Road to the CoC3#

SteinWillems1

Had a pretty awesome pump after doing the wrist curls! Weighing 128 kg at the moment. I am going to cut down a little bit to 122 kg.

20230411_145247.jpg

• Like 5

How tall are you? I would never have guessed your were 128kg. 

Pinkey pad is looking huge in that pic also 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stephen Ruby said:

How tall are you? I would never have guessed your were 128kg. 

Pinkey pad is looking huge in that pic also 

I am 2.04 m I think that is 6 feet 8 inches.

Damn you're 2 inches taller than me and 18kg lighter too, Impressive man

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

Damn you're 2 inches taller than me and 18kg lighter too, Impressive man

Haha well I am not nearly as strong as you;) are you 146 kg atm?

2 minutes ago, SteinWillems1 said:

Haha well I am not nearly as strong as you;) are you 146 kg atm?

Nah you'll get there, Big guys have a big frame regardless

Yeah i'm around there, I fluctuate between 144 and 146, For my size its not too bad of a fluctuation, When i was around 138 i would fluctuate something ridiculous like 5 kilo

• Like 1

Just now, Jermiah Merciconah said:

Yeah i'm around there, I fluctuate between 144 and 146, For my size its not too bad of a fluctuation, When i was around 138 i would fluctuate something ridiculous like 5 kilo

Do you also feel that you have to be heavy to be strong in grippers or not? I always have the feeling that I have to be very heavy and always in a caloric surplus to make gripper gains.

For now I don't want to become heavier but I want to increasw gripper gains. 

24 minutes ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

Everyone's frames are different though in that people with similar bodyfat/muscle can weigh different due to bone structure. I'm about the same height as stein and my bodyweight goal right now is mid 140kg(I'm overweight at 180+kg). I've had the dream of making the 120kg class but I think that might be pretty much as lean as I would comfortably want to get to. 

23 minutes ago, SteinWillems1 said:

Do you also feel that you have to be heavy to be strong in grippers or not? I always have the feeling that I have to be very heavy and always in a caloric surplus to make gripper gains.

For now I don't want to become heavier but I want to increasw gripper gains. 

I think Tiziano Becchio has shown you don't have to be heavy to be strong on grippers closing coc 4's at around 64kg. I think grip is unique in that you can continue to get quite a bit strong even losing weight. Where in say the powerlifts like the squat just adding some weight can make certain lifts easier. 

• Like 4

I definitely feel its helpful to grippers to be in a slight calorie surplus, Not heaps but i feel like being hungry while trying to close grippers is a futile endeavour, Also grip strength still operates off muscles in your forearm so being carbed up is definitely helpful

Edited by Jermiah Merciconah
  • Like 1

Just now, Stephen Ruby said:

Everyone's frames are different though in that people with similar bodyfat/muscle can weigh different due to bone structure. I'm about the same height as stein and my bodyweight goal right now is mid 140kg(I'm overweight at 180+kg). I've had the dream of making the 120kg class but I think that might be pretty much as lean as I would comfortably want to get to. 

I think Tiziano Becchio has shown you don't have to be heavy to be strong on grippers closing coc 4's at around 64kg. I think grip is unique in that you can continue to get quite a bit strong even losing weight. Where in say the powerlifts like the squat just adding some weight can make certain lifts easier. 

Yeah I agree with you, Tizianzo and a lot of other lighter gripsters show us that only when I feel lighter ( under 120 kg)  I notice that my hands and fingers are more slender and just not as beefy and strong. 

@Stephen RubyDo you notice that you get a weaker grip when you are in a caloric deficit?

4 minutes ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

I definitely feel its helpful to grippers to be in a slight calorie surplus, Not heaps but i feel like being hungry while trying to close grippers is a futile endeavour, Also grip strength still operates off muscles in your forearm so being carbed up is definitely helpful

Yes that is how I feel about it to!

I tought I was 2.03 cm, but I measured last week and it turns out I am 2.04 cm. 

1 minute ago, SteinWillems1 said:

Yeah I agree with you, Tizianzo and a lot of other lighter gripsters show us that only when I feel lighter ( under 120 kg)  I notice that my hands and fingers are more slender and just not as beefy and strong. 

@Stephen RubyDo you notice that you get a weaker grip when you are in a caloric deficit?

I agree with Jermiah that carbs makes a big difference in workout performance so I try to just ensure I have a good balanced meal prior to training. I have been getting stronger since I started training again in all lifts on a deficit. I imagine it will slow down as I lose some of the muscle memory gains but feeling better is important and being lighter will undoubtedly make me feel better all around. I think everyone has a sweet spot in terms of bodyweight where they feel strong and healthy. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stephen Ruby said:

I agree with Jermiah that carbs makes a big difference in workout performance so I try to just ensure I have a good balanced meal prior to training. I have been getting stronger since I started training again in all lifts on a deficit. I imagine it will slow down as I lose some of the muscle memory gains but feeling better is important and being lighter will undoubtedly make me feel better all around. I think everyone has a sweet spot in terms of bodyweight where they feel strong and healthy. 

Yes totally agree, I guess for me I am still searching for that sweet spot. 

I drink a carb powder before, during, and after all my workouts.  Currently, I am using Demo Day from Axe & Sledge. 

I'm 1.82m and 124kg right now.  As long as my nutrition is timed well before my workout, I don't really feel a difference if I'm cutting or not.

I had no idea you were a giant, @SteinWillems1. 😁

Edited by dubyagrip
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, dubyagrip said:

I drink a carb powder before, during, and after all my workouts.  Currently, I am using Demo Day from Axe & Sledge. 

I'm 1.82m and 124kg right now.  As long as my nutrition is timed well before my workout, I don't really feel a difference if I'm cutting or not.

That is absolutely massive! Really cool. Haha yeah I pretty tall 😅

10 hours ago, dubyagrip said:

I guess I am from a giants nest,my brother is 2m and my father is 2.06 m. 😉

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, SteinWillems1 said:

How much calories do you guys eat a day to keep make gains with grippers and to maintain your mass? @dubyagrip @Stephen Ruby @Jermiah Merciconah

I know you weren't asking me...

I'm way smaller than you guys but even i need over 3000 calories to break even.  I've been eating more and recovery has improved, but honestly i don't strictly count calories... 4000 seems to be right. Even that can become a chore. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I know you weren't asking me...

I'm way smaller than you guys but even i need over 3000 calories to break even.  I've been eating more and recovery has improved, but honestly i don't strictly count calories... 4000 seems to be right. Even that can become a chore. 

Thanks for replying! That is pretty much. I am around that also when I am maintaining weight

6 hours ago, SteinWillems1 said:

How much calories do you guys eat a day to keep make gains with grippers and to maintain your mass? @dubyagrip @Stephen Ruby @Jermiah Merciconah

I did bodybuilding for so long i dont even count anymore, but I'd say i eat around 3000 a day.  I don't do much strenuous stuff these days, and lifting weights burns so few calories its negligible.  When I'm riding my bike or training BJJ, then I'm burning around 5000 daily...

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, SteinWillems1 said:

I have found the body really finds it easy to stay at a weight you have been at for a while. I'm in the process of losing weight but since I would estimate my bodyfat is near 30% I just track protein intake to get roughly 300+grams a day and cut out old vices like snacks/alcohol.(plus track my steps to get around 10k which burns around 400-500 calories) I am slowly cutting but would guess I eat around 3500-4500 calories a day. My weight has dropped slowly(regained some lost muscle) but I have noticed waist size dropping and positive difference in the mirror so I know i'm improving. I will eventually use apps like myfitnesspal and weigh out food if I find I'm not making progress as I get leaner to be more strict. 

Keep in mind everyone has fairly drastic differences in calories needed to gain/lose so it's best to experiment with yourself on what you need. I know people half my size who eat the same and have trouble gaining due to their lifestyle and individual metabolism. 

Edited by Stephen Ruby
  • Thanks 1

To be honest i probably don't need to be as big as i am but for security its perfect, I'm currently maintaining on between 5000-6000 calories but have been pushing north of that for gaining strength in my other big lifts, But grip still seems to be getting stronger even at these maintenence calories

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

To be honest i probably don't need to be as big as i am but for security its perfect, I'm currently maintaining on between 5000-6000 calories but have been pushing north of that for gaining strength in my other big lifts, But grip still seems to be getting stronger even at these maintenence calories

Haha beastmode!💪

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dubyagrip said:

I did bodybuilding for so long i dont even count anymore, but I'd say i eat around 3000 a day.  I don't do much strenuous stuff these days, and lifting weights burns so few calories its negligible.  When I'm riding my bike or training BJJ, then I'm burning around 5000 daily...

Dang, people must hate doing BJJ with you and your grip.

Once i get stronger with my grip/bending i'd like to start doing BJJ. Then i'll probably be eating 5000 calories too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1