"3 1/2" Certification List

EricMilfeld

Does anyone else long for an official list for which to certify that falls about midway between a three and the nearly impossible four? Even if the list was sponsored by a manufacturer other than Iron Mind, I think it would provide a lot of us strong guys something else for which to train real hard and brag about accomplishing, without the prerequisite of having the "gorilla hands gene" to make the grade.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matt Van Weele

• mobsterone

• Rob Vigeant

• thomas straub

Warren Tetting has mentioned a desire to start a Certification process for his line of grippers, but I don't know where he is in that process.

BC.

Warrens also mentioned that to me. He said getting certified is going to be a lot harder. I think he might have been implying no set will be aloud. That ought to knock the list down.

I will say that I think an additional benchmark is gonna be needed here pretty quick, cuz the #3 certs seems to be steaming along at a record pace. So to me as a guy who's still a penny width away from the #2 (It'll fall next session), it seems like either no set or a 3 1/2 might make sense. It's not that the #3 is getting easier, and I think the #3 closers still deserve the recognition, but it just seems like pretty quick here there's gonna be hundreds of #3 closers, and unless the #4 starts dropping for people, we've got super-elite gripsters who are gonna get "lost in the crowd" of #3 closers. Am I making any sense? Maybe the #4 will start dropping the way the #3 did a few years back, in which case my ramblings are moot. :whacked

Maybe he will allow a little set but none of that jamming the handles down to a inch or less. A no set would be fine with me. I think it tests more the overall strength of the hand. Kind of makes the hand strong in all positios.

I like the idea of a no set not being aloud. it gives guys with a smaller hand much more of a challenge, and it makes it more recignizable. I love a challenge.

I am slowly making progress with my SS Elite. Notice I said the word, "slowly". It is a tough uphill, since the gripper is more like a #4 to me than a #3. That's my "in-between" from the #3 to #4.

Maybe the #4 will start dropping the way the #3 did a few years back, in which case my ramblings are moot. :whacked

I dont know about that. I think the 3 is possible for most men with

determination and training but, the 4 IMO maybe for the geneticly

gifted.

Snott how close are you with that brick. My REGULAR elite feels like a brick to me. The sweep feels as hard as my 4.

Good Snott, keep it up! I've have made good progress with my Silver Spring Elite....down to the last 1/32" ( lefty ) :rock . It's funny though, when comparing my Silver Spring Elite with my #4( vintage 1997- single stamped ), the #4 is light years away from it. At the most, when comparing my Silver Elite with my 3 #3's ( one #3 is vintage 1997, the hardest, and the two other #3's are 2002 and 2003 vintage) & #4, my Silver Elite is a "3 1/3". I just hope that when I do order my Super Elite, I'll find that it is harder than my Silver Elite, but not really close to my #4..if so, I'll need to order another Super Elite.... :laugh:laugh:laugh:tongue

A certification process for the elite is definatly in the works. I have a few more ideas to bounce off Warren. Don't want to say too much because nothing is finalized yet.

I guess I better hurry up and buy an elite. But then again, if there's a no set rule... :(

I guess I better hurry up and buy an elite. But then again, if there's a no set rule... :(

Not for sure but I get that impression the way Warren talks about the set.

I think within a couple of years or so, the 4 will be dropping just like the three has. I know I will eventually close it. Plus theres a handfull of people who have videos posted on here that are millimeters away. They'll probably certify this year. I think the four is a lot like the four minute mile, in my opinion. It IS possible, just very tough.

basically, as grip training becomes more popular, more people will gain interest, and the three list will grow. I think that is a lot of what has happened with the three list.

Jedd I have to disagree with you. I think if you look at the people in those videos (and i dont know any of them personally) you will find

some genetically strong individuals that WILL close the #4 but there

are people that have taken 3 years with tons of dedication to close

the #3. I think after the elite, super elite, and #4 the numbers will go

down dramatically IMO. Just out of curiosity the ones that are close

(Dave,Heath,Tommy,Nathan and Wade) sorry if i missed someone

that is just as close. How long did it take you guys to close the #3 after the first time you touched a gripper?

After speaking with Dale Harder on the subject of hand strength, I've come to accept a different standard of superior hand strength - pulling 100kg on a grip dynamometer. As Dale says, there are a couple hundred guys who can close the #3, but the list of guys who can pull 100kg is very short.

As a side note, you'll probably see that 100kg is only 220 pounds. "But," you say, "if I can close my #3 and it is supposed to be 280 pounds, why can't I pull 100kg on the dyno?" All grippers are not created equal!

I think within a couple of years or so, the 4 will be dropping just like the three has. I know I will eventually close it. Plus theres a handfull of people who have videos posted on here that are millimeters away. They'll probably certify this year. I think the four is a lot like the four minute mile, in my opinion. It IS possible, just very tough.

basically, as grip training becomes more popular, more people will gain interest, and the three list will grow. I think that is a lot of what has happened with the three list.

I disagree.

It would be happening already if that was the case.

The 4 is on a whole different level than a 3.

As a side note, you'll probably see that 100kg is only 220 pounds. "But," you say, "if I can close my #3 and it is supposed to be 280 pounds, why can't I pull 100kg on the dyno?" All grippers are not created equal!
280lb. in the middle of the handle. We put as much force as possible near the ends (more leverage).
I disagree.

It would be happening already if that was the case.

The 4 is on a whole different level than a 3.

True, but it would make sense that as there are more and more Coc's the #4 list will lengthen. Maybe some day we will have 10 certified #4 closers and several hundred Coc's.

I do think that it takes well above average potential to ever close a #4, even if you train for decades.

I agree with your disagree, Wannagrip.

At this point, it looks as though there may be a handful (no pun intended) who will accomplish the goal in due time. But the levels are so vastly different between a #3 and #4, that the list will grow very slowly.

Guest gripmaster316

I think you are right Wanna...

I am just curious to know, after Wade, Dave Morton, Tommy, Nathan Holle and Heath get certified when they close the 4 who is after them. Is there anyone else closing in on the 4?