My Grip Log

Clay Edgin

Road To The Big One

I’ve been keeping a weightlifting journal since January but have not been keeping track of my grip strength endeavors. Maybe it’s because I haven’t really had any sort of specific goals in mind except to develop extremely strong hands, wrists, and forearms. I started grip training in February 2003. My wife bought me the Ironmind Trainer for Valentine’s Day and I was able to close it for 10+ reps with my right hand and 7 or 8 with my left the first day. My best Deadlift was still a hair under 400 and my grip was relatively weak. A month or so after playing with the Trainer, I bought the #2 and closed that with my right hand the first day. It took me a month of hard work for me to close it with the left. Today I can get a dozen reps with each hand easily. Then in the middle of May, I got my #3. I closed it after a half dozen tries. A month later I was certified on my #3, but my witness’ older single stamped #3 would not be closed that day. Today I can rep that one easily.

The purpose of this journal is to keep track of my gripping endeavors, and chronicle my road to closing the Ironmind #4 gripper, a feat which only one guy has done under certified conditions. Another has done it, but the details surrounding his close of it are sketchy and disputed. I know I can do it, but it’s going to be a journey that is filled with pain. I will be triumphant!

I’ve adopted a seven day a week training program for grippers, since hands can adapt quickly to bearing heavy loads daily. Some days are higher rep, some are lower, but they all will incorporate lots of singles on the grippers.

9/9/03

I received my Beef Builder Elite (BBE) which is tougher than an IM #3, but weaker than a #4. Most say it’s about a 3 1/3. I tried it about 10 times with the right and 7 or 8 with the left. My right hand is about 3/16” to 1/4" away from closing it and the left hand is 1/2" to 5/8” away from closing it. This thing is tough.

9/10/03

I brought the grippers to work today so I could work on them throughout the day. I was closest on the BBE after pulling Carlos’ van and having the blood pumping hard throughout my body. It might have gone down today.

Warmup - #1 10-15 times with right and left hand

BBE Attempts – 12

BBE Closures – 0

Closest Attempt: 1/16”

#3 Closes – 7 right, 0 left

#2 Closes – 10 right, 10 left

9/11/03

Hands are sore from all the heavy work yesterday, so today will be a lighter day.

Warmup – #1 10 times R and L

BBE Attempts – 3 R 0 L

BBE Closures – 0

Closest Attempt – 1/16” R

#3 Attempts – 6 R, 6 L

#3 Closes – 5 R, 0 L

Closest Attempt – 1/16” L

#2 Closes – 0

9/12/03

Hands feel better today, although my skin is dry and a little bit raw. The pain from my palms is a little distracting, but I expected that. Even without having a pump, I’m getting so dang close to closing that BBE. As soon as I do that, I’ll buy the BBSE and kill it! Or at least die trying. Or try dying. I'll figure it out.

Warmup – #1 10 times R and L

BBE Attempts – 8 R 0 L

BBE Closures – 0

Closest Attempt – 1/8” R 5/8” L

#3 Attempts – 6 R, 7 L

#3 Closes – 6 R, 0 L

Closest Attempt – 3/16” L

gripmaster, see my entry for 9/11. I was 1/16" away from closing it with the left.

Thanks Jon :)

• 4 months later...

Damn, I let this slip didn't I? I'll post last night's workout:

2/5/04

Warmup

5 reps with supergripper (SG) at easy setting (#1 level)

5 reps with SG at harder setting (#2 level)

Inverted reps same as above

3 singles with hard filed #2 each hand

Working Sets

1 single with #3 in each hand (fast close aka confidence builder)

1 single with filed Elite in right hand. Missed it in left by 1/8"

#4 attempts - 10 with right hand

Closest attempt - under 1/8", most attempts were 1/8" or 3/16"

Filed Elite Attempts - 10 with left hand, 1 with right (closed it)

Closest attempt - gnat's hair away from closing it. Maybe 1/16"

Cooldown

5 full rep no set closes with filed 2 either hand

Inch bell

14 attempts right, 12 left

Got some air under both globes tonight, maybe 4-5", before it started to slip. I did several full deadlifts with either hand while pressing a finger from my other hand onto the dumbbell to keep it from spinning and then trying to hang onto it without aid from my other hand. I guess you'd call them "Inch negatives"

Not bad, but not good enough! I think Friday's workout will be all about reps.

Edited by ClayEdgin

2/6/04

Warmup

5 reps on filed #2 (not closing fully, but just getting the blood moving)

same inverted

3 reps on #3 either hand

1 single on hard 3 each hand

Work Sets

RB300 attempts - 6

Closest Attempt - under 1/8"

#4 attempts - 8

Closest attempt - 3/16" (WTF!)

Cooldown

3 grinding reps with easy 3 each hand

Inch Bell

12 negatives each hand. It's feeling better and better every time I try it.

Nice to see the log updated Clay!!! Were those inch negatives as you described with the finger stabalizes the lift off the ground?? :rock

Jon@han

Yeah, it keeps the bell from spinning just enough for me to lift it. Once I get it to lockout, I start to release pressure with that bracing hand and then try to hang on like hell while the handle spins out of my hand. I've got weak thumbs, so trying to hang onto this thing is helping them get stronger I think.

Clay,

Ya do any blob work? Reps with 37.5 and five to ten second time holds at the of end of each set increase thumb strength big-time. I'ts probably all you need to conquer the inch. Best of luck. :rock

Thanks for the info Chuckie B. I don't own any blobs - besides, I think the best way to lift the Inch is to lift the Inch!

2/8/04

Went up to Richmond, CA (105mi north of me) to visit Fred Cordova and do some strongman event training. Got whooped up on by a 650lb conan's wheel and couldn't press the 250lb log overhead, but I had a good time and am very sore today.

Just one #4 attempt, and Fred said it was very close and well under 1/8". Just a credit card's width away. The rest of my grip workout was when I carried 255 per hand for ~185ft. After the first 100ft and the turn, I twisted my wrist a little bit and my pinky popped off the handle, so I walked the last 85 feet carrying 255 with three fingers in my weaker hand! Stupid fingers.

I brought my dynamometer and Inch bell with me and had the guys try it. Everyone had a good chuckle trying to lift it!

2/9/04

Warmup

10 reps with store-bought trainer (3.5" spread, tough like a Trainer) each hand

Same inverted

3 singles with filed #2 each hand

1 single with average/hard 3 each hand

Workout

2 attempts with RB300

Closest attempt - 3/16"

6 attempts with #4

Closest attempt - 3/16"

#3 closes - 5 left, 5 right

Cooldown

10 reps on store bought gripper, opening all the way between each rep

I am dog-ass tired from training strongman stuff yesterday and was NOT feeling like anything was going to close tonight. So I played around between attempts with different sets and stuff and think I came up with a good idea. I will have to work on this technique a bit and make my hands stronger, but I think it will be possible to close heavier grippers faster. Right now I have to scuff the chalk particles into the carpet before the wife finds them...

Thanks Rekx.

2/10/04

Warmup

5 squeezes with store bought gripper

2 filed #2 closes each hand

1 #3 close each hand

Workout

5 attempts at #4

Closest attempt - 1/4" (closed it braced)

3 attempts at RB300

Closest attempt - 1/8" (closed it braced)

Hands are pretty tender and puffy from yesterday and Sunday, and I can't shake this headache. Otherwise, didn't do too badly. The braced closes were pretty easy. Got blisters forming underneath my calluses on my right hand and they hurt like hell on those knurled handles. Enough bitching, more training!

2/11/04

Warmup

5 squeezes with store bought gripper

Workout

#4 attempts - 16 (closed 3x while braced and once more while in a choker)

Closest attempt - 1/8" (most attempts were in this zone)

12 #3 overcrushes with left hand, holding shut for 10 seconds each time.

Had a couple motivating conversations with Porkbone and Gorilla Hands tonight and got to work. I think it was a good workout, but I still haven't achieved my goal. So f-ing close that each failed attempt makes me want to immediately try again. My right hand is all beat to shit and tonight I tore off a deep chunk of skin on the ring finger. I just failed at shutting my filed 2 with this hand but still want to continue. flabbergastenpoopy the pain, flabbergastenpoopy the slow progress, and flabbergastenpoopy the #4. I WANT THIS!!!!!!!!!!

I won't fail. I won't be denied. I won't sleep good tonight either.

Keep after it Clay! :rock

2/15/04

Took a couple days off to let my hands heal up. They were just getting too beat up to do anything productive. Time off works! Did a late workout last night with my training partner, who now reps my '97 single stamped 3 and can no set it almost on command. What a freak. Took him about a week to close it once he got going.

Warmup

10-12 reps with storebought gripper each hand

same inverted

Filed #2 each hand

#3 close each hand

Workout

#4 attempts - 5

Closest attempt - um...I don't want this thread closed. Video will go to Bill soon.

#3 holds with left hand - 5 holds for 10 seconds

Cooldown

Beer

Yeah, good workout tonight.

#4 attempts - 5

Closest attempt - um...I don't want this thread closed.  Video will go to Bill soon.

Clay, congratulations on your progress. Thanks for sharing your thoughts & routines, they are both very inspirational.

Edited by odin

Nice work I can't wait to see the video!

Thanks guys.

2/17/04

Not feeling it tonight, but wanted to try to get this RB300 closed. The callous on my left palm has ripped open even more and started to bleed a little bit towards the end of the workout, so I didn't do much with the left hand. Also, the torn callous on my right ring finger started hurting too much to be productive, so I cut the workout short. Still not too bad though.

Warmup

12 slower reps with store bought gripper

Filed 2 close each hand

#3 close each hand

Workout

#4 attempts - 3

Closest Attempt - 2 were 1/16" or under according to training partner

RB300 attempts - 2

Closest Attempt - got it shut once, and missed it by 1/8" second time

I worked with my filed Elite in the left hand tonight. Failed to get it shut lefty, but the squeeze felt good. Also closed a couple #4's and the RB300 with a choker on which brought the handles to close to parallel.

I will be taking 3-5 days off to let my skin heal and get the strength back up.