Gripper training questions

Nuttgens

1 minute ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Good to know, wow I had no idea they were that narrow lol! I always thought about buying some from Matt Cannon and geting them rated maybe someday I will. I only have 1 gripper in the 140's....a coc # 3 rated 147rgc from Matt. Still trying to catch up to gripper mutants haha. 

Nice. You aren’t far we can find a way to give you a shot at the 141 hg300 I think it would be quite a bit easier than a 147 #3. I wouldn’t mind comparing my ghp7 and coc 3 to a 147 just to see. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Nice. You aren’t far we can find a way to give you a shot at the 141 hg300 I think it would be quite a bit easier than a 147 #3. I wouldn’t mind comparing my ghp7 and coc 3 to a 147 just to see. 

Agreed it would be great to meet up someday. In the event that would happen I have alot of different grip tools so you could try out some new devices. One thing I own that may interest you is a Robert Baraban adjustable gripper.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Agreed, and the new standard cobalt grippers look glorious lol.

They really are. I have a standard iron(Fe) and its a real quality gripper.  The knurling is fantastic. As good as GHPs. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

They really are. I have a standard iron(Fe) and its a real quality gripper.  The knurling is fantastic. As good as GHPs. 

Good to know! GHP is hard to beat so that is saying something. 

• Like 1

Today’s training 

squat 4 sets 5 reps 320lbs

deficit deadlift 3 sets 6 reps 365lbs

GHR 3 sets 12 reps 

ab wheel 3 sets 30 reps 

• Like 2

Today’s training 

OHP 3 sets 8 reps 117.5lbs

swiss bar bench against bands 4 sets 8 reps 160lbs

Thumbless reverse grip curls 3 sets 10 reps 85lbs

skull crushers 3 sets 10 reps 87.5lbs

cable flies 3 sets 12 reps 85lbs 

DB curls 3 sets 10 reps 40lbs

the flask 3 sets 8 reps 152.5lbs + flask and pin

then 155x1, 160x1 165x1 170x1 PR 172.5x1 PR

then 175x1 + flask and pin a little short of lockout though.

a couple months ago this would be a body weight lift. I have been letting myself get a little fat though. I was 187 as of Sunday.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

Today’s training 

OHP 3 sets 8 reps 117.5lbs

swiss bar bench against bands 4 sets 8 reps 160lbs

Thumbless reverse grip curls 3 sets 10 reps 85lbs

skull crushers 3 sets 10 reps 87.5lbs

cable flies 3 sets 12 reps 85lbs 

DB curls 3 sets 10 reps 40lbs

the flask 3 sets 8 reps 152.5lbs + flask and pin

then 155x1, 160x1 165x1 170x1 PR 172.5x1 PR

then 175x1 + flask and pin a little short of lockout though.

a couple months ago this would be a body weight lift. I have been letting myself get a little fat though. I was 187 as of Sunday.

Sick PR on the flask! Would be nice to see you get 200 someday on this device. Just curious how tall are you? Are you a naturally lean guy? Its impressive not only the weights you lift but how the hell you stay that lean while doing loads of powerlifting/powerbuilding volume. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Sick PR on the flask! Would be nice to see you get 200 someday on this device. Just curious how tall are you? Are you a naturally lean guy? Its impressive not only the weights you lift but how the hell you stay that lean while doing loads of powerlifting/powerbuilding volume. 

Thanks man. I’m 6 foot tall I was a very lean 175lbs back around April. I am very close to being 190lbs and much less lean. But I am still fairly lean for now. So yeah basically I’m not staying lean I have been steady gaining weight and fat for months now.

Edited by Nuttgens
  • Like 3

Today’s training 

deadlift 4 sets 5 reps 405lbs

SSB squat 3 sets 8 reps 250lbs 

DB split squat 3 sets 17 reps 45lbs

ab wheel 3 sets 30 reps

• Like 1

And had some fun today with grippers 

warmed up coc 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, hg300

then coc 3 ccs

standard cobalt mms 

ghp8 mms attempt probably closest one yet 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

then coc 3 ccs

standard cobalt mms 

That CCS was clean! Good closes man!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

then coc 3 ccs

standard cobalt mms 

You've gotten very strong. Nice job!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rphilton said:

You've gotten very strong. Nice job!

Thanks man. 

Today’s training

low incline bench 4 sets 8 reps 200lbs

swiss bar row 4 sets 12 reps 170lbs

chin ups 3 sets 7 reps 55lbs

face pulls 3 sets 12 reps 155lbs

DB preacher hammer curls 3 sets 10 reps 40lbs

rolling thunder 3 sets 8 reps 137.5 + handle and pin

20 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

then coc 3 ccs

standard cobalt mms 

Now those were some very solid closes, great progress! Have you thought of getting that #3 rated to potentially start prepping for a cert? :) 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Alexander Koss said:

Now those were some very solid closes, great progress! Have you thought of getting that #3 rated to potentially start prepping for a cert? :) 

Thank you.
I don’t know if it’s worth the price to ship it to get it rated maybe just try to pick up a harder rated one or wait till I can do a couple reps with it. Or even wait till I can ccs my standard cobalt or something I don’t really know yet but that cert is starting to look within reach.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Thank you.
I don’t know if it’s worth the price to ship it to get it rated maybe just try to pick up a harder rated one or wait till I can do a couple reps with it. Or even wait till I can ccs my standard cobalt or something I don’t really know yet but that cert is starting to look within reach.

And isn't that the hard part haha. Do you just wait? Buy a new COC 3 and pray its an average-weaker gripper? Not an easy decision plus you have to justify it to your family who already watch us grip nerds spend lots on these gadgets lol. End of the day at least it's a good position to find yourself in.....ready to get on that almighty elusive coc 3 cert list. Still sucks though I'm sure you must have days where you think "damn, why can't I just be a 165rgc ccs closer" that way you could tear open a brand new coc 3 and destroy it for the cert. It's that weird middle ground where you think, crap what if I buy a new coc 3 and its the gripper from hell hahaha. 

Btw incredible attempt at the GHP 8, holy sh*t bro this year it looks like that's going to happen for you. Then make it a block set and get on the GHP 8 cert list.....EPIC!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

And isn't that the hard part haha. Do you just wait? Buy a new COC 3 and pray its an average-weaker gripper? Not an easy decision plus you have to justify it to your family who already watch us grip nerds spend lots on these gadgets lol. End of the day at least it's a good position to find yourself in.....ready to get on that almighty elusive coc 3 cert list. Still sucks though I'm sure you must have days where you think "damn, why can't I just be a 165rgc ccs closer" that way you could tear open a brand new coc 3 and destroy it for the cert. It's that weird middle ground where you think, crap what if I buy a new coc 3 and its the gripper from hell hahaha. 

Btw incredible attempt at the GHP 8, holy sh*t bro this year it looks like that's going to happen for you. Then make it a block set and get on the GHP 8 cert list.....EPIC!

Thanks man. 
yeah it’s really rough to know how strong you need to be before attempting it I’ll just keep getting stronger for now that doesn’t hurt.

That ghp8 attempt surprised me. Very close I think the ghp8 from mms might not be too far off.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nuttgens said:

Thanks man. 
yeah it’s really rough to know how strong you need to be before attempting it I’ll just keep getting stronger for now that doesn’t hurt.

That ghp8 attempt surprised me. Very close I think the ghp8 from mms might not be too far off.

Well if you ever need me to become a ref or something to judge a COC 3 close I'll volunteer for you. All we have is each other out here lol. Unless of course more Albertans get into grip and want to step up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Well if you ever need me to become a ref or something to judge a COC 3 close I'll volunteer for you. All we have is each other out here lol. Unless of course more Albertans get into grip and want to step up. 

Yeah I’ll take you up on that for sure.

• Thanks 1

Today’s training 

hg300 10 reps right 3 reps left 

ghp7 block set 1 rep right ghp7 mms failed left 

cobalt failed right hg300 2 reps left 

ghp7 mms 3 reps right hh300 2 reps left 

hg300 7 reps right coc 2.5 9 reps left 

coc 2.5 24 reps right 9 reps left 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

coc 2.5 24 reps right 9 reps left 

Damn, my forearms got tired just reading that! Nice work

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, stranger said:

Damn, my forearms got tired just reading that! Nice work

incase you were wondering what that looks like haha

• Like 1

More today 

low pin press 4 sets 4 reps 235lbs

DB row 4 sets 10 reps 100lbs

Swiss bar OHP 3 sets 6 reps 107.5lbs

Wide grip pull up 3 sets 6 reps 42.5lbs

EZ bar curls 3 sets 8 reps 100lbs

tricep rope push downs 3 sets 10 reps 120lbs

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

incase you were wondering what that looks like haha

Those are nice looking reps. Also, you had 25 if you wanted it. 

• Like 1