ebay before I finally snagged one and another 8-10 years before I could solidly lift it. For me it feels like a pinch due to short fingers and thumb and is probably the last of the major grip achievements I got before retiring from competing. Most of the last year before I finally lifted it cleanly I was training on a custom loadable though that simulated its dynamics very accurately. Good luck on whatever you decide to do and your training.

- Aaron

Thats awesome, glad you finally conquered it. I guess $600 and a trip to my aunts is pretty nice  and simple  way to acquire an inch. 

• Like 1

Thats great to hear. When i was sick with a stomach virus a few weeks back, when i wasn't puking, on the toilet or sleeping i mostly had on his videos.  It really inspired me to get more aggressive with my training, cut back on beer (never gonna give it up no matter what anyone says) and start achieving my goals. The inch being one of them. This spring, i'll probably contact him for some coaching. I'll gladly give him my money so a little bit of his knowledge.

No, question you'll get the inch. It's one of my goals as well. 

• Like 1