Who has lifted the INCH Dumbbell at Bodyweight or less?

mcalpine1986

2 hours ago, Lucasraymond said:

Ive competed at 105k weighing 206lbs bc i didnt care about 93kg so comparing 183 vs 231 might be 183 vs 206. The past 3 years of grip has seen almost no euro being contest except for Jedds contests so it doesnt have recent number from a lot of people. Comparing narrow pinch vs wide pinch (flask vs saxon/ironmind pinch block) arent the same. I believe tanner would excel in the >70mm widths vs the flask 58mm. Yes it is tough to compare bruce to anyone today but bruces numbers werent in contest so you have to take training lifts in account to compare to him. Someone lifting say 100k on the euro successfully but jumping to 110kg and missing by 1-2mm of height doesnt show someones true strength when looking at the numbers just poor choice on weight during contest. 

You think Tanner is stronger than Kody was in 2015 in pinch lifting? Btw, even I could give Tanner a run for his money in wide one hand plate pinch lifting. From memory Kody weighed around 200 in 2015 so well below the 93k limit.

Its quite hilarious that I of all people may actually have the pound-for-pound strongest wide one hand pinch (4x10k plates [84mm width] at 73k bodyweight). That must be a hard pill to swallow for some lol.

The Saxon bar is far more wrist dependant than say the flask or the Euro (which is why Adam likes it so much😉).

Edited by Mikael Siversson

On 12/13/2020 at 8:18 PM, Kluv#0 said:

Tanner is the best all-around gripster in the world but I still believe He was the best pound for pound for all-around grip. Tanner's Thickbar, Pinch, wrist strength, gripper capabilities(Silver Bullet and crush domination is still very underrated part of his game), crazy 1 arm pull-ups on LBH, etc. and excellent at all lesser known lifts. Tanner, Yves, Bruce White, Tommy Heslep, Bob Sundin all have done the Inch DB weighing less than 172lbs- much respect to all of them.

Good example of a respectful post, stating your opinion without having a go at people with a different view. This thread continues to deliver. It has many polite, thoughtful posts and just enough animosity to keep it interesting😄

• Like 2

On 12/19/2020 at 8:26 PM, Jedd Johnson said:

Is there any video footage of this, or just pictures of him bracing it against his body, like I have always seen?

He doesn't

23 hours ago, Jedd Johnson said:

I'm with you Eric.  Ives' evidence is unquestionable.  Bruce's evidence is all questionable, that I've seen.

100%

23 hours ago, Jedd Johnson said:

You do realize Kody lifted them and then braced against his body for the rest of that time, right?  It blows me away that people do not realize this.  It is clearly against his body, in true Bruce White style.

Nothing against Kody.  He beat me that day.  But facts are facts.

Yes Luke told me so.

22 hours ago, Boulderbrew said:

Hopefully one day I can try it 

:shifty

1 hour ago, Mikael Siversson said:

What is truly hilarious is that you repeatedly resort to strawman tactics. I never said a #3 compares to a #4 in difficulty. If you care to look at the IM site you will notice that Kody's former record time for the #3 (57 sec) is much longer than Tanner's record for the #4 (30 sec).

I don't need to ask Tanner about his weight as the weight classes are noted on eg the NAGS lists.

He didn't use a strawman tactic. You are comparing apple's to orange's. You cannot compare SB #3 and a #4. Yes you didn't directly compare it, but why bring it up? You are indirectly claiming it which isn't true.

On 12/20/2020 at 3:00 AM, Mikael Siversson said:

In any case his performance on the Euro (the most contested pinch grip apparatus) is far and away the best pound-for-pound. This is as unquestionable as any pinch grip performance can be. No excuse for having to lift at a suboptimal width.

That's fine, just as long as this myth of him being able to pinch the 2x25s legit for 30 seconds or whatever gets out to bed. It just isn't true.

On 12/20/2020 at 3:43 AM, Mikael Siversson said:

Eyewitness accounts of Bruce's pinch lifting ability by Wayne Gallasch.

"Grip training was next and here I observed some incredible feats.

For a warmup, the 50 lb. smooth sided plate was lifted for 20 reps with each hand. Then the 90 lb. plate was raised for 8 reps with each hand. Bruce adds weight via a dumbell rod through the plate’s center (see photo) and works up to limit attempts around 105 lbs. Bruce has moved 121 lbs. off the floor."

Yes it sounds like he would have beaten Yves with ease in one hand pinch lifting. Wayne (given his credentials) is every bit as credible witness as anyone who has ever witnessed any of Yves' training lifts. 

For those who don't know who Wayne is:

https://www.gmv.com.au/default.asp?pageid=products&template=PRODUCTCAT&catid=30&prodid=1258&site=1

So why do you suppose everything is always braced in all the pictures?  Just bracing it for the camera since he couldn't hold it free fro his body for the lesser quality cameras back in the day?

On 12/12/2020 at 9:08 AM, Mikael Siversson said:

I just read all 26 posts about Bruce White, posted over a several day period between the last day of January 2006 and the first few days of February, 2006. 

WHAT A DIFFERENCE IN TONE BETWEEN 2006 AND 2020 ON THIS VERY WEBSITE. It is practically "Twilight Zone" level of an Alternate Universe. Many very respected guys paying their own respects to Bruce (David Horne, Nick McKinless, Dale Harder, Joe Roark, Richard Sorin, etc.). And now? He's painted as just some dead guy who liked to have his picture while he is bracing ________(fill in the blank). 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

I just read all 26 posts about Bruce White, posted over a several day period between the last day of January 2006 and the first few days of February, 2006. 

WHAT A DIFFERENCE IN TONE BETWEEN 2006 AND 2020 ON THIS VERY WEBSITE. It is practically "Twilight Zone" level of an Alternate Universe. Many very respected guys paying their own respects to Bruce (David Horne, Nick McKinless, Dale Harder, Joe Roark, Richard Sorin, etc.). And now? He's painted as just some dead guy who liked to have his picture while he is bracing ________(fill in the blank). 

Yes it does not reflect well on some here.

On 12/22/2020 at 4:50 AM, Mikael Siversson said:

Yes it does not reflect well on some here.

This is now the norm thanks to Social Media IMO and frankly a ton of additional people in the pool so to speak. 

11 minutes ago, Wannagrip said:

This is now the norm thanks to Social Media IMO and frankly a ton of additional people in the pool so to speak. 

There's so many people faking lifts these days that it's natural to be a little more skeptical, tho I see how that can come off as disrespectful. It's a weird line to balance. 

On 12/21/2020 at 8:35 PM, Hubgeezer said:

Back in the day, most people couldn't post video, so it was not as natural to question pictures.

But when EVERY SINGLE PICTURE of Bruce White shows him bracing stuff against his body, it gets a lot easier to question everything when you're used to video.

But maybe I'm just the kind of guy who likes to put up HIT PIECES...

• Like 1

He did for example 8 reps with 90 pounds each hand in front of a credible witness (see one of my previous posts). When you are repping there is no benefit whatsoever bracing along the way. This was almost certainly not his best performance in the pinch but something he did to show Wayne.

When we have this information it starts to look pretty bad when you continue to imply that he was a cheat. That pinch performance is replicated by how many people his size?

8 hours ago, Wannagrip said:

I find this comment, coming from an IT guy who has been in charge of this forum from Day One, very insightful. I suppose you are making a commentary of the state of the world, not this forum. It is as if there is a "paradigm shift" in the way people process information these days. 

Bill, the only reason I don't give your comment a "like" is that it is too depressing to like it. But it is not something I would have considered had you not stated it. 

6 hours ago, Mikael Siversson said:

He did for example 8 reps with 90 pounds each hand in front of a credible witness (see one of my previous posts). When you are repping there is no benefit whatsoever bracing along the way. This was almost certainly not his best performance in the pinch but something he did to show Wayne.

When we have this information it starts to look pretty bad when you continue to imply that he was a cheat. That pinch performance is replicated by how many people his size?

What was he pinching?

9 hours ago, Mikael Siversson said:

A 'smooth sided plate', 18'' diameter and 1 1/2'' thick. 

Very narrow, not much weight. Not very special with today standards. 

11 hours ago, Mikael Siversson said:

A 'smooth sided plate', 18'' diameter and 1 1/2'' thick. 

Was it a plate with weight added in a front-loaded situation? Because I'm pretty sure I saw a picture of a massive front load of his once too. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

I find this comment, coming from an IT guy who has been in charge of this forum from Day One, very insightful. I suppose you are making a commentary of the state of the world, not this forum. It is as if there is a "paradigm shift" in the way people process information these days. 

Bill, the only reason I don't give your comment a "like" is that it is too depressing to like it. But it is not something I would have considered had you not stated it. 

Yes, state of the world.  It becomes harder and harder every day.  Frankly, I am so glad I do not have to bring kids up currently in this madness.  What a nightmare with all these really bad sources of influence to deal with as a parent.  Even bullying is made super easy with Social Media.  Terrible. Just terrible.

• Like 3

Times change - cameras change (especially autofocus etc) and the time necessary one had to hold to get a good photo is probably less now.  But standards have changed as well - we go though the tilt/no tilt thing all the time here.  If in order to hold the Inch long enough for a photo he held it against his body it doesn't take anything away from the fact that he lifted it up there with one hand (and yes I know a still picture doesn't actually prove that).  It wasn't that many years ago that still pics were all the proof we had here on the Gripboard - and all kinds of things were challenged as to truth.  I believe Bruce White lifted the Inch DB at around 148# - a fantastic feat back then and would be still today.  All these lightweight guys impress the heck out of me - half the size of all the monsters today - they still get the job done.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Was it a plate with weight added in a front-loaded situation? Because I'm pretty sure I saw a picture of a massive front load of his once too. 

The 90 pound plate was just the plate.

5 hours ago, Florian Kellersmann said:

Very narrow, not much weight. Not very special with today standards. 

I would struggle doing 8 reps with 41k in one hand pinch and let me tell you I would absolutely destroy everyone here up to the 74k class in one hand pinching, Yves included (in fact I outperformed Jedd himself while weighing 73k first time both of us tried to pinch lift 4x10k eleiko weights and that's a fact). Bruce weighed about 67k and we are discussing pound-for-pound strength here, in case you missed that. Also most people will pinch more at 2'' than at 1 1/2''. 

Since I regard Bruce as stronger in the one hand pinch lift than I am who exactly are you referring to in the weight classes up to 74k that would make my one hand pinch lifting 'not very special with today's standards'?

3 hours ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Show me the picture so I know which image you are referring to. In this day and age it's not too hard to copy and paste. I can't recall seeing any pinch lifting image with good evidence of 'massive' front load but I might have missed something.

42 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

Show me the picture so I know which image you are referring to. In this day and age it's not too hard to copy and paste. I can't recall seeing any pinch lifting image with good evidence of 'massive' front load but I might have missed something.

I'll post it here if I can find it.