Who has lifted the INCH Dumbbell at Bodyweight or less?

mcalpine1986

43 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

Show me the picture so I know which image you are referring to. In this day and age it's not too hard to copy and paste. I can't recall seeing any pinch lifting image with good evidence of 'massive' front load but I might have missed something.

Took me 8 seconds.  Here's a picture of him lifting double 100# plates with a giant lever on the implement that causes a severe front load and will most definitely make the lift easier.  Plus, both implements are braced against his legs.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_HbaApmpa-Po/Sm5moRtD14I/AAAAAAAABeI/UbWzDgbO-Ck/s1600-h/two.jpg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Took me 8 seconds.  Here's a picture of him lifting double 100# plates with a giant lever on the implement that causes a severe front load and will most definitely make the lift easier.  Plus, both implements are braced against his legs.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_HbaApmpa-Po/Sm5moRtD14I/AAAAAAAABeI/UbWzDgbO-Ck/s1600-h/two.jpg

That rod goes straight through the plate as shown below so we don't know if that set up was front loaded.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_HbaApmpa-Po/S8Fevp7TpgI/AAAAAAAACgk/_dKsZaGOkaI/s400/two.jpg

Edited by Mikael Siversson

9 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Looks like the same plate, possibly, same front load lever and braced against his thigh

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_HbaApmpa-Po/Sm5lKEfmUCI/AAAAAAAABdg/wZ26RJmkzbY/s1600-h/one.jpg

Again what is your evidence showing that the set up is not evenly loaded. We can't exactly see what's on the other side.

Anyhow given we don't know if it was front loaded or not its best to rely of Wayne's account of Bruce doing some 8 reps with the 90 pound plate before Bruce added weight to it.

8 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

That rod goes straight through the plate as shown below so we don't know if that set up was front loaded.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_HbaApmpa-Po/S8Fevp7TpgI/AAAAAAAACgk/_dKsZaGOkaI/s400/two.jpg

The rod itself creates enough front load to make the lift go from stapled to the floor to up to lockout EASY

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

Again what is your evidence showing that the set up is not evenly loaded. We can't exactly see what's on the other side.

It's a giant bar, Mikael.  That's a significant front load.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

But you don't know what's on the other side? Besides none of his claims in the pinch seems unrealistic given Wayne's account him repping the 90 pound plate.

1 minute ago, Mikael Siversson said:

But you don't know what's on the other side? Besides none of his claims in the pinch seems unrealistic given Wayne's account him repping the 90 pound plate.

That's true, but my guess is he, like countless others who have added weight to pinch items, did not realize that he was creating a front load.

We can agree to disagree.  The front load and obvious bracing are things most people don't notice, especially in the case of Kody's 2x25s which almost no one noticed.

• Like 2

I admit Kody's performance was almost unbelievable so I stand corrected on that one but that of course does not invalidate his unmatched performance on the Euro.

The reason I doubt that there was much front loading going on is Wayne's account of him warming up doing 8 reps both hands with the 90 pound plate (and his max on that day was 105 pounds with the bar and smaller plates added and this does not seem out of the ordinary). We do have one image of that 90 pounder with the bar through it but no smaller plates added to it and it sticks out the same amount on both sides so its reasonable to assume that was the default setting (not saying he never frontloaded).

Need less to say Kody did pinch lift 2x25k plates on that day. That in itself is an extreme feat of pinch strength, especially for someone weighing 200 pounds.

Also are we all going to ignore the fact that very few of us would beat this 67-72k man in the deadlift (about 4x his body weight)? He obviously had very good genes for strength.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_HbaApmpa-Po/Sm5lXR53UpI/AAAAAAAABd4/y8Qjf3ZkrOg/s1600/four.jpg

I don't think anybody is saying Bruce wasn't strong. It's definitely possible he could do a strict lift of the inch people are just pointing out we don't know that to be true for certain, and we will never know at this point. With modern people at least we have a chance to get good footage or better yet have them in a competition with much stricter standards. 

Not sure I follow you. Are you implying he grabbed the inch at lockout height from eg a table and had someone remove that table and then take the picture? If not then he would have had the strength to pull it strict. Getting there is the hard part.

Same with the axle; you can only hold it at lockout for an extended time if you had at least a little bit of spare strength. Bracing at lockout can only occur if you first pull it all the way to lockout (unless you cheat with a table and a whole crew of helpers).

However holding eg an axle max lift at lockout would be easier than holding an inch (max effort) because the axle is closer to your body and it digs in deeper because of the smaller diameter. 

2 hours ago, Mikael Siversson said:

Need less to say Kody did pinch lift 2x25k plates on that day. That in itself is an extreme feat of pinch strength, especially for someone weighing 200 pounds.

Give me a break with the bodyweight stuff. Kody's hands are 8+ inches.  

You would probably take all this credit away from Kody if he was morbidly obese, or a 250+lb bodybuilder.

Kody has a frame to be 250+ but had very little lower body muscle and back strength due to his lower back injury history.

Just give credit where it's due. Dude's got strong hands and proved himself on video. 

If he was carrying 20 now pounds of body fat, he would have been 220+. I seriously wonder if you'd still sing his praises like you do if he got his back healthy and bulked up. My gosh.

2 hours ago, Mikael Siversson said:

Also are we all going to ignore the fact that very few of us would beat this 67-72k man in the deadlift (about 4x his body weight)? He obviously had very good genes for strength.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_HbaApmpa-Po/Sm5lXR53UpI/AAAAAAAABd4/y8Qjf3ZkrOg/s1600/four.jpg

I could not care less about Bruce White's deadlift.

Fact: the strongest p4p gripster is still Joe Kinney. 

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Give me a break with the bodyweight stuff. Kody's hands are 8+ inches.  

You would probably take all this credit away from Kody if he was morbidly obese, or a 250+lb bodybuilder.

Kody has a frame to be 250+ but had very little lower body muscle and back strength due to his lower back injury history.

Just give credit where it's due. Dude's got strong hands and proved himself on video. 

If he was carrying 20 now pounds of body fat, he would have been 220+. I seriously wonder if you'd still sing his praises like you do if he got his back healthy and bulked up. My gosh.

Oh boy here we go again, the same old hand size vs body weight discussion. I trained and competed at a very lean and light bodyweight for my frame (74k at 6') for more than half a decade. My best in training with the axle was 139k (did 140 i competition) and I never missed a workout. I then decided to give the 83k class a go. One year later my best in training is 155k and I have not been below 150k for more than half a year. Did my hands get any larger?

Eric Milfeld gave the 74k class a go as well. His 2HP dropped by 10% whereas his axle was unchanged. My 2HP max dropped by 1%. Thus in both cases we were stronger at 83k but the weight change affected the axle in my case and the 2HP in Eric's case.

Your best on the Euro in competition in the 105k class is not quite as good as your best in the 120k class, which in turn is not quite as good as your best in the 120k+ class (the old record).

Is Kody's legacy your kryptonite because you seem uncomfortable every time I bring him up?

Speaking of Kody, his best on the axle in the 93k class is 182k but 170k in the 83k class.

Adam Glass' best axle performance in the 105k is higher than it is in the 93k.

The truth is bodyweight does matter when you go from lean to have a bit more fat/muscle on your frame. We have the stats to back this up.

Tanner would not do the things he does now if he had to drop down to 83k. He would still perform spectacularly but his poundage would be lower.

Invariably people wanting hand size divisions are ....... heavy guys.

• Like 1

Tanner with his large hands cannot beat eg Khaled (another grip freak) in inch dumbbell lifting in spite of Khaled being a novice in grip stuff. The main reason is that Khaled (who also has a large wrap) is a much bigger framed and heavier man. This is not rocket science. Khaled would probably beat Tanner with relative ease in eg grippers if he spent the same time training them as Tanner has.

I have said it many times that our 120k+ records would be at a considerably higher level if we could attract heavy, big framed athletes with good genes for strength (but they go where the money is).

Hand size vs bodyweight is a totally different topic. IMO bodyweight is the best way to go for a number of reasons. First reason is, how would we even be able to accurately measure peoples hands before competitions? As long as you don’t have absolutely giant hands it would be easy to position your hand so that it will measure 1/4-1/2” smaller than what it actually is. It would basically make the whole thing boil down to being just an honor system. Bodyweight is an accurate and accurate asy way to seperate different athletes. Secondly, bodyweight makes a huge difference. Sure, the forearms don’t weigh much. But when you are bigger overall it’s going to be easier to pack on muscle to your forearms. In over 5 years I’ve been armwrestling I have never seen a 80kg or 90kg puller have as big of forearms as some of the competitors in the open weightclass. It’s not even close. 

I also like armwrestling as an example since it is also hand size dependent. If armwrestling as a sport were just as small as grip, it would be easy to think that hand size is the biggest factor. All you need is one freak like a prime Allen Fisher to show up at a local club and dominate every single puller there regardless of bodyweight. Dude is maybe 180lbs but with freakishly massive hands. If that happened it would be easy to think that hand size was the biggest factor. However since armwrestling as a sport is bigger, you have tons of freaks in every weight class. Sure, Allen could still show up at a local tournament and wipe the floor with every single puller there regardless of their bodyweight. But put him against the heavier freaks and he’ll have absolutely no chance in hell. I mean Imagine Allen Fisher against Tim Bresnan. Allen has giant hands and Tim has very small hands. Yet Tim wouldn’t break a sweat against Allen.

If gripsport was 100 times bigger and you had 100 Kodys and Tanners in every weight class. I’m sure bodyweight will sort itself out to be the biggest determining factor.

Granted, if someone has tiny hands like sub 7”. It’s going to be difficult to compete against someone who has 9” in an event like thickbar. But assuming people are in a relatively normal range of 7.5-8.5” (medium size hands to very large hands) then bodyweight will be the biggest factor IMO.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Give me a break with the bodyweight stuff.

In all other strength sports they use weigh classes, not eg arm length vs torso length in the deadlift or total height lifted in the clean and jerk. Same with armwrestling where your body weight decides your division, not your hand size or forearm length or some other length variable. Strength sports have chosen weight classes for a reason. It's not perfect but it works better than any other alternative.

I am not the one with the odd position here but you are. I can envision the spectacle of hand size divisions with endless discussions on individual digit length, hand length vs actual wrap etc, etc. What a circus that would eventually turn into.

If we change to hand size I would just tape my hands so it would create an artificial crease at the base of my hand. There, I’m now in the 7” class :)

• Haha 1