Captains of crush #2 (no set only) brought out on the town

No, no, no, no! Everybody smashes #2 in first session! You just have to show them how. They also must be well fed, must be mechanic or log fellers and married with strong wifes. Their children close no. 1 like nothing anytime.

Edited by Goran Paulinič
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

You stick to what you think is best, because you are not being paid to do any of this! This is just for fun guys, relax.

Indeed. 

When powerlifting guys try at CPW booths, it has been extremely uncommon for anyone to close a #2 even after some technique instruction. Just my own observation. 

Most guys are also not attracted to that feat. Blobs, hub plates, Flask, RT, all get a lot more attention.  

Usually nobody touches the grippers until Brouse comes around 😁

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

I don't think so. The #2 is not as easy as many think. Unless you have a deadlift that is huge (without any use of lifting straps) doesn't mean they will close the #2.

I know of people who can deadlift above 300 kg who can't close anything above the #2. Grippers require practice. It almost doesn't matter how strong you are if you're doing it wrong. If you're doing it completely wrong it really doesn't matter how strong you are in other lifts.

It's not easy for everyone to learn the technique in one session either. Some learn quick, some don't.

What are you considering a huge DL?  I have to think anybody who can pull 550 or above without straps, should be able to close a #2.  You guys are talking like the #2 is some difficult feat and it most certainly is not.  I closed the #2 the first time I picked it up and that was with horrible technique.  And my grip strength is average compared to most of the guys on this site.  I'm with Tommy on this one, I believe lots of guys can close the #2 first try, they just haven't been given the opportunity.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Okay so couple points I want to address here.

1. it just occurred to me why others don’t seem to find strong folks out there.. it’s because you lack the in-your-face personality I have.. 🧐

I am not timid to get right up in the middle of everything. Anywhere i go.

2. “I will stop when you stop.” Your actually saying this because you’ve made the decision to continue to bestow upon us more of you’re self loathing. Because you know I won’t stop gettin all up in these threads. 😁

Okay fine. Self hate away. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I can say that it doesn’t take a genius to see that every single person here really doesn’t want to hear it. As is vaguely evident in their responses to it. I’ve yet to get that same riff with my shenanigans. But the day I do, I shall change it up or take a break!

but no. No one has personal issues when they don’t want to see someone in their proverbial circle hate themselves all the time. And feeling some guilt for not helping, or having an eagerness to help is an obvious sign of compassion for others. So please don’t insult it?..

Rad story tommy. Love it when you sit on your pulpit and preach and then in the same thread act like a condescending asshat.

please continue 🙄🤣

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

People who have a talent for something always seem to think that something is easy for everyone because that's what it was for them. And the other way around, as well. 

Would be interesting to test it out with a decent group of strong powerlifters for two months or something and see the results. 

Personally I think along the lines of fist of fury. 

Yes. I've already met people who have 550+ DL that couldn't close the #2 first time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Goran Paulinič said:

This "big guy" must be skinny as fua.k! Shreded to the bone! You sure you didn't forget to add at least 30 pounds?

Nope. Looked like toothpicks glued together

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, KapMan said:

Rad story tommy. Love it when you sit on your pulpit and preach and then in the same thread act like a condescending asshat.

please continue 🙄🤣

Ugh... Shawn your impossible.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

Moral of my editorial- just because you cannot close a #2 first try doesn't mean you are not strong. Gripper strength is cool but all it means is you can close grippers. Pinch(1hp, 2hp), wrist strength, thick bar then grippers, in that order of importance.

And I thought this was just me. Definitely put grippers last and thickbar right behind,  but for me pinch is 1st and bending 2nd (need decent wrist strength for that.) Also depends what you respond to in training (not necessarily what you are initially good at) you'll tend to work that more.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, wobbler said:

And I thought this was just me. Definitely put grippers last and thickbar right behind,  but for me pinch is 1st and bending 2nd (need decent wrist strength for that.) Also depends what you respond to in training (not necessarily what you are initially good at) you'll tend to work that more.

Yes! I think most would agree pinch strength is most effective grip ability to have. Eric had the top 10 list in North America and they all had 2 things in common- Excellent pinchers and wrists of steel. Not all were great at thick bar and/or grippers.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Yes. I've already met people who have 550+ DL that couldn't close the #2 first time.

Me too. I know a guy who deadlifts 365 or so KG in a suit and raw he deadlifts 310 KG. Both using mixed grip and sub 100KG. He couldn't close a #2, heck he couldn't close a #1 only after I showed him how and that was super tough for him. But he said he had pinkie problems. But,,,,,,,,,,,dude has awesome open hand strength. His deadlift grip is awesome. On his first grip session he did 78Kg on the flask, lifted my 150 pounds FBBC inch and did the blob 45 with two fingers. He didn't attempt the blob50 but it was likely he could've gotten it.

• Like 3

I don't have any scientific studies but I'd guess open hand, thick bar type grip uses more slow twitch fibers as it's like a hydraulic vise type slow progression strength where as too gripper strength uses more fast twitch fibers as it requires very quick acceleration and activation of the hand and arm muscles. There is probably some truth to this

• Like 1

Findings of my 2nd outing with the # 2 gripper to my local barber shop that is also next door to a meat head gym with the big tractor tires outside. One or two of them always makes their way in as well as many working men that live in my rural community. 2 meat heads walk in. Very thick and forearms on par with mine. The barber knows I grip and started telling them about it. They appeared interested .  I just so happened to have my trusty number 2 in my pocket. Asked them if they wanted a go. Yea, they did. The first guy who was the bigger of the 2 tries it. Gets it parallel and was like “yea I closed it”. I made him aware the handles needed to touch. He tried again and not even close. He was extremely frustrated.

Second guy had the same exact results. No more than parallel. The bigger guy claimed a 600 pound deadlift. 

The rest of the patrons tried and not one of them came close as well.  

And the search continues..... 

52 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Findings of my 2nd outing with the # 2 gripper to my local barber shop that is also next door to a meat head gym with the big tractor tires outside. One or two of them always makes their way in as well as many working men that live in my rural community. 2 meat heads walk in. Very thick and forearms on par with mine. The barber knows I grip and started telling them about it. They appeared interested .  I just so happened to have my trusty number 2 in my pocket. Asked them if they wanted a go. Yea, they did. The first guy who was the bigger of the 2 tries it. Gets it parallel and was like “yea I closed it”. I made him aware the handles needed to touch. He tried again and not even close. He was extremely frustrated.

Second guy had the same exact results. No more than parallel. The bigger guy claimed a 600 pound deadlift. 

Loled at gripper just randomly in your pocket at the barbershop.

Now if you said you had a 20lb sledgehammer in your back pocket to test people I might be skeptical 

2 minutes ago, king crusher said:

Loled at gripper just randomly in your pocket at the barbershop.

Now if you said you had a 20lb sledgehammer in your back pocket to test people I might be skeptical 

The barber keeps asking me to bring it. I obliged. Just so happens it worked out with my thread here. Win win!

11 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

The barber keeps asking me to bring it. I obliged. Just so happens it worked out with my thread here. Win win!

Man we should coordinate where after a bunch of giants fail I walk up and they get to see a featherweight beat their max

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Wow. It is hard to fine people close a #1, never mind a #2. And yes I noticed many people who come close to closing the #1 or #2 (or even parallel) say "I closed it". Thanks for the update and please keep on updating us more than more. You will eventually find a guy that can close your #2.

I think I have only had two people close a #2 and only after I coached them on how to set. My brother in law (at least I’m pretty sure he got the #2) who works with his hands and my friend (he got the ghp 5 also) who can bench press 425 at like 190 body weight.

What’s funny is I have been handing people my weekly goal gripper and no has come close to chest crushing it with two hands. This week it’s my 194.5 lb rated super elite. They are always super shocked when I close it in front of them. 

Edited by Chez

10 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Find a yard or lawn crew and approach them with the gripper. Hand it to a thick looking driver or equipment operator. Hand it to a mailman. Go to a rodeo and hand it to a steer wrestler or a bull or bronc rider. Find a guy with a dirt bike in the back of his truck and ask him to try it. I’m betting you'll be surprised. Not only will most of those guys take it further than any of the cliche meat heads, but it’s likely a random guy like I mention will be you’re man.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Find a yard or lawn crew and approach them with the gripper. Hand it to a thick looking driver or equipment operator. Hand it to a mailman. Go to a rodeo and hand it to a steer wrestler or a bull or bronc rider. Find a guy with a dirt bike in the back of his truck and ask him to try it. I’m betting you'll be surprised. Not only will most of those guys take it further than any of the cliche meat heads, but it’s likely a random guy like I mention will be you’re man.

Yes for sure. But the point for me and this thread is to see who actually looks strong can actually close it. That’s my goal. To find one who has hustle behind the muscle. My 155 pound brother can close the #2 with no training but he turns wrenches all day, so I already know that’s true.

Just now, Joseph Sullivan said:

Yes for sure. But the point for me and this thread is to see who actually looks strong can actually close it. That’s my goal. To find one who has hustle behind the muscle. My 155 pound brother can close the #2 with no training but he turns wrenches all day, so I already know that’s true.

Steer wrestlers definitely look the part. And there is usually 5-6 at any given rodeo. The MX crowd has some strong looking guys also. Albeit usually sort of small like with bull riders and bronc riders. If you’re looking for strong guys in gyms, get a day pass to a local military base and try the guys out in that gym.

No steer wrestlers in the my area (40 mins north of nyc) Honestly, most guys in the tri state area lift to look good on the beach. I was making fun of guy I know at the gym for using those lifting hand pads for pull ups when the pull up bar was already covered with rubber. 

Edited by Chez

1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

The first guy who was the bigger of the 2 tries it. Gets it parallel and was like “yea I closed it”. I made him aware the handles needed to touch. He tried again and not even close. He was extremely frustrated.

These are all no set attempts, right? Whenever I let a random dude try a gripper I let them try whatever feels natural. If they fail, I show them how to set. Have you considered showing these guys what a gripper set looks like?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Steer wrestlers definitely look the part. And there is usually 5-6 at any given rodeo. The MX crowd has some strong looking guys also. Albeit usually sort of small like with bull riders and bronc riders. If you’re looking for strong guys in gyms, get a day pass to a local military base and try the guys out in that gym.

I will be taking it to the next local lumberjack festival in the summer. That should be interesting.

49 minutes ago, Chez said:

I think I have only had two people close a #2 and only after I coached them on how to set. My brother in law (at least I’m pretty sure he got the #2) who works with his hands and my friend (he got the ghp 5 also) who can bench press 425 at like 190 body weight.

What’s funny is I have been handing people my weekly goal gripper and no has come close to chest crushing it with two hands. This week it’s my 194.5 lb rated super elite. They are always super shocked when I close it in front of them. 

So your bench press buddy can't chest crush a Tetting SE? I always wondered how much hand strength is really involved in chest crushing grippers. To me it feels like it has very little to do with hand strength but maybe that's because my hands are stronger than my shoulders and chest?

10 minutes ago, Boulderbrew said:

These are all no set attempts, right? Whenever I let a random dude try a gripper I let them try whatever feels natural. If they fail, I show them how to set. Have you considered showing these guys what a gripper set looks like?

That’s exactly what I did. Try what’s comfortable first, and then proper hand placement. Of course it was proper no set placement I showed them, not CCS or MMS. I mentioned that in one of my first posts when @EricMilfeld asked the same question. 

Edited by Guest