770 lb Raw Bench Press - New Record Again

Chez

15 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I started shaving my head because I thought it was asinine for a guy to spend $20 a month to go get his hair cut.  Next thing you know, we'll all be sitting under hair driers gossiping about soap operas and whether Jimmy is cheating on Sally.

I've been cutting my own hair for over a decade. I agree paying for a haircut is a waste of money.

Most people shave their head because they're going bald. again, because they care about their appearance. 

8 minutes ago, king crusher said:

I've been cutting my own hair for over a decade. I agree paying for a haircut is a waste of money.

Most people shave their head because they're going bald. again, because they care about their appearance. 

Not me.  I have a full mane of hair.  I shave my head because it's easier than cutting and styling my hair.  Once again, looks never entered the equation.  I laterally don't understand modern "men" and their beauty routines.  Does not compute.  

Edited by Mike Rinderle

12 minutes ago, king crusher said:

This is crazy to me. I'd choose kirills and bench "only" 738 with perfect form showcasing real control over the weight, "man handling or owning it" vs looking like a ticking time bomb and needing to dive bomb the weight into a pillow of flesh to get the lift.

I would choose the world record.  What I looked like, would never enter the equation.  

2 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Not me.  I have a full mane of hair.  I shave my head because it's easier than cutting and styling my hair.  Once again, looks never entered the equation.  I laterally don't understand modern "men" and their beauty routines.  Does not compute.  

I don't either but still care about my appearance to some degree.  

I don't need to comb my hair because I keep it short enough.

My "routine" is shower, electric shaver and deodorant.  That's it.

2 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I would choose the world record.  What I looked like, would never enter the equation.  

But you care about your health? Can't have both my man. Julius is not long for this world at his current trajectory. 

Edited by king crusher

14 minutes ago, king crusher said:

But you care about your health? Can't have both my man. Julius is not long for this world at his current trajectory. 

And Kirill is?  We are not allowed to discuss how he got that body on this forum, but it wasn't from eating clean.

Nobody at that level is healthy.  Nobody.  Although I'd say Julius is probably a lot healthier than he was when he was an addict.

Just now, Mike Rinderle said:

And Kirill is?  We are not allowed to discuss how he got that body on this forum, but it wasn't from eating clean.

Nobody at that level is healthy.  Nobody.  Although I'd say Julius is probably a lot healthier than he was when he was an addict

I already stated kirill is not healthy either because 400lbs is not healthy. 

Being an addict and having a proper BMI would probably be better than current julius. Look at old rock stars like the rolling stones lol. Imagine what they have done in life. But they are active and maintain a proper BMI.  Isn't mick Jagger and Keith Richards like 180yrs old lol.

Kinda getting bored with this thread though. 

Yea, let's just agree to disagree.  Our lifting goals are very different.  I only ever cared about raising my 1RM on S,B,DL.  There was no other motivation. 

You lift for a variety of reasons: strength, health, looks, etc.

We're like Republicans and Democrats.  I make no sense to you and you make no sense to me.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Yea, let's just agree to disagree.  Our lifting goals are very different.  I only ever cared about raising my 1RM on S,B,DL.  There was no other motivation. 

You lift for a variety of reasons: strength, health, looks, etc.

We're like Republicans and Democrats.  I make no sense to you and you make no sense to me.

I don't think they are that different.  I lift to be strong, whole body strength is very important to me. I lift even through all my aches and pains creeping up.  I care a little about 1rm but not as much as I did even 5yrs ago. Now I stick to triples usually but do push that a bit depending how I feel.

I lift to stay strong as I age now. Being strong is as important as ever as we get older.

You guys can’t even agree to disagree 😂

• Haha 1

My Whole life I have lifted "to be ready" - and to me that meant ready for pretty much whatever came along.  A friend calls and says - powerlifting meet in 3 weeks, let's do it - if my training had been on track I could do it without undue risk of injury if not to an optimal level.  Another guy calls and says let's do a 3 day big wall climb - or a 20,000' peak - a triathlon  or whatever came along I could with a few weeks or months of skill work do nearly anything I felt like doing.  You can't think that way and reach your absolute potential in any one thing - and along the way my appearance stayed about the same over the years.  Different goals for different folks.  I'm happy with my choice as I imagine your guys all are.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, climber511 said:

My Whole life I have lifted "to be ready" - and to me that meant ready for pretty much whatever came along.  A friend calls and says - powerlifting meet in 3 weeks, let's do it - if my training had been on track I could do it without undue risk of injury if not to an optimal level.  Another guy calls and says let's do a 3 day big wall climb - or a 20,000' peak - a triathlon  or whatever came along I could with a few weeks or months of skill work do nearly anything I felt like doing.  You can't think that way and reach your absolute potential in any one thing - and along the way my appearance stayed about the same over the years.  Different goals for different folks.  I'm happy with my choice as I imagine your guys all are.

That's a good way to look at it. Being ready for anything you might want to do. Being well rounded is a great thing, maybe the most important aspect of strength for me. At the risk of bragging I'd put my name in the hat against anyone on this forum when it comes to a extremely wide variety of events in the strength/atletic ability world. I probably won't win one specific discipline but kind of how they judge a strongman contest, you need to score high in all areas to win. 

Edited by king crusher

19 minutes ago, king crusher said:

That's a good way to look at it. Being ready for anything you might want to do. Being well rounded is a great thing, maybe the most important aspect of strength for me. At the risk of bragging I'd put my name in the hat against anyone on this forum when it comes to a extremely wide variety of events in the strength/atletic ability world. I probably won't win one specific discipline but kind of how they judge a strongman contest, you need to score high in all areas to win. 

I would put up Andrew Durniat as the most well rounded athlete in grip. He is strong and an endurance athlete, would rank high in any set of events you could make and even if you invented a new sport he'd be great at that too. 

• Like 1

When I was in High School I wanted to try the Decathlon but it wasn't contested where I live.   I was good enough to "place" in about any event we had in T&F then.

Andrew is my all in one choice athlete - he can do anything and everything extraordinarily well.  Not just OK but very very good no matter what it is.

I don't know who he is. I bet hes between 195-220lbs though if he's good all around 

We could throw something wacky like distance underwater I can still swim 50m breaststroke underwater.  

Edited by king crusher

I think most people want to be well rounded but often to set a record you have to put a lot of time and energy into that discipline and it’s going to take away from the others. Plus, genetics for that discipline. Not everyone has the genetics to set a record. Julius for example has a strong squat and deadlift but it’s obviously not as good comparatively as his bench. He was made for this lift. 

Plus if you are good at something and know you have a chance at a record and enjoy the training, it makes sense to go for it 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Chez said:

I think most people want to be well rounded but often to set a record you have to put a lot of time and energy into that discipline and it’s going to take away from the others. Plus, genetics for that discipline. Not everyone has the genetics to set a record. Julius for example has a strong squat and deadlift but it’s obviously not as good comparatively as his bench. He was made for this lift. 

Plus if you are good at something and know you have a chance at a record and enjoy the training, it makes sense to go for it 

I think being able to set an absolute record is pretty much preordained by genetics - and I think being good all around is as well.  It's unusual for someone to get both gifts but it happens now and then.  

Edited by climber511
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, climber511 said:

I think being able to set an absolute record is pretty much preordained by genetics - and I think being good all around is as well.  It's unusual for someone to get both gifts but it happens now and then.  

I thinks it’s a combo. You need someone with great genetics but they may not have the absolute best genetics. True greatness in a discipline happens when you have genetics, workout ethic and dedication, resilience and intelligence to figure out the best ways to train and overcome obstacles 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

I thinks it’s a combo. You need someone with great genetics but they may not have the absolute best genetics. True greatness in a discipline happens when you have genetics, workout ethic and dedication, resilience and intelligence to figure out the best ways to train and overcome obstacles 

This - plus add in a little luck that you get no big injuries.  Which I guess is "resilience" as you stated :)

Edited by climber511
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, climber511 said:

This - plus add in a little luck that you get no big injuries.

Definitely, funny cause I was going to include that but held it out but luck is part of it 

2 minutes ago, climber511 said:

This - plus add in a little luck that you get no big injuries.  Which I guess is "resilience" as you stated :)

A love of food and a great bench coach doesn't hurt.  😂

47 minutes ago, king crusher said:

I don't know who he is. I bet hes between 195-220lbs though if he's good all around 

We could throw something wacky like distance underwater I can still swim 50m breaststroke underwater.  

Eddie Hall would take that bet.  Junior National Swim Champion until he tripled in size.  Still swims twice a week.  Here he is moving pretty fast while weighing 4 bills.

Edited by Mike Rinderle

42 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Eddie Hall would take that bet.  Junior National Swim Champion until he tripled in size.  Still swims twice a week.  Here he is moving pretty fast while weighing 4 bills.

Underwater hoss. And that's a 25m pool. Eddie hall doesnt have a chance.

I legit think the guy going against his was kidding or needs to learn how to swim haha. He's not even following through with his stroke.  Like hes holding back.

Edited by king crusher

9 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Underwater hoss. And that's a 25m pool. Eddie hall doesnt have a chance.

I legit think the guy going against his was kidding or needs to learn how to swim haha. He's not even following through with his stroke.  Like hes holding back.

Dude wasn't wearing goggles either. As a former swimmer it is WAY harder to go fast and focus on your stroke when you can't (bad word filter)ing see. My coach even got me prescription goggles so that it would be one less thing to worry about.

• Like 1

There isn't much more to say about the original topic of the 770 raw record. 

Y'alls can carry on, but I think we should rename the thread.  Any suggestions? 

We've actually kind of come around to another topic... The Rindo GPP Manly Man Test which dabbled in "what kind of fitness is desirable" and petered out with some swimming discussion. 

Should we merge this over there?