Wrist Curls

Guest David Fralick

David,

One month ago your best 9 rep set was with 140, now you

are 30 lbs more (a lb a day!).

Excellent!

Please tell me this cannot continue indefinitely :D

Another month of similar progress and 200 for 9 is yours.

Very, very commendable, progress so far!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roark

• amaury

• Jonathan McMillan

• SilentDude

Guest David Fralick

I hope i can continue to progress like this for one more month. I had i bad workout today, did not have enuff time to really get into it(was late for work). :whistel But i still got in a so-so workout. I think ill try this workout agin saturday.

Oct. 3 2003

1x10 bar

1x6 135

1x6 155

1x2 175 :cry

Are you guys standing over a bench press rack? one of my problems going over 100 lbs is that its a greater effort stabilizing the bar unless I sit on a pad.

Guest David Fralick

Did not do any better this workout. I will rest a few days then try agin. I just started a new J O B :cry thats probley not helping much. Give me a week and ill be back in top form.

Oct. 4 2003

1x10 bar

1x6 135

1x6 155

1x2 175 :whacked

Edited by David Fralick

• 2 weeks later...
Guest David Fralick

Its been a 2 weeks since i worked on Wrist curls, but im back now. The rest did me good i was going to just get reps with 160. But 140 felt light so i went for 175.

Oct. 19 2003

1x10 bar

1x10 95

1x6 120

1x6 140

1x5 175

With any luck i'll be at 200 befor long! But i'll stick with 175 till i can get 8-10 reps.

David,

Solid progress. My workout is set for this morning, but my hands have hurt for the past few days, and my forearms do not feel recovered, so I may wait a couple more days. In my opinion, there can be no KTA type intensity for forearms- at least I cannot recover fast enough.

What are your plans now- workout when you feel ready? It has been a fortnight and you made gains!

When it comes to wrist curls, do you guys recommend higher reps to really go for the pump, or few reps at max weight? I was able to get 110# for about 3x but the form got sloppy on the last. And the ROM was crap. But I was able to get a good burn.

You may be correct. This morning I managed the empty bar for a set of ten,

then decided that the pain was a warning to back off. We will see what

Wednesday brings.

I wish David continued success and progress!

Guest David Fralick

Roark- I'm thinking, workout when i feel i've recovered from last workout. I feel you can only do heavy low reps training for so long, untill you have to rest for a few days or weeks to keep going up.

Chips- I like med-high reps to warm up. Low reps for the workout. But i don't think i'll be getting 19 inch forearms form this type for workout. If you want size i'd go with high reps low-med weight. If ya want to get stronger pattern your workout after Roark's, 4-5 sets in 20 pound jumps(i.e 20x10, 40x8, 60x6, 80x6, 100xwhat ever you can get).

Trying not to sound big headed, but I want both size and strength as fast as I can possibly get it. I know size doesn't equall strength, but it can't hurt either. But I;ll try for some higher reps tommorow. right now my forearms look pretty pathetic, but I'm willing to give it all I got including time to get there.Thanks for the tips. And by the way I've gotten a fountain of training knowledge just from reading Roark's posts :bow

I think I have this problem figured.

Two days ago, a painful set of wrist curls with the empty bar alerted me that was it for the day.

Today, suspecting that wrist curls over the pad are the problem in my case, I tried an experiment. Worked up to 165 for a set of 4 over the knees- just testing the waters- went well, no pain.

Took the same 165 over the pad, and pain shot into my inner right elbow immediately! Went down to 135 over the knees- no pain. Quit for the day, will try again Friday.

Wrist curls over the pad are easier for me, but over the knees are safer, so that is

the style I will be using until my elbow heals, and will be using probably, after it heals. Pity, because progress was coming.

I'll try to see how 185 feels Friday, but in any case, my reps, except for trying to

qualify for the 250 pound club, will not be under six for training purposes.

No doubt some of you know the stares of disbelief received when you explain that you injured your forearms doing wrist curls. Family and friends who do not share our interests look at you as though to say, "Well, let's see, how can this be AVOIDED!" Easy, I won't tell you next time I get injured :blush

I have found the same problem with using a pad vs using my knees.Unfortunately, stability is then a concern. I wish I could build a tall table and have it set with a pad at just above waist height to curl with. Anyway, with nearly 14" forearms, any injury causing inflamation is going to be noticable to others :)

chips,

Have you tried straddling the bench lengthwise, and keeping your

legs pressed against the bench for stability? Your forearms can then be put into a position where they are also aiming the force toward the bench rather than flaring

your thighs outward- which would be unstable.

Also, if you had a portable pad made so that it could be placed against your abs, and over your thighs, that might work for you.

Guest David Fralick

Over a pad is easyer for me, thow i do bruse the back of my wrist. But i get more pain when i try over my knees, feels like the bones in my wrists are coming apart on each rep.

Through trial and error I found that your idea about bracing the legs against the bench works best.David the wrist bones are coming apart when they are flexed to that degree. They slide over one another and are held in place only by soft connective tissue and the carpal ligament.Thats what makes them succeptible to hyperextension injury. Unfortunately for guys new to wrist curls like me, that means going real slow on adding weight. Too fast, and the ligaments don't get enough time to strengthen to prevent damage.

Guest David Fralick

I played around with one arm wrist curls last night got 85 easy but just missed 90. My numbers are going up agin, i will stick with 175 till i get 9-10.

Oct. 24 2003

2x10 95

1x6 120

1x6 140

1x7 175 :rock

I got to say, I love KTA training, but I cant bring myself to stop other forms of grip training. I have melded together my own routine using wrist curls, rollers, reverse grip barbell curls ( l love those for the extensors) and I focus more on makng PR's with those rather than going for the #3. After a two day rest, I felt like taking on a new chalenge. I got up to 90lbs on my wrist roller for 3 sets. and I toasted my flexors curling a lighter weight ( 70lbs ) for 20 blistering reps for 3X.

you guys doing wrist curls, do you hang your wrists over a bench?

After some very easy workouts because my left wrist felt as close to broken

as it could feel without being broken (I hope), and my right inner elbow

screaming at me, I tried wrist curls, carefully this morning.

Over knees:

bar x 12

95 x 10

115 x 6

140 x 6

160 x 6

180 x 6

200 x 2 (third rep probably possible, but I'm tired of hurting!)

160 x 6 (over pad)

So far I feel good.

Thats still some amazing weight. I am finally able to add a few plates other than just a couple of fives. I keep thinking I should devote a whole workout to wrist curls only and try to get into the 125-135lb range, but I usually am doing a ton of other stuff.

Guest David Fralick

I've had my mind on other thing here of late. I plan on redoubling my efforts so i can get 200 befor my birthday on Dec. 22. I'll be 26 by the way.

Nov. 7 2003

1x5 95

1x5 110

1x5 130

1x5 150

1x7 170

1x21 110

1x13 110